2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Which is what good agents should do. And it's classic overthinking because of his size. Size doesn't matter as much in the NFL now at the LB position. With more spread concepts, you want speed, check. And IQ which Smith is a notch above other LBs in this class.

For his size, he hit hard and is a sure tackler (stat I saw said 10 missed all last season). Show me where his size hurts him? It's so lazy to put it on his supporting cast. His movement skills facing blocker in the hole and next level. His range sideline to sideline is elite. Teams would run plays away from him and he would still be disruptive. 

Shazier, Kendricks, David, Foster - all similar size coming out. 

You don't have to buy it, but you'll be sorry you didn't. He's going to be a star in the NFL.

It's not lazy to attribute some of his success on the team around him. It's the truth. Yes, he is fast. Yes, he has good instincts and will be a good LB in the league. Since you can't read my actual posts but just have to stomp for your guy, I'll say it again. I think he is rightfully in the 9-10 range but he isn't a tier above Ward, Vea or Edmunds. They are on the same tier IMO.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Show me where his size hurts him?

Smith looks great when he's kept clean (which Georgia's defensive line did a great job of most of the time) but he doesn't engage blockers like an NFL linebacker should.

giphy.gif

Here, Smith gets moved off the ball by the pulling guard. Ideally, you'd like to see the linebacker anchor and not get pushed off the spot so easily.

giphy.gif

Even against tight ends Smith gives up a too much ground. You don't see him powerfully engage blockers when they come. Instead, he uses his quickness by giving up ground and then "juke shedding" the blocker. 

giphy.gif

Here, Smith needs to attack the blocker in front of him and pressure Hurst to make a cut before he wants to. Smith's technique of shedding blockers starts by him giving up ground. Even if he's just able to slow down the blocker, the pursuit gets to Hurst before the big gain.

giphy.gif

I particularly don't like this interaction with Calvin Ridley. Ridley is able to hold him at bay so the receiver ends up making a decent gain.

His approach to linebacker is a bit like playing safety. When he sees the alley, he attacks it and makes the types of splash plays he's known for. When there's someone in front of him, things get complicated.

He's ideal in a WLB role but even more ideal on a team with quality interior defensive lineman. I'm not sure the Raiders, with their question marks on the interior defensive line, would be the best spot for him.

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Smith looks great when he's kept clean (which Georgia's defensive line did a great job of most of the time) but he doesn't engage blockers like an NFL linebacker should.

giphy.gif

Here, Smith gets moved off the ball by the pulling guard. Ideally, you'd like to see the linebacker anchor and not get pushed off the spot so easily.

giphy.gif

Even against tight ends Smith gives up a too much ground. You don't see him powerfully engage blockers when they come. Instead, he uses his quickness by giving up ground and then "juke shedding" the blocker. 

giphy.gif

Here, Smith needs to attack the blocker in front of him and pressure Hurst to make a cut before he wants to. Smith's technique of shedding blockers starts by him giving up ground. Even if he's just able to slow down the blocker, the pursuit gets to Hurst before the big gain.

giphy.gif

I particularly don't like this interaction with Calvin Ridley. Ridley is able to hold him at bay so the receiver ends up making a decent gain.

His approach to linebacker is a bit like playing safety. When he sees the alley, he attacks it and makes the types of splash plays he's known for. When there's someone in front of him, things get complicated.

He's ideal in a WLB role but even more ideal on a team with quality interior defensive lineman. I'm not sure the Raiders, with their question marks on the interior defensive line, would be the best spot for him.

this same things happened in the okla playoff game he got ragg dolled by orland brown a few times. Not that

orlando sucks but i thought with rae's speed he could get around brown but the lack of length hurts smith. we ask our mlb to do alot and i cant see smith winning a matchup vs big te's like kelse

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

this same things happened in the okla playoff game he got ragg dolled by orland brown a few times. Not that

orlando sucks but i thought with rae's speed he could get around brown but the lack of length hurts smith. we ask our mlb to do alot and i cant see smith winning a matchup vs big te's like kelse

And ultimately every NFL linebacker has to engage blockers in the NFL -- there's no way around it. I think there's a fit in the top 15 -- like the 49ers or Dolphins -- where the presence of a dominant interior player opens things up for second level players, but the Raiders don't have anyone inside offensive coordinators have to gameplan for. Smith would have to deal with getting blocked on almost every rushing down.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I like Vea, but he doesn't bring a lot in pass rush department for a top 10 pick. Wouldn't hate the pick, but wouldn't love it at 10.  Ward, I love. Would have no qualms over drafting him.

I can see that with Vea. I don’t know though, he pops out as kind of a Ngata type of prospect to me. I do like Ward more and think you’re dead on right there. If him and Smith are both on the board I’d have a hard time taking Smith over him, but would not be upset if they did. Just think with how awful the secondary has been that Ward could be a better pick for us. I’d be happy with either one really. 

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

You can find these type plays on any LB. Fact is, he was dominate all season long including the national champ game. His impact was felt every game. He was never neutralized consistently.

He also has room to grow physically. He uses his athletic ability to beat blockers rather than engage them currently. But he will be coached and put on a little size at the next level as well. The exact same stuff was said about Ryan Shazier, Levonte David and Dieon Jones and all 2 are thriving and I'd argue that Smith has better instincts and football IQ than them coming out. 

14 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

We already have an undersized player in our d foundation in Karl Joseph... how many undersized guys do you guys want. I like Edmunds a lot more and he is just 20

Dumb logic. Size over actual instincts, football IQ and accolades. Also Smith is 20.

I'm fine if you prefer Edmunds, I like his game as well. But disqualifying a star player because of size is just lazy

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Love James. Scary part is, he's just scratching the surface of what he can be. Be tough to pass on him, but Raiders have invest 2 early picks on the S position recently. Though neither is the playmaker James is. 

Obi can probably be used as a CB possibly LB if need be for Nickle if need be

If we sign a LB and keep bowman and don't draft smith.. I think I want a DR. 

Still think smith is my top choice. have to watch more video of other guys.

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

My big board:

Barkley

Chubb

Smith

Guice 

Ward

James

Fitzpatrick

Vea

Edmunds 

Bryant 

Did you mean Taven Bryan? Interesting. He seems to be mocked all over the place. Don't know much about him. What do you like? Where would you see him lined up for us?

Archived