2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

what was Reggie thinking 2016 draft... Joseph a very undersized safety coming off a major injury, Ward, and Calhoun... that draft still haunts this team...

Hindsight game time the only one where studs went right after was Ward. Henry 1 pick and Michael Thomas 2 picks respectively. Joseph still has theoretical promise atleast.

6 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Hindsight game time the only one where studs went right after was Ward. Henry 1 pick and Michael Thomas 2 picks respectively. Joseph still has theoretical promise atleast.

true, hopefully KoJo pans out. atleast he has shown some potential.. I remember being at a draft party and I don't think anyone saw Karl Joseph as the pick beforehand. 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

what was Reggie thinking 2016 draft... Joseph a very undersized safety coming off a major injury, Ward, and Calhoun... that draft still haunts this team...

He was thinking the same thing when he took Hayden....a guy who almost died on the field!

The crazy thing about the 2016 draft is that was coming off the heels of 2 pretty solid drafts prior and was getting praise from the media about him becoming a draft guru.

Ward was a god awful pick, though our DL coach was definitely mediocre at best. Draft and develop only works if you have a real staff. Guenther and Tgrovac are as good as it gets.

With Whitehead probably playing outside, this narrows down our options at LB because I don't think Roquan will be a good 4-3 ILB unless he gets better at taking on blocks.

I think as of today, Vita Vea or Maurice Hurst is the pick. I want Derwin James at 10 because of his versatility and raw talent, but assuming we're serious about GIlchrist starting, and he's not a bad starter, I think it's a good pick to get a strong, potentially dominant DT early. We need it, no question about it.

Edit: if we find a way/guenther's scheme allows Roquan to not get caught in the trash, I think we have to take him. He reminds me of Thomas Davis and is identical in terms of HWS. Obviously, Mack is team MVP, but Roquan could change the defense. He's the kind of player who can be the heart and soul of your defense.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think Roquan will be a good 4-3 ILB unless he gets better at taking on blocks.

Lazy narrative. You don't have to take on blocks when you can beat them in space. IMO, Smith would have a huge immediate impact in the Raiders defense. Whitehead is a complete liability in coverage, so I hope he's not starting. Draft Smith and start him outside where he will excel in coverage. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Lazy narrative. You don't have to take on blocks when you can beat them in space. IMO, Smith would have a huge immediate impact in the Raiders defense. Whitehead is a complete liability in coverage, so I hope he's not starting. Draft Smith and start him outside where he will excel in coverage. 

I'm not disagreeing that he can beat blocks with quickness. But it isn't the strength of his game. And he isn't a 250 pound hammer in the middle who can take on big blockers and fulllbacks 1 on 1. LIke I said, I see Thomas Davis. Which is pretty damn good if you can get a 21 year old Thomas Davis for your defense. Also, we paid Whitehead to start and guaranteed him some big money.

Smith did add some bulk going into combine which was nice to see. Edmunds could be a stud and has size and speed to go with his potential. Smith is the "safer" bet though. I'd love a small trade down and still get smith or Edmunds though, or a top talented cb.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Smith won't be able to do it with the same frequency and effectiveness he did in college. Every NFL linebacker, no matter how quick or fast they are, has to negotiate with blockers head on in the NFL. In fact, I remember making nearly the identical points to those who wanted the Raiders to draft Darron Lee. Smith is better than Lee was, but he have to adjust his game if he wants to be successful in the NFL. 

And Whitehead is starting for the Raiders; no question about that.

I just feel this draft pick is going come down to Ward CB or Edmunds OLB/MLB both  electric athletes who will be cornerstones

with that said draft could go 

R1 Edmunds R2 Isiah Oliver/Mike Hughes CB R3 Desmond Harrison OT and a possible trade up for another day 2 pick for a playmaker at RB or W

or

R1 Ward R2 Justin Jones R3 Jerome Baker  trade up for another day 2 for OT RB or WR

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm not disagreeing that he can beat blocks with quickness. But it isn't the strength of his game. And he isn't a 250 pound hammer in the middle who can take on big blockers and fulllbacks 1 on 1. LIke I said, I see Thomas Davis. Which is pretty damn good if you can get a 21 year old Thomas Davis for your defense. Also, we paid Whitehead to start and guaranteed him some big money.

Modern NFL doesn't need a 250 lb. hammer. They need to be fluid, sideline to sideline guys who can cover. In this division against KC's spread concepts you want coverage. 

I like the TD comparison. Whitehead shouldn't be starting. Teams pick on him in the passing game to easily. 

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Smith won't be able to do it with the same frequency and effectiveness he did in college. Every NFL linebacker, no matter how quick or fast they are, has to negotiate with blockers head on in the NFL. In fact, I remember making nearly the identical points to those who wanted the Raiders to draft Darron Lee. Smith is better than Lee was, but he have to adjust his game if he wants to be successful in the NFL. 

And Whitehead is starting for the Raiders; no question about that.

In Guenter's system, Smith would be best as an off-ball LB. But I believe he can thrive inside as well. Too much is made of him taking on blocks. It didn't hurt him in the SEC. His instincts and IQ help him win. And he will get stronger at the POA in the pros. People are sleeping on him hard. He's going to be a stud LB if not drafted by the Raiders, Raider fans will look back on as a big missed opportunity. Confident in that.

Archived