Bears hire Juan Castillo as OL Coach

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Pat would be a great pick up for OC. I just can't see Nagy giving up play calling duty, I would be impressed if he did. He claims to self-scout all the time, let's see if he takes action.

Him giving up playcalling would have me eating my words, and would impress the hell out of me. I think Nagy is great at keeping the locker room together, much like Lovie was, but he is also great at play design. To me, he isn't showing anything at developing QBs or having a good feel for when to call plays.

Maybe Tru was a borderline hopeless case but he showed enough to make me think otherwise his first two years. 

1 hour ago, G08 said:

"It's Kafka"

"No no, wait, it's nobody"

"BAH GAWD THAT'S PAT SHURMUR'S MUSIC!!!"

I haven't watched wrestling since a few months after it became WWE and still read that in Jerry Lawler's voice. lmao

29 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Him giving up playcalling would have me eating my words, and would impress the hell out of me. I think Nagy is great at keeping the locker room together, much like Lovie was, but he is also great at play design. To me, he isn't showing anything at developing QBs or having a good feel for when to call plays.

Maybe Tru was a borderline hopeless case but he showed enough to make me think otherwise his first two years. 

I haven't watched wrestling since a few months after it became WWE and still read that in Jerry Lawler's voice. lmao

Jim Ross' voice* ;)

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

I am not sure why Bill is choosing to die on the Leno is good hill.

As PFF Steve retweeted those numbers have nothing to do with individual OL performance on the play. Leno could get beat and Montgomery makes a nice cut and the play still goes for 4 yards.

It also does not take into account defensive alignment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

People also like to point to Leno's 90% pass block win rate.

-90% is pretty average

-He gets the 4th most help of any starting LT.

-7 sacks

-13 penalties.

He just isn't good enough.

He was garbage in 2019. Oddly enough, one can argue that was an anomaly instead of the norm. 

I am not so sure and I worry about that spot next year. 

When I looked hard at Mitch last offseason (boy was I wrong) the surprising thing that I noticed about the rest of the offense was that Leno killed a lot of plays with bad run blocking in 2018.  I don't think this is an anomaly.  He's great value for a 7th rd pick and on an average contract, but he delivers play that I'd say hovers around average. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, G08 said:

He was garbage in 2019. Oddly enough, one can argue that was an anomaly instead of the norm. 

I am not so sure and I worry about that spot next year. 

They need to add someone to compete with those bums. I do not think it is priority #1, but it has to happen at some point in the draft.

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They need to add someone to compete with those bums. I do not think it is priority #1, but it has to happen at some point in the draft.

It seems every time I see a slow motion clip of any random run play I am seeing guys getting beat clean or blocking wrong people or even falling down when Long was in there. 

OL/TE blocking was literally keystone cops in 2019.  I have seen worse, but not often. 

• 2 weeks later...

All Access on Castillo was interesting.

He was a LB in USFL and broke into coaching because OL was only opening at a college where a friend wanted to hire him.

So he went lived in his car and drove around learning from top O line coaches around the country.  I have long talked about this in random threads.  Football coaching is a funny fraternity with some strange traditions.  A LOT of guys will teach you if you just ask. Doesn't matter all that much who they are or who you are.   Or they used to back in young internet days.

Even Oklahoma learned wishbone from rivals and then dominated with it. Or maybe it was Nebraska.   I can't remember exact story, but point is coaches teach each other stuff and don't generally hold back.  Even rivals.  

I was just a youth coach and I went to some clinics and got some phone numbers.  Also found some guys off of message boards.   I would literally just call or email a guy, and he would spend hours talking to me about whatever I wanted to know.  It's not everybody of course, but lots of old coaches are like this.

Kinda crazy.  I don't know any other industry that is like that.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

All Access on Castillo was interesting.

He was a LB in USFL and broke into coaching because OL was only opening at a college where a friend wanted to hire him.

So he went lived in his car and drove around learning from top O line coaches around the country.  I have long talked about this in random threads.  Football coaching is a funny fraternity with some strange traditions.  A LOT of guys will teach you if you just ask. Doesn't matter all that much who they are or who you are.   Or they used to back in young internet days.

Even Oklahoma learned wishbone from rivals and then dominated with it. Or maybe it was Nebraska.   I can't remember exact story, but point is coaches teach each other stuff and don't generally hold back.  Even rivals.  

I was just a youth coach and I went to some clinics and got some phone numbers.  Also found some guys off of message boards.   I would literally just call or email a guy, and he would spend hours talking to me about whatever I wanted to know.  It's not everybody of course, but lots of old coaches are like this.

Kinda crazy.  I don't know any other industry that is like that.  

That is really interesting and I agree very different from other industries where protecting information and practices is normal. On another note - how did you get into coaching?

22 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

That is really interesting and I agree very different from other industries where protecting information and practices is normal. On another note - how did you get into coaching?

My dad coached public middle school when I was growing up.  He coached my older brothers, but then stayed with it for a long time just coaching for fun of it, he even came and coached me one year in the 7th grade.   

When I graduated college I took a year and just worked random jobs before law school.  I went and coached at one middle school he used to coach at for a year and I loved it.  My team won the title in my first year.  I was just 21.

Then many years later I moved to suburbs and was working and one of my older brothers best friends kids was starting football in same area I lived in.  He had volunteered to help coach his kids team.  HC of that team didn't know much so he knew I was in area and knew I had coached before.  So he called and asked (begged) me to come help the team.  (He is hyper competitive).

We won the title that year and I kept coming back for like next 8  years or so while his kids went from 8 to 14 through different levels.  We did very well.  Then I coached a handful more teams and called it quits 3 - 4 years ago or so when parents got too nuts for my taste.

There were always crazies, but they were getting crazier and more of them and my patience was getting shorter.  Plus I really spent so much time learning football that I neglected my career and family.

I always wanted to get a high school cert and go coach full time, but I couldn't find time or money with a young family and student loan debts already.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

My dad coached public middle school when I was growing up.  He coached my older brothers, but then stayed with it for a long time just coaching for fun of it, he even came and coached me one year in the 7th grade.   

When I graduated college I took a year and just worked random jobs before law school.  I went and coached at one middle school he used to coach at for a year and I loved it.  My team won the title in my first year.  I was just 21.

Then many years later I moved to suburbs and was working and one of my older brothers best friends kids was starting football in same area I lived in.  He had volunteered to help coach his kids team.  HC of that team didn't know much so he knew I was in area and knew I had coached before.  So he called and asked (begged) me to come help the team.  (He is hyper competitive).

We won the title that year and I kept coming back for like next 8  years or so while his kids went from 8 to 14 through different levels.  We did very well.  Then I coached a handful more teams and called it quits 3 - 4 years ago or so when parents got too nuts for my taste.

There were always crazies, but they were getting crazier and more of them and my patience was getting shorter.  Plus I really spent so much time learning football that I neglected my career and family.

I always wanted to get a high school cert and go coach full time, but I couldn't find time or money with a young family and student loan debts already.

That's pretty cool. I think coaching could be such an awesome job to have at that level. It's something I'm considering as my second career once I can retire early. 

• Like 1