BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I had Thomas #1 with Wirfs and Wills real close.  Happy to get him at 14.

Makes sense to me.

I took him at 9.

I had him as possibly not the top DT, which there was a lot of debate about that between me and Pickle 

7 minutes ago, MD4L said:

There hasn’t been a high caliber left handed QB in the NFL since Michael Vick. Kellen Moore might have started a game or 3. And then? You’re going back to Mark Brunell and Steve Young.

How dare you disrespect Tim Tebow and the hefty lefty Jared Lorenzen 

Edited by bcb1213

DRAFT RECAP: ROUND 1

1:1 - The Anchorage Sasquatch Wolves of Sacramento selected QB Joe Burrow of LSU.
- Obviously they have secured their QB of the future here. Way to shake up the draft...NOT.
Seriously though, Sacramento had a lot of available capital and moved some of it around to acquire this pick. The one red flag with Burrow is that the 'hype' is based on a singular season of production albeit a really good season. Having said that, I get it, securing a franchise QB is important and now Sacramento can move on to securing a couple guys for that QB to throw to
Grade: A
(Talent = A , Position Need = A)

1:2 - ICBR -- DE Chase Young / Ohio State
I mean, the experts say this is the top defensive player in the draft and ICBR needs, well, a lot. Its wise to start by building the ability to stop offenses. ICBR has a lot of good pieces on defense already, this will help toward completing that front 7. This could lead to a very dominant BDL defense in the near future. A little side note though, EDGE wasnt remotely their biggest need. 
Grade: A- 
(Talent = A+ , Positional Need = B

1:3 - Antartica -- QB Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama 
This isnt a flashy pick, its predictable but logical. They needed a QB, they took the second best guy at the position in the draft. If he can hold up physically in the NFL he could develop into a prolific player. Having said all of that, with several QB options in free agency, I'm surprised they didnt select a guy here that wouldve had a more immediate impact, ESPECIALLY with Lamar Jackson already taking the stating role. Perhaps this was a move to keep another team from getting him? You dont pick a backup QB at #3 overall...you just dont 
Grade: D  (Talent = B,  Position Need = F)

1:4 - Antartica -- CB Jeff Okudah, Ohio State 
Another predictable pick but a solid one. In todays passing league you've gotta gave a great secondary. Okudah can give them that if he can improve upon is route reading and instincts. All the speed and size you want, but there are some mental areas he needs to improve. Talent wise this is an excellent pick, risk wise, it could turn into a nightmare 
(Talent = A , Positional Need = A)

1:5 - Seoul Dragons -- LB/S Isaiah Simmons, Clemson 
Simmons is an extremely intelligent, athletic player capable of moving around the defense into multiple spots. He has very good overall skills and with quality coaching has the ability to be one of the best ever in the NFL. I love this pick for Seoul.
Grade: A+
(Talent = A+, Positional Need = A+)

1:6 - Antartica -- WR Ceedee Lamb, Alabama
This is provides an excellent target for their eventual starting QB, Tua. It wouldve been interesting to see them select Jeudy and give Tua a target with immediate chemistry but they went for flash here. Having said all of that, Godwin, Diggs, Smith, Johnson already take up 4 spots at WR. Clearly they hope AB plays once again also... so picking a WR in the top 10 when you have 4 really good ones already .... especially considering they couldve used an OT, DT or Edge here (or IOL though its pretty high for that position) ... it lacks logic. If talent were all that mattered, this would get an A. But as far as fit..well it just doesnt, not in a WR class this deep. This could very well end up the worst pick of the first round. BPA or not, all the WRs in the world arent gonna help you protect the QB.
Grade: C- (Talent = A+ , Positional Need = F)

1:7 - Gotham Gashslayers -- WR Jerry Jeudy, Alabama 
This is just the second pick of the draft I can honestly say is excellent. WR is definitely a need for Gotham and Jeudy might actually be the best one in the class. Playing opposite Tyreek Hill with Wentz throwing the ball can only lead to good things. 

1:8 -- Sacramento Sasquatch -- WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama
WR is a need for SS, biggest? Idk but Ruggs is fast AND he can run routes, he is the one guy that makes me wonder if Jeudy is indeed the best WR into his class because Ruggs is right there with him. I could have seen Counselor going several ways here, I dont blame him a bit for this pick. 

1:9 - Berlin Blitzkreig -- DT Derrick Brown, Auburn
Quinten Williams and Derrick Brown...jesus... You could perhaps argue WR or OT here but this is a great fit and a great talent. I totally get it and I like it.. a lot.
(Talent = A+ , Positional Need = B-)

1:10 - Seoul Dragons -- OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia 
Possibly the best OT option in the draft. Seoul didnt have a bigger need than this, the fact they were able to still get him 5 picks later, that's just smart. Excellent pick!

1:11 - Sacramento Sasquatches -- CB, CJ Henderson, Florida
Solid choice here. CB is definitely high on the need list for SS and Henderson is athletic and skilled. I like this pick alot for Sacramento. It makes sense but also, in a division with a lot of WR talent, having a fast, shut down CB is very important.

1:12 - Sacramento Sasquatches -- OT Jedrick Wills, Alabama 
Alright so in terms of need, idk though OT fits the bill however, as far as talent it's a solid pick. My guess here is in the near future theres gonna be changes along this OL. But like other teams I gotta deduct a little for team need. Having said that, it's not exactly like SS needs a lot. Overall very good selection.
Grade: B+
(Talent = A+, Positional Need = C)

1:13 - Cuba Smugglers -- WR Justin Jefferson, LSU
Alright so I really like the player and I think he can be a good weapon for Cuba. But I dont see this as a need for them, ESPECIALLY in the top 13. I just dont understand the logic here to pick someone they couldve gotten 20 picks from now.
Grade: C-
(Talent = B+, Positional Need = D)

1:14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg-- OT Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
Solid pick, debatable whether or not it's actually a need, but there is absolutely no doubt that the talent exists with this guy. Likely a pick for the future with a couple of guys possibly not returning next season. I get that logic even if it isnt the route I necessarily wouldve taken.
Grade: B
(Talent = A+ , Positional Need C+)

1.15 Lancaster Werewolves -- DT Javon Kinlaw, South Carolina
An absolute monster, possible the best DL in the draft. Great fit for Lancaster, both in talent and need.

1.16 Cuba Smugglers -- OT Mekhi Becton, Louisville
I like it, major need for Cuba, honestly thought theyd do with this the Jefferson pick. This was, imo, the best available OT. Great selection at this point to me.

• Like 2

Just now, Jlash said:

I love WW getting that pick in ASAP. I appreciate that. 

I knew I was gonna take him.

My top 3 guys, in this order, were Javon Kinlaw, Xavier McKinney, and Tristan Wirfs.

Counselor can attest to the fact I was extremely torn on who to take if Kinlaw and McKinney both made it to me. Obviously I have a lot of needs but I cant pass up a guy that, imo, has a really high ceiling. 

39 minutes ago, The Orca said:

I'm not as enamored with him

I know this is random as **** but why is Jodelle Ferland your profile pic? 

12 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

How dare you disrespect Tim Tebow and the hefty lefty Jared Lorenzen 

Tim Tebow is a folk hero more than he was a QB.

Jared was a meme and he just ate it up until his untimely demise.