Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

And so is at least one of Ekwonu, Cross and Neal. 

And only one of those (Cross IMO) is actually going to be a LT in the NFL.  Some positions it is hard to justify a top 5 pick, and for me IOL is at the top of that list.  I'm not trying to say I hate Ekwonu and Neal either, I just think in strictly a "what would I do" draft, they would be going picks 9 and 12.

3 minutes ago, eh3034 said:

Gotta love it though, without it the actual draft would be rather boring!

oh for sure it is fun.   

just interesting to look back on what gets tossed out there and how much of it actually comes to be true.

throw enough at the wall, something is bound to stick

Just now, squire12 said:

oh for sure it is fun.   

just interesting to look back on what gets tossed out there and how much of it actually comes to be true.

throw enough at the wall, something is bound to stick

Haha exactly!  That's why I try to loosely keep track of the "experts" that post the initial rumors (easier said than done) to try to figure out who's most reliable with what they throw out there.  

As one example, the Stingley to Houston rumor I am somewhat buying as possible because it came from someone typically reliable year after year in Pauline, and also what would Houston have to gain by putting that smoke out there (no one's jumping to 2 for Stingley)?  I'm still going to mock Sauce there though lol.

1 minute ago, eh3034 said:

Haha exactly!  That's why I try to loosely keep track of the "experts" that post the initial rumors (easier said than done) to try to figure out who's most reliable with what they throw out there.  

As one example, the Stingley to Houston rumor I am somewhat buying as possible because it came from someone typically reliable year after year in Pauline, and also what would Houston have to gain by putting that smoke out there (no one's jumping to 2 for Stingley)?  I'm still going to mock Sauce there though lol.

the "reports" are only as good as the info they get from whatever source they have with each team.  How much those teams want to spin things for a certain reason is unknown.   1 year it may be truthful, another year not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think they Jaguars are particularly weak on the offensive line, especially at tackle. From what I saw, offensive line wasn't the issue last year--Lawrence just played bad.

That is not what I saw. Quick pressure. Contested throwing lanes. Lots of bad up front.

Maybe an adult coaching staff could do better with the OL, but I am not sure that is true, particularly when the contracts are not secure for the long term.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think they Jaguars are particularly weak on the offensive line, especially at tackle. From what I saw, offensive line wasn't the issue last year--Lawrence just played bad.

Right now, our starters at LG and C would be Ben Bartch and Tyler Shatley. We need O-Line help.

2 hours ago, eh3034 said:

And only one of those (Cross IMO) is actually going to be a LT in the NFL.  Some positions it is hard to justify a top 5 pick, and for me IOL is at the top of that list.  I'm not trying to say I hate Ekwonu and Neal either, I just think in strictly a "what would I do" draft, they would be going picks 9 and 12.

Ekonwu is so gifted that he can not have a clue what he is doing and hold his own at LT. Teach him how to punch on time and stuff like that and you have yourself a LOT. Or if you believe in Walker Little put him at ROT. But Cam is playing on a tender and the OL needs stability.

People are afraid he is Greg Robinson, so it will come down to your interview with him. I think he is smarter and can learn his job. He's not a rookie All-Pro and may not start Game 1, so people would freak if he was your #1 and not starting the first day of camp.

I see real risks in Hutch, Walker, Neal, and Ekonwu. None are safe. Sucks to have the first pick this year.

• Like 1

Daniel Jeremiah's final "top 150" big board was released today.  One that really stood out to me was that he has JT Woods at 67 overall.  I felt like I was "higher than average" on him when I rated him in the 160s overall.   Other than that, I didn't see anything too eye-poppingly shocking.

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Based on comments from the Chiefs GM, if they truly only have 1st round grades on up to 18 guys, I definitely think they will be trading up. I had floated 29+30 for 11 (1260 value for 1250) with Washington before (Chiefs could get a WR there that they like), and go from there. 

I like that move for you guys as well. That gives you a decent window for a wide receiver and (if you dare) a QB. But you could also have a nice group to choose from at linebacker.