2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Nick Chubb has been my favorite RB Prospect for the past three years, more so than Elliott or Fournette. I'm not a fan of taking a RB in the 1st, but would you guys consider him if he's there?

Barkley and Guice are the only guys I'd consider at 9/10. 

I noticed nobody is really talking about Harold Landry in here any more. He was being mentioned in the same Chubb conversation with some of you early on. 

He should blow up the combine and get his name back on the radar. Just curious why so many of you hyping him up had gone quiet. 

35 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I noticed nobody is really talking about Harold Landry in here any more. He was being mentioned in the same Chubb conversation with some of you early on. 

He should blow up the combine and get his name back on the radar. Just curious why so many of you hyping him up had gone quiet. 

I think with his injury he somewhat goes under the radar lately with the media...and obviously the media has a huge effect on these forum mocks, talks...

I think could be in play for us if PG, Gruden and Reggie thinks he is a great fit.

Funny thing is that NFL.COM has Bruce Irvin as his comparison... 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He had a rough year injury-wise, and when you was healthy he played limited snaps.

I think he'll have an okay combine. His 3-cone will be great, but I suspect he'll be around the high 4.6/low 4.7 range 40 wise and have an average vertical jump. He also isn't a great fit for Geunther's defense which tends to utilize bigger and longer ends.

My comp for him will probably end up being Bruce Irvin, who I think gets cut this offseason.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Landry is god awful against the run so I don’t think he’s worth the 9 or 10 pick.  Even regardless of what you think of him as a player, he doesn’t fit what Guenther traditionally wants in a 4-3 end.

Michael Gallup is my favorite wide receiver in this draft.love the way he plays the game.Nice strong hand I believe he's only 6'1 but just judge by YouTube videos and watch 4 games of his he also a red zone threat.Know how to create separation know how to go up and catch the ball.I'm no expert so can somebody tell me why he's not talk about in the first round.I want the raiders to go hard the first two rounds  to add some play makers on defense but if he's there when we pick in the 2nd round I'm making that pick I think he could be something special IMO

Still all in on Roquan Smith at 10. He's a playmaker. He's going to be a difference maker in whatever defense he plays in.

The notion you need to put a superior Dline in front of him is overthinking it. His play recognition, speed and quickness beat blocks. I've not seen LB in recent memory with his level of range and vision. He sees things before they happen and beats plays. He's truly a special player at any LB spot. 

I read a while back Q.Nelson commenting on how difficult he was to block. That you try to determine your angles to beat him and he's so fast you can't get to your spots.

Don't over think Roquan. He's on a tier above Edmunds who I love, but it's easy to fall in love with his size. Roquan has more IQ and separates himself.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Still all in on Roquan Smith at 10. He's a playmaker. He's going to be a difference maker in whatever defense he plays in.

The notion you need to put a superior Dline in front of him is overthinking it. His play recognition, speed and quickness beat blocks. I've not seen LB in recent memory with his level of range and vision. He sees things before they happen and beats plays. He's truly a special player at any LB spot. 

I read a while back Q.Nelson commenting on how difficult he was to block. That you try to determine your angles to beat him and he's so fast you can't get to your spots.

Don't over think Roquan. He's on a tier above Edmunds who I love, but it's easy to fall in love with his size. Roquan has more IQ and separates himself.

I'm not buying it. Roquan's camp has been pushing the PR lately because other backers are taking his shine some.

He is fast and played in a system that made it easy for him to hunt. If he is put in the position that Malcolm Smith was in a few yrs ago he'll get alot of tackles but I don't think it will move the needle much on this team without the another difference maker on the dline. And no, Smith can't play all the LB positions. I don't think  can't be an effective SLB in the league IMO. He played in a aggressive 3-4 defense with 3 other good to great senior LBs that were all bigger than he was. They along, with the great dline, ete up blockers and cleared traffic and allowed Smith to roam and hunt.

All that said I think Smith is rightly in the convo in our range but I don't put him on a tier above Edmunds or Ward or Vea after watching the games.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm not buying it. Roquan's camp has been pushing the PR lately because other backers are taking his shine some.

He is fast and played in a system that made it easy for him to hunt. If he is put in the position that Malcolm Smith was in a few yrs ago he'll get alot of tackles but I don't think it will move the needle much on this team without the another difference maker on the dline. And no, Smith can't play all the LB positions. I don't think  can't be an effective SLB in the league IMO. He played in a aggressive 3-4 defense with 3 other good to great senior LBs that were all bigger than he was. They along, with the great dline, ete up blockers and cleared traffic and allowed Smith to roam and hunt.

All that said I think Smith is rightly in the convo in our range but I don't put him on a tier above Edmunds or Ward or Vea after watching the games.

I put him ahead of Edmunds but on the same level as Ward and Vea. I really like Vea. 

if we don't take smith i don't want to hear people complaining we have no talent at lb. because I see a lot of people who dont want a LB. 

With that said.. I'd prefer a trade down and grab a LB or stud DT. grab extra 2nd or 3rd. then we can go LB/DT next round and grab our RB as well. then you go Cb. and defense gets nice burst of talent coupled with our first rounder and second last year

19 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Which is what good agents should do. And it's classic overthinking because of his size. Size doesn't matter as much in the NFL now at the LB position. With more spread concepts, you want speed, check. And IQ which Smith is a notch above other LBs in this class.

For his size, he hit hard and is a sure tackler (stat I saw said 10 missed all last season). Show me where his size hurts him? It's so lazy to put it on his supporting cast. His movement skills facing blocker in the hole and next level. His range sideline to sideline is elite. Teams would run plays away from him and he would still be disruptive. 

Shazier, Kendricks, David, Foster - all similar size coming out. 

You don't have to buy it, but you'll be sorry you didn't. He's going to be a star in the NFL.

16 hours ago, FloydFan said:

I put him ahead of Edmunds but on the same level as Ward and Vea. I really like Vea. 

I like Vea, but he doesn't bring a lot in pass rush department for a top 10 pick. Wouldn't hate the pick, but wouldn't love it at 10.  Ward, I love. Would have no qualms over drafting him.

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

if we don't take smith i don't want to hear people complaining we have no talent at lb. because I see a lot of people who dont want a LB. 

Been this way since Reggie got here. Lack of talent at LB has be appalling. How many RBs and TEs have made the Raiders look ridiculous in the last 5 years? It's embarrassing. Team hasn't been able to cover from the LB spot. Remember that Washington game where their RB just gutted them in the passing game and they never recovered? About time to get serious about getting some speed on defense in the front 7.

Archived