Is Bill O'Brien the worst coach in the league?

Elky

3 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Doug Marrone, Matt Nagy, Matt Patricia, Zac Taylor, and Adam Gase all exist, among others, so no.

I'd take Nagy or Taylor over BoB. Nagy us weighed down by bad QB play and no real offensive tools to work with at any position on that side of the ball. Khalil Mack can only carry everyone so far.

Taylor is still an incomplete for me, as that Bengals team was a train wreck before the season started. No AJ Green, no Jonah Williams - that stings.

BoB has a pretty complete roster for the most part, but can't do anything with it. And today, he exhibited some absolutely horrible in game decision making, and the team flat out quit on him when he showed no counterpunch following the initial collapse. It was a ****show of a showing, and non-Texans fans got a glimpse of what we we've known for years. That's really the only silver lining here - nobody can defend BoB after this one. 

BoB is an incompetent coach. Full stop.

Up 21 on 4th and 1 deep in KC territory burns a TO only to end up kicking a FG

After a momentum shift up 24-7 calls an unsuccessful fake punt in his own territory that gets KC back into the game with a short field and a TD

Keeps playing zone with no pressure when what worked in the 1st quarter was man coverage with pressure and doesn't adjust for the rest of the game

Down 17, burns another TO (not that it mattered) because he never considered he was in 4 down territory prior

He is whats holding the Texans back, and the reason personally I was glad the Cowboys missed the Playoffs. Had they made it, our version of BOB probably would have got a contract extension and we'd be stuck every year having an OK record in a bad division and not having enough to get it done when it matters

• Like 1

Just now, Hukos said:

The real question is, BoB or DQ? I'd actually prefer BoB because I shudder to think what DQ would be like without a great offense carrying his defenses.

I honestly don't know enough about DQ to say either way. I know 28-3 and I know a few seasons' worth of underperforms by Atlanta, so I can buy this.

Jay Gruden scratched a healthy AP for week 1, because he was too old.

Wanted to start D. Guise, who was just recovering & rehabilitating his Knee from previous ACL surgery. Guise was injured in this game.

Gruden also wanted to start Keenum & not give 1st round pick D. Haskins any 1st team reps to be prepared to play.

O'brien is not the worst.

Just now, ET80 said:

I honestly don't know enough about DQ to say either way. I know 28-3 and I know a few seasons' worth of underperforms by Atlanta, so I can buy this.

the tl;dr without getting too ranty is that he's a "defensive genius" and his defenses are always horrible. He has a lot of long losing streaks (3 streaks of losing 5 games or more) while having some pretty good offenses bailing him out. He also had Matt LaFluer on staff as the QB coach during the Falcons 2016 season and said he was "unimpressive" when it came to considering him for the offensive coordinator position after Kyle left and now he's the Packers head coach. Instead, he thought Steve Sarkisian was more impressive than Matt LaFluer. Really makes you think that the whole legion of boom thing was Pete's doing, and not Dan's.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hukos said:

The real question is, BoB or DQ? I'd actually prefer BoB because I shudder to think what DQ would be like without a great offense carrying his defenses.

At least Atlanta fought hard for DQ down tge stretch. Houston quit against KC.

Just now, Elky said:

At least Atlanta fought hard for DQ down tge stretch. Houston quit against KC.

This is going to put me in "bad fan/not a real fan" territory but I kind of wish they hadn't. The 1-7 run was way more important than the 6-2 run. I just feel like as long as DQ is here they'll just keep spinning their wheels around 7-9 and never actually be good. 7-9 hell is a real thing and it's painful.

Just now, Hukos said:

This is going to put me in "bad fan/not a real fan" territory but I kind of wish they hadn't. The 1-7 run was way more important than the 6-2 run. I just feel like as long as DQ is here they'll just keep spinning their wheels around 7-9 and never actually be good. 7-9 hell is a real thing and it's painful.

It's far more tolerable going 7-9 when the team is trying than when they flat out quit on their coach.

2 hours ago, Elky said:

Who is worse?

Freddie Kitchens reminded me of him a little, overthinking too much, unnecessarily calling timeouts in crucial game moments, except BoB's great roster can succeed despite BoB being a dreadful coach, Freddie failed with a record setting Baker, Nick Chubb, Jarvis and OBJ.