Rams hiring Brandon Staley as defensive coordinator

RamRod

From what I've observed of McVay, I agree with @jrry32 that Barry just doesn't strike me as someone he'd turn over the reins to as, at best, it would feel like a lateral move and that doesn't seem to be his style.  I'd keep an eye on guys off the staffs that were among the first to really thwart our offense (pre-OL chaos).  It would seem very like McVay to want to pick the brain of someone who saw (or worked under the guy who saw) holes in his own offensive scheme to collaborate on how to bolster the units on both sides of the ball.

Now I doubt we're fishing someone off of Belichick's staff, but that would leave, by my count, defensive coaches off of Fangio's, Schwartz's, possibly Vance Joseph's or Mike Pettine's staffs, and possibly someone off Martindale's or Pagano's staffs.  Some names I might throw out there: Jay Rodgers (on both Fangio's and Pagano's Chicago staffs and Wade's Denver staff, young, but has no playcalling experience; originally a Saban guy), Jerry Montgomery (young, been on Fangio's Packers staff for the past two seasons, has some prior play-calling experience, worked under Bob Stoops and Brady Hoke), Chris Hewitt (more of tie to Harbaugh - who actually coached Hewitt when he was a teenager - than a Martindale guy, but young, has positional coaching experience on both sides of the ball, staffed under Greg Schiano as well), Joe Cullen (not as young - 52 - but younger than Wade, has staffed to high success for a wide variety of defensive coaches: Lovie Smith, Jack Del Rio, Rob Chudzinski, and Rod Marinelli... and now Martindale).

Richard wouldn't surprise either - as I figure he's got to be a hot name.

• Like 2

Hope it’s not Barry. Dude has no proven track record. Don’t even know why this would even be considered unless McVay wants to become a dictator and run both sides. Which could be good if he knows what he’s doing 

but if he doesn’t and the Rams fail yet again, then that would make front office and fans question McVay. 

Hes still young and he has more to gain in experience. I think a seasoned D Coordinator will allow him to continue to improve the offense and his position as HC 

Edited by rocky_rams

Crazy to say that I know the guy. Know the family and went to school with their little brother. Sat in one of his defensive meetings at a Glazier Clinc a few years ago. The dude knows his stuff. He was a stud DC in Dlll 4 years ago and won best assistant coach in the nation that year. After that he got the job with the bears. He was a huge aspect of Mack learning the bears defense that first season. Only thing surprising about him getting a DC job was him doing it so quick.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Crazy to say that I know the guy. Know the family and went to school with their little brother. Sat in one of his defensive meetings at a Glazier Clinc a few years ago. The dude knows his stuff. He was a stud DC in Dlll 4 years ago and won best assistant coach in the nation that year. After that he got the job with the bears. He was a huge aspect of Mack learning the bears defense that first season. Only thing surprising about him getting a DC job was him doing it so quick.

We shall see if he's up to snuff, but I trust McVay to know coaching talent. And he's definitely not going to have an issue giving a less experienced guy a chance if that guy has the football IQ.

• Like 1