2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

19 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

Some of you guys are going absolutely mental over this press taylor thing. I want him gone too but damn you guys are acting like promoting him is going to set back the eagles 20 years and erase the sb win from existence.

Does seem to be mostly conjecture or just voicing of our worst fears.

I mean it's not like hiring an OL coach as Defensive Coordinator...won't be the most baffling move the franchise has made recently.

But it's a dumb move, because you had him in the room already, and all offensive coaches get a chance to be heard and flex their opinions. Our offense was so crappy last year, that even if he was the one in charge of the most successful parts of the passing game...it still isn't good enough. 

Duce also unfortunately is a wildcard if he gets it, because Stoutland has more to do with the run game coordination. Though at least with Duce you know he has the attention of his guys, which a lot of speculation has been Press hasn't been able to command as well.

We have a window that is closing, and have a shot to reopen it.
Way we do that is make an offense Carson can thrive in, because elite QB play makes a lot of other stuff easier. If we keep with this plodding attack we're not going to do anything.

Yeah getting draft picks with speed will help. But you can't always get those guys. You need to be able to scheme guys open too. 

Can’t help but go back to recent history of hiring Groh, which no one liked, and the mistake that it was. He sat up at a presser and said Mack Hollins was grading out well. That’s something I can’t hear from an OC. There’s blowing smoke and then there’s absolute nonsense. It makes me think you’re completely oblivious or too stubborn to change anything. Neither of which are good things. Doug seems like a guy that doesn’t want his way challenged often and more in-office guys will offer the same. I just want a guy that stands up for himself and will get fired is he has to just to make sure the offense isn’t banging their collective heads against the wall. Sproles, Agholor, an injured Alshon, passing 50 times are just mistakes that could have been lessened with a stronger voice in the coaches room. Groh just seemed to ride it out status quo and looked where that got him. Taylor just seems like same guy, different face. Need someone in here with some clout. Hell, even Kafka can say he played the game at the professional level and even that should be enough to challenge Doug. Gruden would be my hire. He’s been around enough to get that swag around the team. 

• Like 1

I just think we're all ready for an outside voice to come in with fresh ideas and perspective. Totally unrelated to the existing staff or past staffers. After these last 2 years of stagnant offense and ideas, it's hard to be okay with promoting from within since that's what led to said stagnant offense.

19 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Hopefully Lurie's telling Doug if you bring in another inexperienced coordinator or promote from within you have to add a senior adviser. 

I don't even care if it's someone like Kafka who's young, just someone who's built their own way of doing things from outside of this organization.

At this point, I guess it goes for me:

Kafka
Urban
Caldwell

after those three I don't really know. I don't want anyone promoted from the inside just to be another Doug yes-man

Mosher and Caplan both brought up a good point that Senior Bowl week is big for filling openings sometimes because a lot of coaches, even out of work ones, are down there.
So if we have positions opened still they might figure out their guy down there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Loyalty.

Double-edged sword with Doug,

the loyalty and care that is hurting us with holding onto players and coaches too long.
is probably the same thing that keeps them bought in and playing their best in December/January.

If they don't reset the deck every so often, it'll eventually get him fired.
But we'll see. If Howie at least learned the lesson thats a big movement to balancing it all out.

15 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Double-edged sword with Doug,

the loyalty and care that is hurting us with holding onto players and coaches too long.
is probably the same thing that keeps them bought in and playing their best in December/January.

If they don't reset the deck every so often, it'll eventually get him fired.
But we'll see. If Howie at least learned the lesson thats a big movement to balancing it all out.

Now if Howie could only learn how to draft...

Hearing that Urban is the front runner makes me interested somewhat... Is Doug thinking about giving up play-calling duties? Or is he trying to sell Urban on the "collaborative" approach? 

Urban has some positive stints 

WR coach in Cincy

QB coach (Vick's comeback years) 

QB coach with L. Jackson

I get it that these coaches stay usually within their immediate or even secondary circles. Why not an successful outside voice to push back against the same ideas? Reinventing the wheel will get Doug fired IYAM.