Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

Washington were obviously a very bad team last year, but they have some pieces already in their offense and a lot of draft capital this year to bolster the unit and make something out of it. Even with a Mariota, by trading down from 2 and making picks they could be too good to be in a position to draft a QB next year.

Don't think that's the case with the Patriots, they seem further in offense and with little resources for improvement this year. Any QB picked in the 3 is having a very very rough year. And even by trading for a haul and making the most with this year's pick it looks like they are gonna win very little, thus having pick capital to look for a QB then.

(Obviously if by your evaluation the QB that falls it's an A+ prospect you pick him, but don't think that's the case).

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, Penix seems to have been routinely linked as a first round prospect.  Do I view him that way?  No, but it's not hard to believe that one or two teams like him as a Day 1 prospect, and that other teams might talk themselves into taking him.  I mean, if you're Denver are you going to be content with Stidham and Wilson going into Day 2 without another top 64 pick, and hoping that someone like Bo Nix falls far enough to be able to move up the board?

So the conversation was framed around whether Las Vegas and Denver could trade back into the first round to get a Penix or Nix. Russini said lots of teams viewed Penix as a solid first rounder, i.e if LV liked him enough then doing it at 13 might be the lower risk option. Nix not viewed in that same conversation, far less likely to anyone to trade up into the first to get him.

18 hours ago, Danger said:

I feel bad for whatever QB winds up in New England frankly.

Yep. How can anyone be successful with starting LT Chukwuna Okarafor? And number 1 WR Kendrick Bourne. The roster is  Chernobyl.

We’d need to draft Joe Alt and Rome Odunze for a QB to even stand a chance at showing what he can do with the rest of this roster

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yep. How can anyone be successful with starting LT Chukwuna Okarafor? And number 1 WR Kendrick Bourne. The roster is  Chernobyl.

We’d need to draft Joe Alt and Rome Odunze for a QB to even stand a chance at showing what he can do with the rest of this roster

I'm watching the HBO miniseries Chernobyl right now and there are so many parallels between what happened there and the current New England Patriot's roster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It makes a lot of sense to trade down for a major haul and build the rest of the O firstly imo.

• Like 1

I feel like the trade scuttle on Aiyuk has definitely been picking up steam. 

Vibes here are the 49ers are willing to be open for business. 

I'm starting to think Aiyuk to New England, maybe? 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the NFL QB tiers are pretty defined.

Caleb Williams

-----------------

Drake Maye
JJ McCarthy
Jayden Daniels

-----------------

Michael Penix

-----------------

Bo Nix
Spencer Rattler

That's basically how I see it. Wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Penix does get taken in the 20's though. Teens would surprise me

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like the trade scuttle on Aiyuk has definitely been picking up steam. 

Vibes here are the 49ers are willing to be open for business. 

I'm starting to think Aiyuk to New England, maybe? 

Landing Maye and trading for Aiyuk would be a nice boost to the Pats O.

3 hours ago, The Juice said:

Don't think that's the case with the Patriots, they seem further in offense and with little resources for improvement this year. Any QB picked in the 3 is having a very very rough year. And even by trading for a haul and making the most with this year's pick it looks like they are gonna win very little, thus having pick capital to look for a QB then.

(Obviously if by your evaluation the QB that falls it's an A+ prospect you pick him, but don't think that's the case).

If the Pats don't like the third choice at QB, they could trade down with the Giants, gain a 2nd this year plus an early pick next year and take Nabers/Odunze at 6. They might be able to trade pick 34 for Aiyuk or Higgins and have an instant WR corps. Or they can take a WR there or O-line and the other position with the Giants pick. 

Patriots had a decent defense last year, just a terrible offense. Brissett should bring low ceiling competence to the QB position, they just need more talent on the O-line and skills positions. They'll likely still finish last in the AFCE and have a top 10 pick next year but with some extra capital from the Giants (presumably playing a rookie QB or else Jones with no help), they should be able to give a rookie QB a chance in 2025.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Landing Maye and trading for Aiyuk would be a nice boost to the Pats O.

Aiyuk and Daniels played together at ASU and are apparently pretty tight. 

Little draft anecdote I’ve not shared on here before but that Belichick’s appearance on McAfee last week reminded me of. A good friend of mine used to write draft articles for a UK based draft site and would fly over to the US every year for the senior bowl and combine. He stopped doing it when he became a dad but built up a decent network of contacts in the NFL scouting community.

One draft about 6-7 years ago he’s putting together his final mock and he calls a good friend of his who’s a Patriots scout at the time. He goes through a list of about 20 guys trying to get some intel.

The scout replies, verbatim, the exact same response to each guy:

”We think that guy is a good player. The Patriots are interested in all good players”.

That story always makes me laugh because I can imagine Belichick himself saying almost exactly that whenever anyone tried to pry information out of him. 

• Like 1