2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

8 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I just copied and paste that's how it came out. lol, I wasn't trying to make point or anything.

Haha, I was like damn why is he yelling.

For next time you can copy the tweet link and paste that and it will come out normal size.

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree to disagree. I think Smith will be a legit playmaker immediately. There is no bigger need IMO than LB. Raiders have ZERO talent at that level. Good defenses have talent on each level. Right now it's just a bunch of guys with different skill sets as it's been for years.

I'm more with you than these other guys. 
If we're looking at the guy who can have the largest day 1 impact who will almost be guaranteed to be available, that guy is Roquan Smith to me. No guarantee Minkah, or Ward are there. Derwin, Vea, and Hurst are all tempting, but I think ultimately if we want IMPACT on day 1, that's Roquan Smith. The guy has absolutely everything you can want pedigree wise from a linebacker. Played in the SEC, excelled in the big games, was a leader on that defense, ran very fast at the combine at 236 pounds (much bigger than a Deion Jones).

If you can get Thomas Davis at 10 at 21 years old, you take him.

If we want to go another direction, I'll understand, but Roquan Smith deserves to be a top 15 pick in this draft for a reason.

I saw this and this got me thinking as well:

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm more with you than these other guys. 
If we're looking at the guy who can have the largest day 1 impact who will almost be guaranteed to be available, that guy is Roquan Smith to me. No guarantee Minkah, or Ward are there. Derwin, Vea, and Hurst are all tempting, but I think ultimately if we want IMPACT on day 1, that's Roquan Smith. The guy has absolutely everything you can want pedigree wise from a linebacker. Played in the SEC, excelled in the big games, was a leader on that defense, ran very fast at the combine at 236 pounds (much bigger than a Deion Jones).

If you can get Thomas Davis at 10 at 21 years old, you take him.

If we want to go another direction, I'll understand, but Roquan Smith deserves to be a top 15 pick in this draft for a reason.

So you're advocating for Smith because you're not sure Ward or Fitz will be there...

What if they are? 

What if 4 qbs, chubb, barkley, nelson, Vea and Edmunds are the top 9 taken in whatever order?

Who do you ( @MrOaktown_56 ) take?

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

So you're advocating for Smith because you're not sure Ward or Fitz will be there...

What if they are? 

What if 4 qbs, chubb, barkley, nelson, Vea and Edmunds are the top 9 taken in whatever order?

Who do you ( @MrOaktown_56 ) take?

Fitzpatrick IMO is the best pick if he's available simply because he has the talent and versatility to fill any role in the secondary from day 1. He will fit well with Ansley as well. I'm not 100% sold on Ward, but I like him as a prospect and I think that the FO will consider him. I'd prefer Smith to ward. I consider Roquan a safer pick and more of a sure thing because I see him as an immediate impact player with unbelievable instincts.

52 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fitzpatrick IMO is the best pick if he's available simply because he has the talent and versatility to fill any role in the secondary from day 1. He will fit well with Ansley as well. I'm not 100% sold on Ward, but I like him as a prospect and I think that the FO will consider him. I'd prefer Smith to ward. I consider Roquan a safer pick and more of a sure thing because I see him as an immediate impact player with unbelievable instincts.

That is my feeling as well. All 3 guys will be great players but Fitz to me is the one that has the most value + talent.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I thought about that the other day, Fitz for sure.  Would even consider trading Joseph after that since I think Fitz's best spot is a Honey Badger FS

Nah, make Minkah Malcolm Jenkins early in his career. Play him in the slot and use him as a blitzer/run defender. Joseph can play at free safety. We haven't seen him there, but he can really really play.

On 13/01/2018 at 2:10 PM, NightTrainLane said:

There are alot of guys that interest me this year as always but a few that I like or wanna get more info.

Top guy at the moment peaking my interest is Hercules Matafaa -  he is a bit of an enigma. At 6'2-6'3 250 he was playing all of the place. On the dline, with his hand on the ground alot of times but also standing on the edge or over the A gap. And producing. And not just holding his own but dominating. He had 22.5 tackles for a loss last year. Just huge #s. Now moving to the NFL it seems unlikely he will be able to stay in the exact role of DT haha. But if we do in fact move to the 4 down linemen and use 2 backers in most sets to apply pressure to the double A gaps, he could be the perfect player for that roll. I don't know what the future  holds for him but he has too many skills for a smart DC not to grab him and cause havoc.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2017/11/16/hercules-mataafa-washington-state-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

I've just been catching up on this guy and he's just a great football player. I'm not sure where you'd play him as he's way too small for inside but doesn't really have the bend or length on the edge. I think that'll be a question for every team though and may cause him to drop into the later rounds. I'd grab him instantly as a work in progress if he makes it to the 5th or 6th round and play him as a base 4-3 DE. His motor is non stop and he's the type of high effort player you need as depth at least. Absolutely love this guy.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I've just been catching up on this guy and he's just a great football player. I'm not sure where you'd play him as he's way too small for inside but doesn't really have the bend or length on the edge. I think that'll be a question for every team though and may cause him to drop into the later rounds. I'd grab him instantly as a work in progress if he makes it to the 5th or 6th round and play him as a base 4-3 DE. His motor is non stop and he's the type of high effort player you need as depth at least. Absolutely love this guy.

Yup, if we can get him with a 6th and get him in the building then figure it out, I'm fine with that. Even if he starts as a ST guy and we work him into the some NASCAR formation on absolute passing downs, his production, penetration and motor, like you said, are out of control.

A good break down on Roquan Smith. I like the dude in all but I already had alot of question marks about him before I even saw this video.Dont get me wrong I think he' gonna be a good player but I will draft elsewhere if we planning on him to be a MLB . So my Raider family what do you think of this video do you think he can hold his own playing the middle 

I think that the Raiders are going after one of the DTs. CIN had a lot of success when Geno Atkins was playing a dominate role. Getting a Geno Level guy on the same line as Mack will cover a lot of problems. Reggie has never taken a LB before the 3rd round with the exception of Mack so I can't see either Edmonds or Smith especially with Guether there to run things. There's a log jam at safety right now with the 2 guys being high draft picks, of course this is a new regime so anything can happen. I do think and CB and T are dark horses considering the need for a guy but if Conely is healthy the Raiders would really need a nickelback, you could find one of those in a later round. The Tackle though...I think they know the writing is on the wall for Penn and I think we could see a high pick for a guy early especially with a trade back.

Also I don't think that the Raiders won't shy away from guys with checkered pasts considering they tried to trade for Burfict and tried to sign Suh. They want guys who can play at this point no matter what they've done. I don't think that really matter as it pertains to the Draft due to the most controversial figure being a QB who probably won't be too high on the draft board.

I agree safety probably isn't in play. Then again if James or Fitzpatrick is the choice then I wouldn't complain. I think we're set at S with KJ/Obi/Gil/Shalom/Harris

I doubt we go Tackle in round 1. Rumor was we were talking to many OTs at the combine. So I get the vibe we take one when value and our board intersect rather than early. Considering the top OT talent vs other top talent where we pick. Barring a trade down obviously.

Also that Burfict thing got refuted

3 hours ago, BABYLON 5 said:

A good break down on Roquan Smith. I like the dude in all but I already had alot of question marks about him before I even saw this video.Dont get me wrong I think he' gonna be a good player but I will draft elsewhere if we planning on him to be a MLB . So my Raider family what do you think of this video do you think he can hold his own playing the middle 

Maybe I should start a YouTube channel. This has been my take on Roquan since "day 1".

Archived