Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

BOB is horrible. I mean not Norv Turner or Mike McCoy horrible for worst of all time but he very well may be the worst current NFL coach. You take a team with superstars like JJ Watt, Hopkins and Watson and consistently fail to even win a playoff game. It’s absurd. He has to have dirt on someone to have stayed employed as long as he has. 

• Like 1

i wouldn’t say the worst but going up 24-0 on the chiefs and blowing that only to get a 50 burger dropped on you while you manage one more score the rest of the game is bad. Texans are just regular season warriors and in any meaningful games don’t produce. Know all about that kind of team. 

On 1/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

The guys who didn't make the playoffs or totally collapsed. Matt Patricia, Zac Taylor, Dam Quinn has wasted an equally if not more talented roster, Dougg Marrone, Gase still has a job.

The roster the Bengals fielded this year was certainly not talented.

Overall Zac's season i'd grade at a solid D+.  I thought we'd see a more exciting offense, and probably the same D we saw in 2018.  The offense regressed, though AJ and Ross being out didn't help.  

I wouldn't say he did the worst job.  Bottom 5 or 10, sure.  I also think he's going to learn and get better next year.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, Elky said:

I've never seen a coach go for a fake punt when up 24-7, but then waste a timeout trying to punt when down 17 and his QB visibily chewed him out for it.

He's a stupid game manager. But overall is a good coach. Honestly, he rose past his level of competence, but has a solid enough roster to work with.

27 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He's a stupid game manager. But overall is a good coach. Honestly, he rose past his level of competence, but has a solid enough roster to work with.

I'm curious why you think he's a good coach, despite horrible game management that hasn't improved over the past six years. 

Just now, ET80 said:

I'm curious why you think he's a good coach, despite horrible game management that hasn't improved over the past six years. 

Because he's basically Marvin Lewis. He'll get them to the playoffs, and that's the sign of a good coach is to continually get his team to the playoffs. 5 playoff appearances in 6 years. 4 division titles in 6 years. He's a better regular season coach than Mike Smith was based on those stats. And his first 3 seasons he did it with Savage, Osweiler, Hoyer and Fitzmagic as his QBs. There's much worse than BoB out there. 

In the playoffs, though, he's horrid. 2-4 in the playoffs with some atrocious game planning and decision making. It's like all of the good he does in the regular season goes out the door and he just craps the bed in the playoffs. 

Im curious as to who would potentially be brought in if Houston ever did fire Bill O'Brien. As a Titans fan, I didn't think it could get worse than Mike Munchak, and was excited for Ken Whisenhunt. 23 games and a 3-20 record later... well, self explanatory. 

Texans might think BOB is holding them back, but the next coach could end up with losing records and a spiral into the depths of the Cleveland Browns or New York Jets. 

I'll frame my argument as such: people use the phrase "the sum of their parts" once in a while, such as "The Rockets are more than the sum of their parts because Mike D'Antoni and his system are geared to these guys particular skillset" (I don't know if that's a true statement, I don't really follow basketball).

The Texans are EXACTLY the sum of their parts. Nothing more, nothing less. If you give BoB a healthy JJ Watt, he'll field a top 5 defense. If you give BoB a healthy Jadevion Clowney, he'll field a top 10 defense. You give BoB a slightly declining Andre Johnson, Arian Foster and am emerging DeAndre Hopkins, he'll get guys like Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler to the playoffs. 

Given that sort of talent, combined with a decline from Tennessee, Jacksonville and Indianapolis in that timeframe, you'll see a perfect storm of circumstances that will lead to a few playoff berths. You'll see in that timeframe, the Texans will go 5-1 in division, with a 4-6 out of division record - so it's a correlation to beating up on inferior talent (which should be the case with a few game changing talents on both sides of the ball). 

After a while, a good coach needs to perform beyond the sum of its parts. Bill O'Brien hasn't done that, but his parts on their own will sum up to a solid season - so nobody really notices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Im curious as to who would potentially be brought in if Houston ever did fire Bill O'Brien. As a Titans fan, I didn't think it could get worse than Mike Munchak, and was excited for Ken Whisenhunt. 23 games and a 3-20 record later... well, self explanatory. 

Texans might think BOB is holding them back, but the next coach could end up with losing records and a spiral into the depths of the Cleveland Browns or New York Jets. 

I know this may sound a bit out there, but why not Jason Garrett? He has experience with a similar QB to Watson in Dak. He's able to build offensive lines with his draft picks. And he's pretty good at designing plays. I honestly wouldn't mind that if I were the Texans.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'll frame my argument as such: people use the phrase "the sum of their parts" once in a while, such as "The Rockets are more than the sum of their parts because Mike D'Antoni and his system are geared to these guys particular skillset" (I don't know if that's a true statement, I don't really follow basketball).

The Texans are EXACTLY the sum of their parts. Nothing more, nothing less. If you give BoB a healthy JJ Watt, he'll field a top 5 defense. If you give BoB a healthy Jadevion Clowney, he'll field a top 10 defense. You give BoB a slightly declining Andre Johnson, Arian Foster and DeAndre Hopkins, he'll get guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer to the playoffs. 

Given that sort of talent, combined with a decline from Tennessee, Jacksonville and Indianapolis in that timeframe, you'll see a perfect storm of circumstances that will lead to a few playoff berths. You'll see in that timeframe, the Texans will go 5-1 in division, with a 4-6 out of division record - so it's a correlation to beating up on inferior talent (which should be the case with a few game changing talents on both sides of the ball). 

After a while, a good coach needs to perform beyond the sum of its parts. Bill O'Brien hasn't done that, but his parts on their own will sum up to a solid season - so nobody really notices.

I get that. But that's still better than coaches who make their teams worse:

Adam Gase

Matt Patricia

Doug Marrone

These guys (outside of obvious choices Jay Gruden who has been fired) are the absolute worst of the worst.

14 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Because he's basically Marvin Lewis

I can buy this.

He'll get them to the playoffs, and that's the sign of a good coach is to continually get his team to the playoffs

I would argue that it's a benefit of circumstances. Titans going with Mariota for so long, Jags going with Bortles for so long, Andrew Luck and his health issues and retirement...

Those are circumstances that benefit BoB, and he took advantage of it. Can't really credit a guy for taking care of business that's handed to him.

It's like all of the good he does in the regular season goes out the door and he just craps the bed in the playoffs. 

As said above, it's feasting on less than stellar teams. Once you line him up against playoff calibur teams, he does exactly what you'd expect of him.

Just now, ET80 said:

I can buy this.

I would argue that it's a benefit of circumstances. Titans going with Mariota for so long, Jags going with Bortles for so long, Andrew Luck and his health issues and retirement...

Those are circumstances that benefit BoB, and he took advantage of it. Can't really credit a guy for taking care of business that's handed to him.

As said above, it's feasting on less than stellar teams. Once you line him up against playoff calibur teams, he does exactly what you'd expect of him.

I can totally credit a guy for taking care of the easy teams. As a Falcons fan, I've seen my share of atrocious head coaches. Trust me, there's way worse out there than BoB.

• Like 1