Free Agent QB Discussion

WindyCity

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But it is hard to expect more than 2018 Trubiksy level from him, and he has been worse than that for long stretches.

2018 Trubisky got us to 12-4 and a Division Title, if that's what we're getting then sign me up. And Dalton is comfortably better than 2019 Trubisky, with Dalton in 2019 we'd probably have been in double digit wins and back playing January football. Dalton is bang average, but he's shown he can actually run an offense competently (which Mitch can't right now), and bang average gets us to ten wins.

It makes me sad how on board I would be with Dalton on the 2020 Bears. God damn it Mitch :(

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

For one, he knows how to read coverages and that for a QB is necessary.

This is based on what? His 62% completion percentage or all the INTS he throws?

The truth is that Dalton has produced at a similar level to Trubisky and is a marginal upgrade.

Bigger issue is if Dalton can read coverages why has he produced such mediocre results? His 1 INT/game might suggest he struggles with that more than you are letting on.

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is based on what? His 62% completion percentage or all the INTS he throws?

The truth is that Dalton has produced at a similar level to Trubisky and is a marginal upgrade.

Bigger issue is if Dalton can read coverages why has he produced such mediocre results? His 1 INT/game might suggest he struggles with that more than you are letting on.

I don't think anyone is saying Dalton is a great or even good option to be a QB1, but rather that he's a decent option to have behind Mitch as a veteran who can come in and be serviceable for a team with playoff aspirations in case QB1 Mitch falters.

They are not going to give up on Mitch by signing a big name FA QB, because that would immediately spell the end of the Trubisky era, and we know that is not happening until further notice through trial and error.

So my question then is who would you rather have as a veteran backup to Mitch on an affordable contract that isn't named Mariota?

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think anyone is saying Dalton is a great or even good option to be a QB1, but rather that he's a decent option to have behind Mitch as a veteran who can come in and be serviceable for a team with playoff aspirations in case QB1 Mitch falters.

They are not going to give up on Mitch by signing a big name FA QB, because that would immediately spell the end of the Trubisky era, and we know that is not happening until further notice through trial and error.

So my question then is who would you rather have as a veteran backup to Mitch on an affordable contract that isn't named Mariota?

The statement was that he is far better.

High end Andy Dalton is 2018 Mitch Trubisky, that is what the numbers bare out. Low end Dalton, is low end Mitch.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The statement was that he is far better.

High end Andy Dalton is 2018 Mitch Trubisky, that is what the numbers bare out. Low end Dalton, is low end Mitch.

Sure...I'm still waiting to hear who would be a better option as QB2 behind him...because we know they are not going after a QB1 this offseason.

As a QB 2 I would be really happy with Dalton. But will he get paid a minimal amount? If you tell me he will get the same $6 mil Daniel got then I'd sign up in a heartbeat. If you're saying $12 mil or more then I don't even look twice at him. We're already overpaying for one disappointment at QB.

Brees, Brady, Bridgewater aren't happening. I don't think Rivers goes that far from his family either. 

Crab Legs is going to get overpaid by someone, I'd be so pissed if it was us.

Looking at the options of Dalton, Newton, Foles, Mariota, are the best options for a #2 (though Foles requiring a trade takes him out for me). I'm not inspired by any of them, so really I'd just sign the cheapest option and stack up around the QB.

The only vet that makes sense to me is Alex Smith, but that would take some serious negotiations and luck for him to heal well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

As a QB 2 I would be really happy with Dalton. But will he get paid a minimal amount? If you tell me he will get the same $6 mil Daniel got then I'd sign up in a heartbeat. If you're saying $12 mil or more then I don't even look twice at him. We're already overpaying for one disappointment at QB.

Brees, Brady, Bridgewater aren't happening. I don't think Rivers goes that far from his family either. 

Crab Legs is going to get overpaid by someone, I'd be so pissed if it was us.

Looking at the options of Dalton, Newton, Foles, Mariota, are the best options for a #2 (though Foles requiring a trade takes him out for me). I'm not inspired by any of them, so really I'd just sign the cheapest option and stack up around the QB.

The only vet that makes sense to me is Alex Smith, but that would take some serious negotiations and luck for him to heal well.

Who the heck is going to pay Andy Dalton that much money?  I'm trying to think of a team with a need at QB this off season and I don't see it. 

Only teams I can MAYBE see having interest are the Panthers or Dolphins, but I doubt it.  The Bucs are apparently interested in bringing back crab legs for another go so they're probably out.

Imagine that Ryan Tannehill only got $2M last offseason... I think Dalton can be had for $6M for sure.

I like Alex Smith but too many variables (both health/contract) to work with there.

Edited by topwop1

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Sure...I'm still waiting to hear who would be a better option as QB2 behind him...because we know they are not going after a QB1 this offseason.

Dalton would be a good #2 option.

But lets not act like he is way better than Mitch.

12 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Who the heck is going to pay Andy Dalton that much money?  I'm trying to think of a team with a need at QB this off season and I don't see it. 

Only teams I can MAYBE see having interest are the Panthers or Dolphins, but I doubt it.  The Bucs are apparently interested in bringing back crab legs for another go so they're probably out.

Imagine that Ryan Tannehill only got $2M last offseason... I think Dalton can be had for $6M for sure.

I like Alex Smith but too many variables (both health/contract) to work with there.

Tannehill got 7 million [20 cap hit], Dolphins paid 5. He did it so he could void 2020 off his old contract.

Dalton my guess will cost 8-10 million. You probably tag a 2nd year on for cap purposes and to make sure if he goes Tannehill you have him.

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think anyone will, but i never would have imagined Brock was going to get a $70mil deal either. Only takes one idiot to overpay dramatically.  

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Dalton would be a good #2 option.

But lets not act like he is way better than Mitch.

I am certainly not...and that is why I think he is a good candidate to be signed as a backup to Mitch because I am trying to think of how the team will approach this situation of wanting to continue developing Mitch while having a better backup plan behind him than they did with Daniel and Bray.

The hiring of Lazor is an indication, to me anyway, that they may be targeting Dalton.