Kyle Smith Promoted to VP of Player Personnel

HTTRDynasty

23 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I agree with most of your post but I do think J Allen and D Payne are better than decent. I believe in 1-2 years in Del Rio’s system they will have shown more improvement. 

I think he’s underselling the talent of Jon Allen. He’s had 14 sacks the last two years as a 3-4 DE, yeah that’s not JJ Watt elite but that’s better than a decent starter. Both he and Payne are good starters in my eyes.

Moreau is more than a “fringe roster played” he looks like a career #3 or 4 corner but he could still develop into a starred. Depending on if we cut Norman, what we do in free agency and the draft, Moreau could be the starter opposite Dunny week 1.

I think we’ve had some good, but not great drafts the last 3 drafts. We’ve been picking in the mid to late teens of the first Round usually that’s where you find good starters but not elite starters. 

Ryan Anderson was overdrafted by a round, maybe two but he will very likely be a back up SLB in our 3-4 and depending on who we sign, how the other LBs look in the 4-3 and how hard he works this offseason to be on the team and to try to start there’s an outside chance he’s a starter actually. Not ideal, but possible.

The jury is out on Trey Quinn. He’s likely a #4 or 5 WR in the league which is actually a good find for Mr. irrelevant.

You have to include guys like Steven Sims on this draft list too bc they were UDFAs. So, that’s a home run!

Finding a starting center in round 6 is an amazing selection!

Cant help the injuries to Stroman and Holsey which have derailed promising flashes.

If people are expecting every pick to hit and make the team let alone be a starter then they’ll going to be disappointed.

Edited by turtle28

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its entirely possible the crappy coaching staff has held these guys back, especially on defense.  I'm just saying for those that are touting this promotion as a big win, lets pump the brakes a bit.

I think you're looking at things in a bit of a vacuum.

Who else should we have drafted over Jonathan Allen in 2017?  These were the next 5 picks:

1. Adoree Jackson

2. O.J. Howard

3. Garett Bolles

4. Jarrad Davis

5. Charles Harris

All those guys look like busts so far tbh.  I remember people wanting Charles Harris, Malik McDowell, or Reuben Foster at that spot.  We're lucky Smith chose the player he did.

Here were the 5 guys selected after Ryan Anderson:

1. Justin Evans

2. DeMarcus Walker

3. DeShone Kizer

4. Teez Tabor

5. Raekwon McMillan

Anderson has been better than all those guys IMO.

I mean sure, he's had some misses, but what GM hasn't?  McCloughan has said that any time you can get two starters out of a draft class, it's a very solid class.  We've averaged at least two starters over the last three drafts, and are currently projected to have 4 from the 2019 class.

It's very tough to hit on home runs when you're drafting in the teens every year.  Hitting on guys in the mid and late rounds is much more due to luck than skill - or else those teams would have drafted the "steals" they found much earlier.

The bottom line is Smith has done better than the majority of the league.  And our team is budding with young talent because of it.  I'm all for keeping him around as long as he keeps producing.

• Like 3

I like it a lot!!! I think this guy is gonna do great things for this team. I know there’s a chance it could not work out there’s always those chances but I really think this guy knows how to find players for the staff and I hope he works well and we can build a consistent winner through the draft and just a small touch of FA every now and again. Keep a young talented roster that comes from the draft. I think we made the right move here

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

2017 DRAFT 

(1) Jon Allen - decent starter

(2) Ryan Anderson - likely career backup

(3) Fabian Moreau - looks like a fringe roster player

(4) Samaje Perine - fringe roster player

(4) Montae Nicholson - legal troubles, questionable performance on the field, everyone wants him replaced

(5) Jeremy Sprinkle - probably best as a #2 or #3 TE

(6) Chase Roullier - average starter

(6) Robert Davis - not on the roster

(7) Josh Harvey Clemons - career backup

(7) Josh Holsey - not on the roster

2018 DRAFT

(1) Daron Payne - decent starter

(2) Derrius Guice - has barely played

(3) Geron Christian - we signed a 38 year old FA to start instead of this guy.

(4) Troy Apke - hasn't played much, up and down when he's been on the field.

(5) Tim Settle - good backup who could probably start

(6) Shaun Dion Hamilton - solid backup

(7) Greg Stroman - edit - career backup

(7) Trey Quinn - not sure why he's on the roster

2018 SUP DRAFT

(6) Adonis Alexander - no longer on the team

Its too soon on the 2019 draft, but that is a lot of backups and not a lot of star power.  

That is a pretty glass half full view of things.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

EM7PaNCWoAYXw9y?format=jpg&name=medium

I think this is the clear reflection of bad investments plus just horrible luck. Signing Reed was coming off his career year. Barely saw the field since signing. When your QB who signs for the guaranteed money smith did blows his leg out year one it doesn’t help. We’ve paid for bringing Smith in since Bruce’s genius deal. But I believe that helped get him out. Along with every other situation he botched. TWill didn’t play a down. Norman barely played I mean when your money starts the year on the bench your already at a disadvantage. But I’m happy it got Bruce gone. It’s why I could see a huge turn around if this training staff and medical dept can be NFL acceptable because we haven’t been close.
We’re still on the hook for Smiths deal so I’d allow him to work with Haskins. But we’re gonna dive into a lot of moves this year but I do not want to backload a bunch of deals or even spend big. We have a good core of youth. Resign Brandon sign a defender or 2 for decent money get that guy at LB or CB and keep the cap number low so we can move money from year to year so when we have to resign Haskins or these young guys if they prove to be centerpieces then you can front load them with the carryover cap and not strap your team with the big QB deal.

• Like 1