2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

I'm all for Derwin James at WLB. Why not. We all get the LB we have been clamoring for and a potential defensive leader. We need an active defensive leader badly, Mack is a passive type. Offense or corner in rounds 2,3,4 OT RB CB. Despite heavy defensive needs the offense has been neglected in the draft for a while. Too bad we don't have more early picks as a DE and DT are big fat needs too. 

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

I'm all for Derwin James at WLB. Why not. We all get the LB we have been clamoring for and a potential defensive leader. We need an active defensive leader badly, Mack is a passive type. Offense or corner in rounds 2,3,4 OT RB CB. Despite heavy defensive needs the offense has been neglected in the draft for a while. Too bad we don't have more early picks as a DE and DT are big fat needs too. 

I like James as a prospect but just playing devils advocate here. 

The why not is that he's 215 pounds and has never played a strict WLB role. To take a prospect at 10 overall, who''s undersized for that position and just pencil him in at a position he's never truly played before is wishful thinking. I can only imagine the uproar of us taking James at 10 and then watching him get washed out at LB play after play. 

IMO if we select James it has to be in a hybrid role that allows him to play to his strengths early while working on the nuances of the LB position, you want a top 10 pick to play early obviously and in James case that has to be in secondary IMO.

34 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

The why not is that he's 215 pounds and has never played a strict WLB role. To take a prospect at 10 overall, who''s undersized for that position and just pencil him in at a position he's never truly played before is wishful thinking. I can only imagine the uproar of us taking James at 10 and then watching him get washed out at LB play after play. 

IMO if we select James it has to be in a hybrid role that allows him to play to his strengths early while working on the nuances of the LB position, you want a top 10 pick to play early obviously and in James case that has to be in secondary IMO.

I am totally in agreement with you. But in thinking about it I have come to terms with something. Our defense is trash. It's more important at this point that we pick a star at any position than it is to fill a need spot. So if James is going to be played at safety, no problem here. I was just putting out the idea that we could play a fast small version of defense (with obvious flaws) and keep Joseph and Melifonwu on the field. It's a bad look to take a safety after a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder in two years. But it doesn't bother me, I'm not the GM who looks like garbage over it all. Better to have a fast small flawed defense that is getting better than to have the type of defense you want in terms of size and roles but have it be garbage.

I merely believe James is the star that could be had at our spot, and we need an agressive leader type on D as well. His position is an unfortunate thing, I wish he was a full on linebacker but he isn't. 

59 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Certain position changes are more predictable than others. Safeties have routinely successfully transitioned into a linebacker role, and Derwin James has played linebacker nearly as much as he's played safety at Florida State. Conversely, I don't think Minkah Fitzpatrick would make a good corner right away.

Agree with both of us posts above. James will make an impact and he’ll be a great player in this league. I was more just cautioning against the idea he would step in as a WLB day one. It’s defintely something i think he can do eventually. 

Im all for him being the pick of the board falls that way. Talent and speed is something you can never have enough of on either side of the ball. 

Bold predictions. Reg will draft a player whose name I will have to learn how to pronounce. Reg will NOT draft the person I want in round 1 or 2 or possibly 3. Reg will reach in round 2 or 3 (badly) 4. We will draft one player at some point that will have everyone wondering who is that and saying I'll be right back I'm  going to youtube.

9 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm starting to dig SMU receiver Courtland Sutton. I'm getting Allen Robinson and Michael Thomas vibes.

agreed.. I'd be happy with him in 2nd. especially if we trade back in first and have two, #2s. first round has to be Def or oline. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Bob Dobalina said:

Swapping out a slow old Jordy Nelson for Crabtree would be a clear downgrade at the position.We need to draft a Burner WR in Rounds 3-5

This is being overrated now. Crabs is two years younger but Nelson for the first several games was still productive.

Crabs has always been pretty slow too. 

it's closer to a wash than downgrade.

Archived