2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

First, Obi's tape wasn't as pedestrian you make out. Those were the knocks from his profile. Tape was better than that.

Next, Edmunds tape definitely shows more than a H/W/S prospect.

Disagree. Obi didn't jump off the screen the way I'd expect a H/W/S prospect to. I wanted to see more at the senior bowl was still underwhelmed. Then everyone fell in love at the combine. 

Edmunds early season games, he was pedestrian. Playing backwards on his heels, (maybe thinking to much) and not impacting the game. Later in the season, he looked like a top prospect playing down hill. 

Again... comparing to Smith. He jumped off the screen every week and looked every bit the award winning LB he was. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm a big advocate of moving back and acquiring more 2nd and 3rd round picks (I'm particularly fond of Buffalo's 2 seconds). These are some guys who I really like in round 2:

All for this given the depth in the class isn't strong. After day 2, the talent will drop off pretty dramatically.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm a big advocate of moving back and acquiring more 2nd and 3rd round picks (I'm particularly fond of Buffalo's 2 seconds). These are some guys who I really like in round 2:

Think we could trade down for one of there 1sts and both 2nds?

I agree though, I would like another 2 or 3 and wouldn't mind trading down.

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon and Jamarco, OT, Jones, Ohio State: I've made my opinions on Crosby known, but I also really like Ohio State's Jones as a competent long term starter in the NFL. Jones looks the part both in frame and technique. He's not an exceptional athlete at the position, and he may never transcend into an elite player, but he projects to have a long career based on plenty or strength and a solid deck of skills. In today's dearth of tackle, competence is almost all you can ask for.

Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama: I view Averett as one of the best values past the first round. He might not ever develop into a top 10 player at the position, but I believe he has starter traits from day 1 and can grow into a top 20 player at the position year after year. My pro comp for him is a player I'd also like to target in free agency: Bashaud Breeland.

Isaac Yiadom, CB, Boston College: It has honestly been a surprise for me that Yiadom hasn't received the post Senior Bowl hype he deserves. It seems the only think the All Star game did for his stock is put him on the map, but I believe he has first round traits. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a Byron Jones-style bump after what I anticipate will be a stellar combine.

Lorenzo Carter, Edge/LB, Georgia: Speaking of blowing up the combine, there's little doubt in my mind Lorenzo Carter will do exactly that. Search his name into Twitter and you'll likely find clips of him chasing down a receiver from 30 yards away or exploding off the line against Notre Dame. He never found a positional home at Georgia, but I think he'd be an ideal fit at either outside linebacker spots in Oakland. That said, he may very well go in the first round.

Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State: It wouldn't surprise me Lorenzo Carter follows the long line of hyper-athletic Ohio State linebackers sneak into the first round. I think his tape was "weak" enough to suppress his value, but I believe his true self is a Telvin Smith-like playmaker. People will often cite Roquan Smith as the premier sideline-to-sideline backer in this year's draft, but there's enough evidence to suggest Baker is right there with him in that regard.

I like Yiadom and Carter. Yiadom adds special teams value as well. Carter would be a good nickel pass rusher, seems very similar to  Bruce Irvin.

What’s your thoughts on other corners I like?

Isaiah Oliver

Jaire Alexander

Carlton Davis.

Jaire Alexander would be a strong candidate for our 2nd round pick for me. Dude is a baller. Roquan Smith and Jaire Alexander are probably my first 2 rounds, unless someone of obscene value drops to the 2nd (like somehow Guice, although that's pretty much impossible to fathom). I think if we're taking a running back, the 3rd-4th round is the sweet spot for us. There could be a guy like Bo Scarbrough or John Kelly/Mark Walton that drops farther than people think because this class is very deep. 

I'm warming up to the idea of looking at taking an O lineman with our first pick and preferably that would be Quinton Nelson.

I know our defense needs to be priority in this draft but we already have a lot of young guys on that side of the ball and throwing more youth to plug holes may not work as fast as we need.  If anything we need to find some quality vets and then find some nice depth on that side of the ball through the draft.

But my thinking with Nelson is he's considered probably the safest, cleanest and plug in & play at a high level prospects in this draft.  And we don't want to be Seattle and wait for Carr getting punished before we start to address the oline. 

Both Tackle spots are an issue and even though Nelson is a guard, he would actually let us kick Osemele to the outside (which is what they had in mind at some point when we signed him) and then swing Penn to right tackle...this would solve 2 huge needs with one pick and hopefully maintain the same level play in the interior.  Protecting our most important asset long term should be the priority before it truly becomes an issue and we're trying to play catch up.  And this hopefully bosters our run game which kills time and in turn, spares our defense from being overly exposed.

1 hour ago, Madleg81 said:

I'm warming up to the idea of looking at taking an O lineman with our first pick and preferably that would be Quinton Nelson.

I know our defense needs to be priority in this draft but we already have a lot of young guys on that side of the ball and throwing more youth to plug holes may not work as fast as we need.  If anything we need to find some quality vets and then find some nice depth on that side of the ball through the draft.

But my thinking with Nelson is he's considered probably the safest, cleanest and plug in & play at a high level prospects in this draft.  And we don't want to be Seattle and wait for Carr getting punished before we start to address the oline. 

Both Tackle spots are an issue and even though Nelson is a guard, he would actually let us kick Osemele to the outside (which is what they had in mind at some point when we signed him) and then swing Penn to right tackle...this would solve 2 huge needs with one pick and hopefully maintain the same level play in the interior.  Protecting our most important asset long term should be the priority before it truly becomes an issue and we're trying to play catch up.  And this hopefully bosters our run game which kills time and in turn, spares our defense from being overly exposed.

Harder to switch positions than you think. Puts an unproven rookie at G (no matter how safe he is) and a career LG at LT and a declining career LT and RT. 

Too many moving parts for my liking especially when it involves our top 10 pick. Love Nelson and the point is probably moot as he is most likely gone by our pick anyway. Agree OL should be addressed but don’t agree that this is the best way to go about it. 

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Harder to switch positions than you think. Puts an unproven rookie at G (no matter how safe he is) and a career LG at LT and a declining career LT and RT. 

Too many moving parts for my liking especially when it involves our top 10 pick. Love Nelson and the point is probably moot as he is most likely gone by our pick anyway. Agree OL should be addressed but don’t agree that this is the best way to go about it. 

I understand your point and I know the idea sounds easier in theory than actuality.  But they did over pay Osemele (at least over pay at the time) because he is versatile enough to move to Tackle and has made the switch previously with success.  Also, to me it's a better move than chasing 4th, 5th and 6th rd prospects hoping to groom them, which has what's been going on at our right tackle spot.  

It was just an idea that I wouldn't be opposed to only because I feel our defense is young as it is aside from Bowman and Nelson (and Nelson is as good as gone).  We need some quality vets to help out the young guys who are still growing or putting more youth on the defense without any verteran voices around can only worsen the issue.  

I love Smith, Edmunds, Darwin and a few others as an early target for us, but not sure if I want us to put so much on 1 player to plug 1 hole who may need some time to be an impact player. 

Plus finacially it could be in the teams best interest to put Osemele at LT and have a potential Pro Bowl caliber LT at bargain price...especially with Mack about to get paid.

provided we can bring back Bowman, I think Roquan is a slam dunk pick. It would allow him to start out as a WILL... let him react and let his athletic ability shine. During that time he can learn the ins and outs from watching Bowman and take over when he's mentally ready.

I've also seen some mocks where we trade back to a QB needy team like Buffalo and end up with Edmunds

Love Roquan as well....would be ecstatic with him or Edmunds.

If we could trade back and still end up with Emunds, then that would be a grand slam....I'm just worried that Edmunds is too on the map now for him to slip too far back.  We be awesome if it did play out that way.

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Disagree. Obi didn't jump off the screen the way I'd expect a H/W/S prospect to. I wanted to see more at the senior bowl was still underwhelmed. Then everyone fell in love at the combine. 

Edmunds early season games, he was pedestrian. Playing backwards on his heels, (maybe thinking to much) and not impacting the game. Later in the season, he looked like a top prospect playing down hill. 

Again... comparing to Smith. He jumped off the screen every week and looked every bit the award winning LB he was. 

Disagree. Obi tape showed alot of good things. He may not have jumped off the screen but that was in part because he was still learning the position. The tape was still impressive and it was why he was even in the range to be picked in the 2nd.

Smith and Edmunds both took time to get going tape wise last year. Smith best stretch of games started in NOV with a few games before being impressive(Tenn and ND). Edmunds started his impressive games in the middle of Oct with one good game previous to that vs Delaware.

I'm personally still hoping for Quenton Nelson to be there when we pick. Assuming he is, I'd drop him in at LG, and decide which of KO/Penn stays on the left or right side.  Think he'd do wonders for our interior running game, which is still suspect to me. If Gruden is serious about running a '98 offense and using a FB a lot more, I say run with the premise and get a dominant run-blocking guard in there, and that's what Nelson is. 

Pair that with drafting a day 2/3 RB, and I believe that will help our offense considerably. Leaned way too heavily on the pass game last year. 

4 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Disagree. Obi tape showed alot of good things. He may not have jumped off the screen but that was in part because he was still learning the position. The tape was still impressive and it was why he was even in the range to be picked in the 2nd.

4 years starter still "learning the position" okay. He's was JAG at UCONN and will be in the NFL. He was over drafted because of his H/W/S.

6 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Smith and Edmunds both took time to get going tape wise last year. Smith best stretch of games started in NOV with a few games before being impressive(Tenn and ND). Edmunds started his impressive games in the middle of Oct with one good game previous to that vs Delaware.

Smith flashed right out of the gate if you're not box score scouting. His game elevated to another level as the season went on. SEC champ game, through the playoffs he was playing like a top 5 draft pick. 

Archived