2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Agreed.

We have far bigger needs and Smith isn't the guy I see impacting the defense majorly. That is what I want from the 10th pick.

Agree to disagree. I think Smith will be a legit playmaker immediately. There is no bigger need IMO than LB. Raiders have ZERO talent at that level. Good defenses have talent on each level. Right now it's just a bunch of guys with different skill sets as it's been for years.

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree to disagree. I think Smith will be a legit playmaker immediately. There is no bigger need IMO than LB. Raiders have ZERO talent at that level. Good defenses have talent on each level. Right now it's just a bunch of guys with different skill sets as it's been for years.

You could say the same thing for our dline except for Mack and maybe Irvin. I’m honestly at the point where I’m good with whomever we draft as long as it’s not a reach. I do think we should beef up the trenches to help Mack, but if we end up with Ward, Smith, or Edmunds, I’m fine with that too.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

In Guenter's system, Smith would be best as an off-ball LB. But I believe he can thrive inside as well. Too much is made of him taking on blocks. It didn't hurt him in the SEC. His instincts and IQ help him win. And he will get stronger at the POA in the pros. People are sleeping on him hard. He's going to be a stud LB if not drafted by the Raiders, Raider fans will look back on as a big missed opportunity. Confident in that.

All 3 base linebacker positions are mostly "off-ball" in a 4-3 over. Sometimes the strongside backer lines up on a tight end, but for the most part all linebackers in Guenther's scheme will be off-ball players.

Not enough is made of taking on blocks. College blocking schemes pale in comparison ink both scheme diversity and talent when compared to the NFL. NFL offensive linemen routinely advance to the second level - especially with the proliferation of zone blocking schemes. Smith will not be able to juke and backpedal from blocks like he does in college, and his defensive line likely won't win with the same frequency. Do I think he will be a good player in the NFL? Yes. Do I think he's a slam dunk? No. He's instinctive, fast, has great stopping power, but when he falls short of par in what I consider being one of the most important aspects of playing linebacker in the NFL.

And, no, Smith is not being slept on. He's routinely listed in the top 10 of many draft analyst's boards.

One last thing:

And he will get stronger at the POA in the pros.

You hope he will get stronger at the POA in the pros.

50 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yup agree to disagree. What we really need is a MLB and if this defense is really gonna move to more 4-3 than i don't see Smith being a good fit for us or the best value there. Smith is a WLB. It's what he played in college and in a 3-4 defense no less. Can he play MLB? Sure. But it's not where he would be best utilized IMO. James and Morrow are young guys that have talent and upside and I think if they are given the chance they can excel. I know you count them as JAGs but I see the talent in them. Yes, Smith would be better but I think Ward or Fitzpatrick in the secondary or Vea or Hurst in the opponents back field or Edmunds or even Evans as MLB will help us more. Not to mention guys like Barkley and Chubb.

54 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I read the other day R.Smith had a medical red flag at the combine. I can't find anything more about it now so I assume it was false. Does anyone know anything more?

His hammy "tighen up" and he bowed out of the rest of the workouts after the 40.

7 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

He got cleared by his college I think. They had cleared him when he years ago. It was the Combine doctors that flagged him. I wonder how teams view it...

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Michigan’s potential first-round pick Mo Hurst has met with cardiologists at University of Michigan and Harvard, and they have cleared him to resume playing football, per league source. Hurst will do a full workout at Michigan's pro day on Friday.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:
Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Michigan’s potential first-round pick Mo Hurst has met with cardiologists at University of Michigan and Harvard, and they have cleared him to resume playing football, per league source. Hurst will do a full workout at Michigan's pro day on Friday.

Why did you make the font so big?

This doesn't answer how teams will view it...

Archived