Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

'The offense was up 21-0' is hilarious.

A punt block return is not offense.

A 6 yard drive after a muffed punt is not exactly the 1999 Rams.

B O B is a moron who acts as an anchor for his team.

No one with a brain goes for it on a fake punt from their own 30 up 24-7.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

at least quinn been to a super bowl

Does it really count when "your" side of the ball is being dragged kicking and screaming (27th ranked defense in DVOA/26th in ppg)? Pretty much everyone in Atlanta thinks it was Kyle Shanahan that got them to the Super Bowl that year, not Quinn. It'd be like if BOB had for 1-2 years one of the all-time great offensive minds at OC, and Watson dragged BOB to the Super Bowl.

Winning your division twice at 9-7 and once at 10-6 just means your division sucks.

The Eagles won at 9-7 this year and they and the whole division were national jokes.

Winning your division at 11-5 and then getting embarrassed at home to the #2 team in your division (Colts) in the wildcard round is not much of an accomplishment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

'The offense was up 21-0' is hilarious.

A punt block return is not offense.

A 6 yard drive after a muffed punt is not exactly the 1999 Rams.

B O B is a moron who acts as an anchor for his team.

No one with a brain goes for it on a fake punt from their own 30 up 24-7.

Here's the thing - if you are willing to go for it with a fake punt up 24-7 on your own 30....maybe you want to go for it on 4th and a half-yard at KC's 10 when your run game is clearly winning.   

The fake punt call was baffling by itself - but when you combine NOT going for it on 4th and inches from the KC 10 when your run game is clearly winning, then the combo is just mind-blowing.

• Like 5

Its not like it takes an MVP and a great offense to blow the doors off a B O B team.

The 7-9 Broncos with the 28/28 ranked offense after they traded Sanders away were up 38-3 in Houston this year in Lock's 2nd career start.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

FWIW, BoB isn't the league's worst HC.   But, he's also nowhere close to a good HC, either.  I'd put him bottom 5-10 range.   And that's a problem on a team like HOU.   

A better Q would be "was that the worst coached game with a big lead"?   That would be an easy yes.

• Like 2

Looking through the list of head coaches, honestly Bill's probably right in the middle as far as coaches I would FOR SURE, at this time, put ahead of him. There's plenty of situations where I just don't know: I mean can we say for sure that, say, Kingsbury or Lynn are better? I dunno.

Texans should hire Pete Carmichael from the Saints. He’d do some good things with all those weapons and another MVP caliber QB to work with.

I don’t think he’s ready to be a HC, but maybe OC/Assistant HC to an up and coming defensive minded coach would be ideal. 

Saints get a fresh pair of eyes on their system and Pete goes to Houston with a bunch of dynamic weapons and over a decade of learning behind Payton and Brees. Yes, learning behind Brees.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

That offense was up 21-0

14-0. 7 came from ST on a blocked punt.

59 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Where was Jj Watt? Apply pressure pin your ears back and rush. I know you guys hate BOB, but at some point he has to stop being the scapegoat.. 21-0.. That’s a huge lead. 

I'm not saying the defense didn't do their job, but when you're playing Pat Mahomes, you're best bet is to get some offense going too.

This isn't a scapegoat situation, BoB snatched defeat from the jaws of victory today.

• Like 1

I'll be the contrarian- the fake punt wasn't a bad idea. If you think you have a play on that will work a high percent based on your scouting, and you (correctly) know the game is going to be high scoring with very few defensive stops against KC (which it proved to be), then you know a 24-7 lead is nowhere near safe in that spot. Possessing the ball becomes of the utmost importance in games like that. The Texans didn't execute well enough there, so it's easy to say it was a bad idea with hindsight, but the way the game played out proved that with KC's offense those are the kinds of risks the Texans had to take and succeed at if they wanted to win. If they'd punted it 40 yards instead, the ensuing 7 drives suggest the only difference on KC's next possession would have been a few extra plays to score a TD. If the Texans succeed there they not only prevent Mahomes from scoring in the only effective way (keeping him off the field) but have a chance to go down a build a more secure lead before KC starts their inexorable comeback.

Sorenson made a great individual play to stop the conversion- major props to him.

However not instantly going for it later 4th and short shows a serious BoB blindspot. No defending that.

• Like 2