2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Looking at getting at WR in the mid rounds. Anyone got thoughts on the following WRs? 

Michael Gallup

Daeshawn Hamilton 

I like Gallup although his combine numbers didn’t blow anyone away he looks a polished receiver.

Hamilton is an excellent route runner but there are concerns over his timed speed.  

Gallup is a completely mundane receiver prospect to me. I don't think he's physically exceptional in any way and I don't see advanced receiving traits either. I think he'll be a 3rd-4th guy on most teams for most of his career.

I like Hamilton ahead of Gallup. Like you wrote, Hamilton is an exceptional route runner with high level ball skills to match. Main issue with him is he has seriously suspect hands. I think he has a better chance to become a 3rd receiver and a quality slot option for some team.

I don't particularly like either as a fit for Derek Carr. Of the guys in the 3rd-4th round, I'm high on Chark, J'Mon Moore, and Cedrick Wilson.

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Gallup is a completely mundane receiver prospect to me. I don't think he's physically exceptional in any way and I don't see advanced receiving traits either. I think he'll be a 3rd-4th guy on most teams for most of his career.

I like Hamilton ahead of Gallup. Like you wrote, Hamilton is an exceptional route runner with high level ball skills to match. Main issue with him is he has seriously suspect hands. I think he has a better chance to become a 3rd receiver and a quality slot option for some team.

I don't particularly like either as a fit for Derek Carr. Of the guys in the 3rd-4th round, I'm high on Chark, J'Mon Moore, and Cedrick Wilson.

You think we would take a shot on Calloway with the character concerns on day 3, or nah?

6 hours ago, BABPITT said:

I definitely see D-Line with our first pick cause they didn't do nothing to upgrade the line.I wanted to go Dirwin James but i think we have to go Vita or move back and get Landry.I really don't want Davenport or ward to me they are overrated imo specially davenport 

Yea man. I don’t think there’s any way we can go into next season without adding interior pass rush or maybe another DE.Id love James but D-Line is such a huge need 

I will love for the Raiders to grab Gallup but I believe our first 3 picks gonna be addressing the defense.I read a lot on him some specks very highly of him but say 3rd to 4 round.I'm no guru but far as what I see with my eyes and his production he's gonna shine in the Nfl.If he's there in the 3rd round depending who's there I'm jumping on him.The guy damn near check every box besides a big name school

Been watching Payne Vs Vea: 

I've come to see that IMO Payne has quicker hands in trenches, is faster and quicker off the ball. Payne to me is a better pick and will probably offer more of a pass rush presence in the future. Better athlete 

Vea seems to have some good power but kind of sluggish. He doesn't get off blockers with as much ease as Payne. Even when you watch Veas highlights i don't come away impressed. a lot of one on one coverage sacks or non penetrating plays. Needs to lower pad level consistently.

My two cents.

59 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Been watching Payne Vs Vea: 

I've come to see that IMO Payne has quicker hands in trenches, is faster and quicker off the ball. Payne to me is a better pick and will probably offer more of a pass rush presence in the future. Better athlete 

Vea seems to have some good power but kind of sluggish. He doesn't get off blockers with as much ease as Payne. Even when you watch Veas highlights i don't come away impressed. a lot of one on one coverage sacks or non penetrating plays. Needs to lower pad level consistently.

My two cents.

Vea and Payne are different players, but I'd argue Vea is better at what he does does than Payne is at what he does. Payne projects as a 3 technique in the NFL. Like you wrote, he uses his hands well and has good foot quickness to been less free-a-foot guards through the pocket. The problem with him is he doesn't get great push in the run game and he doesn't flatten out well to the ball carrier. Payne was a pressure machine in college but you notice he didn't get home a whole lot with only 3 sacks and 4 tackles for loss in his entire Alabama career.

Vea projects as a nose tackle in the NFL (@NightTrainLane, yes, I know he played mostly 3 technique in college) but he's straight up a force of nature. Down blocks don't work on him. He absorbs double teams and regularly reestablishes the line of scrimmage. He's also good enough as a pass rusher that you can leave him in on a base nickel look and not give up much against the run. As an interior defender, he's in the same class as Damon Harrison, Brandon Williams, or Linval Joseph. Take either of those two guys out of their respective defenses and things begin to fall apart.

Honestly, I don't think Payne will go in the first round like many do. I don't think he offers enough upside as a pass rusher and is somewhat of a liability in the run game. He'll be good value in the 2nd, but he's not going to be a guy other teams gameplan around like Vea will be.

47 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Vea and Payne are different players, but I'd argue Vea is better at what he does does than Payne is at what he does. Payne projects as a 3 technique in the NFL. Like you wrote, he uses his hands well and has good foot quickness to been less free-a-foot guards through the pocket. The problem with him is he doesn't get great push in the run game and he doesn't flatten out well to the ball carrier. Payne was a pressure machine in college but you notice he didn't get home a whole lot with only 3 sacks and 4 tackles for loss in his entire Alabama career.

Vea projects as a nose tackle in the NFL (@NightTrainLane, yes, I know he played mostly 3 technique in college) but he's straight up a force of nature. Down blocks don't work on him. He absorbs double teams and regularly reestablishes the line of scrimmage. He's also good enough as a pass rusher that you can leave him in on a base nickel look and not give up much against the run. As an interior defender, he's in the same class as Damon Harrison, Brandon Williams, or Linval Joseph. Take either of those two guys out of their respective defenses and things begin to fall apart.

Honestly, I don't think Payne will go in the first round like many do. I don't think he offers enough upside as a pass rusher and is somewhat of a liability in the run game. He'll be good value in the 2nd, but he's not going to be a guy other teams gameplan around like Vea will be.

If we took Vea he'd play next to Jelly as a 3T which is truly scary for teams because they wouldn't be able to double team Mack Jelly and Vea without our other defenders eating like it's the Nathan's hotdog contest.

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

McGlinchey please

Would not shock me given Gruden's comments on the RT spot and Newhouse being cut. 

That said, he's not a top 10 player in this class. I'd like it more with a trade down. LB or Dline is the biggest area of need right now IMO. 

Raiders have really been scouting tackles in the later rounds. I think they will look there 

14 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

He won't for that reason. If he falls, he'd have to get past the niners who have an even greater need for lead back than us.

This is why I hate the Doug Martin signing.  This is deep RB class but I get the impression we won't be looking at any of these prospects because of the vets we have already signed....which is stupid because I can see all 4 of our backs being gone after this season.  Not 1 of them is a long term prospect that can grow with Carr and this Oline.

19 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

He won't for that reason. If he falls, he'd have to get past the niners who have an even greater need for lead back than us.

1) Reports are Niners like Guice better than Barkey for their offense. 2) They just paid Mckinnon top 5 RB money. 3) They have a needs on defense and Oline

I saw a report that teams in the top 7 are not high on Barkley given position and depth of this RB class. 

Archived