(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

It's pretty clear who the real finalists are for this job in terms of GM/Coaching pairings.

It's down to 3 HCs/GMs

GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio, HC: Josh McDaniels      

GM: Andrew Berry, HC: Kevin Stefanski

GM: Eliot Wolf, HC: Mike McCarthy

-----

Aside from the quality of the individuals, the structure of power dynamics between the Head Coach and Lead Personnel Exec is meaningful.

For me, there's more power balance with the Berry/Stefanski and Wolf/McCarthy pairings as Dave Ziegler has no GM experience and is thought to basically be the de facto GM in title with Josh McDaniels having the real power in the organization.  It's been recently reported that Nick Caserio may no longer be likely to leave New England to join McDaniels as he may have a standing godfather deal from Robert Kraft. Previously, Caserio desired to leave because of how New England blocked his hiring with the Texans.

Berry out of the 3 GMs has proven to be the least political being based on reports out of Cleveland, New England, and Green Bay. 

Who's your preferred pairings?

Edited by Mind Character

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Topic that says “Polls” that has no poll options.

Give me Kevin Stefanski. I’m not entirely sold on Andrew Barry but I’m not opposed to him either. My least desirable of those options is Josh McDaniels.

Yeah my bad lol. Thanks.

Just updated the thread, added the polls., and made it so votes are public.

It will likely go as previous searches have gone... Key elements suggest one thing (McDermott, McDaneils, Stefanski again) and Jimmy/the Haslam's going with their gut in another direction (Hue, Freddie, McDaniels this time).

When inevitably the Haslam's ignore DePodest or key members of the Strategy/Coaching Search team, let's just hope the 3rd time they do so it does end in epic failure as it has time and time and time again.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Josh McDaniels and Nick Caserio.

However, this is not me saying Stefanski will not have success somewhere else. I just don’t think he’d have success with our current franchise.

Stefanski and Shurmur could be great, maybe a guy like Richards to run the defense.

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

Josh McDaniels and Nick Caserio.

However, this is not me saying Stefanski will not have success somewhere else. I just don’t think he’d have success with our current franchise.

Could end up changing, but Albert Breer, Adam Schefther (plugged in to New England especially), Jason La Canfora, and many others have all reported that Caserio is not at all likely to leave New England to join McDaniels and that it would be Ziegler and/or Scott Pioli instead with Ziegler being the hands down favorite in McDaniels mind.

Even taking into account draft position and missing high round picks, there have been plenty of analysis articles on the quality of the Patriots draft selections. Contrary to popular belief,  the team thrives through player development with its 1st to 3rd round picks fizzling out or becoming complete non-factors.

A Wolf-Berry Front office would likely be stronger than a Ziegler-McDaniels front office where the Coach serves as the leading force in personnel decisions. 

I really hope we can pair Wolf and Berry together as opposed to picking one over the other.

It would also be interesting to pair Wolf-Berry with Mike McCarthy.

Edited by Mind Character

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Could end up changing, but Albert Breer, Adam Schefther (plugged in to New England especially), Jason La Canfora, and many others have all reported that Caserio is not at all likely to leave New England to join McDaniels and that it would be Ziegler and/or Scott Pioli instead with Ziegler being the hands down favorite in McDaniels mind.

No Caserio would change things, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

I mean do we really believe that if the Haslam's are ultimately making the hire, that the decision hasn't already been made?  They have either interviewed, or worked with almost all these guys.  I doubt that another interview will change what they already believe.  Now whether that pairing is based on their own line of thinking, or what has been suggested by Depo is the only question.

The only way I will believe otherwise is if we end up with Saleh, or another random candidate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

No Caserio would change things, but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I agree that Caserio is on different level compared to Ziegler. I updated Caserio/Ziegler as the poll option.

Interestingly enough Caserio beat out McDaniels for the starting QB position at John Carroll and the two have a more eye to eye relationship. Caserio would not be his subordinate but instead his equal and co-worker. Ziegler is thought to be more of the George Kokinis to Eric Mangini in terms of GM/HC power dynamics.

After Houston tried to get Caserio last year, apparently Caserio was extremely upset that the Patriots basically blocked his joining them by filing tampering charges with the league.  To make the peace with Caserio, it's been reported that Kraft has a standing godfather offer on the table for Caserio should he choose to stay.  That's led many reporters including those that as recently as a month ago thought Caserio was leaving New England for certain to now believe that Caserio will stay in New England.

There's the outside chance that Caserio could still leave.  Will be interesting to see what's what in the next few weeks.

Edited by Mind Character

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I agree that Caserio is on different level compared to Ziegler.

After Houston tried to get Caserio last year, apparently Caserio was extremely upset that the Patriots basically blocked his joining them by filing tampering charges with the league.  To make the peace with Caserio, it's been reported that Kraft has a standing godfather offer on the table for Caserio should he choose to stay.  That's led many reporters including those that as recently as a month ago thought Caserio was leaving New England for certain to now believe that Caserio will stay in New England.

Will be interesting to see what's what in the next few weeks.

Interestingly enough Caserio beat out McDaniels for the starting QB position at John Carroll and the two have a more eye to eye relationship. Caserio would not be his subordinate but instead his equal and co-worker. Ziegler is thought to be more of the George Kokinis to Eric Mangini in terms of GM/HC power dynamics.

Can't have that.  Not going through that nonsense again, where the coach has ultimate power, and the GM is just a figure head.

• Like 1