Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Again, those teams had some young talent, and also had to chop a few pieces in order to add. Seattle cast off Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin, Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin retiring within the last two years, but then got rookie deal contributions from the likes of Shaq Griffin, DK Metcalf, Chris Carson et all

Green Bay never spent money on outside free agents until recently, let players like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, and cutting Mike Daniels go. Yeah, they made a splash last off-season but have only really signed Christian Kirksey this offseason, and lost Bryan Bulaga. Rookie contract contributions from Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, and a host of interior offensive lineman. 

As far as Brees goes, they continually restructured him to the point where he still would have counted for $21.3M against the cap had he not even played this year. 

I'm not denying they've had to cut talent, but they've added pieces as well. Eagles 2 years ago were negative in cap space and somehow came away with Michael Bennett, last year they added Malik Jackson and Desean Jackson and this year had plenty of space to work with.  

I get that every team has to cut and add. I'm not denying that. My point isn't going out and spending like crazy. 

It's more frustrating seeing a lot of good value deals being passed up in areas that are position of need. I don't expect the Vikings to sign every free agent or make every trade but there feels like there have definitely been chances missed imo

Who in particular? Are they worth more to the team than a Michael Pierce is going to be counted on to be for this particular defense?

Would they have been willing to come here? Did we have the cap space available at the time they  agreed to terms?

I can certainly understand the frustration, but I’m betting the Vikings weren’t a wish list team for many players coming in to this offseason and knowing we would be among the teams least able to pay out. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Who in particular? Are they worth more to the team than a Michael Pierce is going to be counted on to be for this particular defense?

Would they have been willing to come here? Did we have the cap space available at the time they  agreed to terms?

I can certainly understand the frustration, but I’m betting the Vikings weren’t a wish list team for many players coming in to this offseason and knowing we would be among the teams least able to pay out. 

Those are great questions none of us have answers to. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. But the Dunbar move was absolutely something they could've done.

I'm not saying they are doing a bad job. The approach has been confusing at times which leads to the frustration. I'm not judging the off-season completely, I'd just like to see some moves made before the quality value free agents are all snatched up. 

It seems like this Harris situation is holding everything up.

Dunbar is certainly a good player, but there’s reasons he was available for a 5th... he’s never played 16 games in a season (only 18 combined the last two years) and needs a new deal after this year. Given the Vikings need players on the cheap, it likely wasn’t in the best interest of the team to make that kind of move with the retooling they’re doing. 

Personally, I’d rather make a move like that than overpaying free agent prices. That’s one area I’ve always thought the Vikings could do better in - avoiding the free agent overpay and identifying vets they could acquire on the cheap like teams like the Seahawks and Ravens do. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Lions in talks with Logan Ryan ... hopefully MIN made a call as well.

I hope so. Would have liked to have added Desir (who went for just $6 million) or Ryan. They play different spots but it would have been nice to have one useful veteran CB heading into the draft. And these are moves we can afford to make now. 

A read an idea that might make sense. Should the Vikings consider moving Udoh to LG and him being a big guard ala Osemele? Osemele played guard for Dennison and Udoh is almost identical in size. Draft an LT and cut Reff for cap space. I know Udoh is athletic and strong enough but think he's too tall.  

Edited by dc_vikingfan

15 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

A read an idea that might make sense. Should the Vikings consider moving Udoh to LG and him being a big guard ala Osemele? Osemele played guard for Dennison and Udoh is almost identical in size Draft an LT and cut Reff for cap space. I know Udoh is athletic and strong enough but think he's too tall.  

I’d have no objection. Creative solutions might be needed to address the OL. If Udoh is one of the best 5 and he looks comfortable inside, why not do it. Certainly gives the team flexibility on draft day. This team in its current state will no longer be able to rely on safe, veteran solutions so they may just have to throw a bunch of young players at the problem and see what best sticks.

The veteran route hasn’t worked over the years for the OL, nor have they really tried developing a young OL. How much money has been pumped into veteran acquisitions over the years, Reiff, Kline, Boone, Remmers versus drafting and developing, I am sure there are more.