Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

On 1/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Underrated if anything... Come on people.

This.

Not only that, but I think Brady, Manning and Brees are the best QBs to ever play. People won't want to admit that because they all played at the same time. But regardless of the era, he just does things that other QBs haven't done.

And through all of Brees' career, who is the best WR he's had? He's had so many. It's probably Michael Thomas, who he's only had for a few years.

22 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Its not even a hypothetical anymore.
Both Teddy Bridgewater and Taysom Hill have flourished under his tutelage

That is a great point. Proof that guys with completely different skill sets have done well. Takes nothing away from Brees, but does make the idea that Rivers would be a better quarterback if he had Payton for 10 years more than plausible.

He is a 103.9 rated home QB and a 92.8 rated road QB. That's a huge difference of +11.1

• Matt Ryan is 97.8 to 91.8  +6.0 difference
  • Romo was 97.2 to 97.1  +0.1 difference
  • Brady is 98.5 to 95.6  +3.1 difference
  • Joe Montana was 89.4 to 95.2  -5.8 difference
  • Peyton Manning was 98.8 to 93.3 +5.5 difference
  • Rodgers is 107.3 to 97.8  +9.5 difference
  • Russel Wilson is 103.2 to 99.2  +4.0
  • Rivers is 95.6 to 94.6  +1.0
  • Warner was 96.8 to 90.9  +5.9
  • Roethlisberger is 98.9 to 89.3  +9.6
  • Young was 100.3 to 92.9 +7.4
  • Cousins is 99.9 to 94.0  +5.9
  • Dak is 101.1 to 92.9 +8.2
  • Wentz is 98.1 to 87.5  +10.6

In this list of the top 15 rated QBs, Brees is the 11th best rated road QB.

If he is the 2nd best statistical home QB and the 11th best statistical road QB and is 8-8 in the playoffs does he come out around 7th-10th best maybe?

His completion % numbers belong in proper context:

He plays more of a game manager short passer role now. (of course he is capable of occasionally going nuts like this December but that's not his normal offense)

Check out the yards per completion numbers year over year. You have to go back to 2012 to find Brees in the top half of the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

Dink and Dunk will always yield a higher completion %. He is the greatest ever at dink and dunk. But it is dink and dunk.

• Air yards stats back this up

Teddy was 5-0 in that offense at 10.4 yards per completion (good for 30th best along with Wentz throwing to practice squad dudes)

Wentz was 4th at 12.4 in 2017 when he was in the MVP race and Philly was 11-2 before his injury

Goff was 

FYI - part of Brady's recent statistical decline is seeing his 6th and 8th ranking in yards per completion in '16 and '17 fall to 14th and 23rd the last 2 years.

Brees' decline in that statistic started in 2013.

• He had 22 TDs to 4 picks in the playoffs before 2013 and 12 TDs to 8 picks since.

Maybe dinkin' and dunkin' is not built for the playoffs?

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 3:35 PM, Silver said:

Drew Brees to me is Dan Fouts with a Super Bowl ring. Is he among the greats? Yes, all time top 10? No way.

Among current era QB’s in their prime who were considered amongst the best with the game on the line, he is among the last I would take. He wilts in the moment more than Brady, Manning, or Rodgers.

His stats did get a slight pad but I am not going to hold that against him, he still made the passes and touchdowns, regardless of the defense he played against.

Lastly, no one here can be serious about the legends of the game playing with todays rules. Montana, Moon, Marino and many others would be unstoppable with the way defense is limited to defend these days.

Prove it.  Show were he wilts. 

19 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

QB's I'd take over Brees All Time

Brady

Manning

Favre

Elway

Rodgers

Marino

Montana

Staubach

Unitas

Graham

Brees is in a club consisting of Steve Young, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Dan Fouts and others. Longevity giving him the gaudy stats over those others in the perfect era for it

I would take Favre, Brady off the Patriots, Elway, Montana, Staubach, Unitas or graham over Brees. The only Qb's that are at throwing he football are Rodgers, Manning, Wilson and Marino. The rest are good QB's on great teams 

"Overrated" is such a subjective term, even when using certain qualifiers like "Top 10 of all time."  

I can't think of many seasons I would take Brees over every other quarterback in the league, but he has been pretty consistently top 2-5 for most of the seasons he's been in the league.  And, that's gotta tell you all you need to know that it would be hard to consider anyone like that "overrated."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Its not even a hypothetical anymore.
Both Teddy Bridgewater and Taysom Hill have flourished under his tutelage

It was obvious watching Teddy play, he wasn't what Brees was.  He missed wide open guys that Brees almost never does, doesn't make decisions as quickly, doesn't command the offense like Brees.   He went 5-0 primarily because the defense was elite during that stretch.  

As far as Taysom Hill goes, we haven't seen him with full control of the offense while playing with the starters in a meaningful game, so it remains to be seen.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It was obvious watching Teddy play, he wasn't what Brees was.  He missed wide open guys that Brees almost never does, doesn't make decisions as quickly, doesn't command the offense like Brees.   He went 5-0 primarily because the defense was elite during that stretch.  

As far as Taysom Hill goes, we haven't seen him with full control of the offense while playing with the starters in a meaningful game, so it remains to be seen.  

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Do you know what I was responding to?

He is just trolling. 

Brees in 10 games has 27 TDs and 4 Ints. That was better than any Qb in the league in that span. 

Brees also is one of the most accurate short throwers, mid range throwers, and deep ball throwers at all time. 

Also despite his recent failures Brees still might have the best Playoff QBR of all time and Monday Night QBR of all time. 

Its all just trolling. You pick any Qb you want and there accuracy overall does not match Brees period. 

Nor does his elusiveness in the pocket. Don't be afraid to hype up your Qb. He is a top 5 of all time. 

Edited by MrnastiesNO

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This.

Not only that, but I think Brady, Manning and Brees are the best QBs to ever play. People won't want to admit that because they all played at the same time. But regardless of the era, he just does things that other QBs haven't done.

And through all of Brees' career, who is the best WR he's had? He's had so many. It's probably Michael Thomas, who he's only had for a few years.

No "probably" necessary lol.