Should we keep Derek Carr (Voter Names Public)

Jerry

Should we keep Derek Carr (Voter Names Public)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep Derek Carr

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Luke absolutely dominated guys and was one of the toughest guys in football. He cried one time and had a concussion. A concussion causes you to react abnormally. 

bs, concussion excuse? lmfao! just own what you said. lots of warriors get teary eyed. that was just another part of the DC hate narrative.lol  im refusing to sit here and type anymore answers to this garbage, gonna go read some other threads now.... bye bye! lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Luke absolutely dominated guys and was one of the toughest guys in football. He cried one time and had a concussion. A concussion causes you to react abnormally. 

And a broken back doesn’t?

Obviously Luke is a tough guy, tears or no tears doesn’t change a thing IMO.

IIRC Carr wasn’t sobbing or anything? There were tears, but, that’s about it no? 
could easily have been emotional knowing he was going to miss time again? I don’t know, but I don’t really care about the tears.

what is more telling is how the players responded to the tears. I know panthers were furious that camera were showing Luke like that and all had his back.

i don’t know if players ever stood up for Carr, and that to me is the issue. Not the tears themself.

4 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

bs, concussion excuse? lmfao! just own what you said. lots of warriors get teary eyed. that was just another part of the DC hate narrative.lol  im refusing to sit here and type anymore answers to this garbage, gonna go read some other threads now.... bye bye! lol

You have ZERO control over your brain after a concussion. Look at Daniel Cormier crying a storm after his loss to Jon Jones. He had zero control of it. 

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agree with this, build up the team around him then we can always manouvre around next off-season if we need a change. Id be fine if we add a young guy to bring into the QB room but simply drafting a young QB is far from guaranteed to work. 

Keep Carr, if necessary groom a 3rd round rookie QB for example and continue to build. Look at Tannehill as a perfect example of a very average QB with good coaching and nice supporting cast, it's a misnomer that only elite QBs can take teams deep into the playoffs. Carr us easily good enough if the coaching and team around him is good. 

Great point.  I keep hearing people want to draft Jordan Love at 19 and to a lesser extent Herbert at 12.  How do these people expect those guys to perform with the same level of talent Carr had?  Even if you hate Carr but are objective he doesn’t suck.  He’s at worst “capable”. Build up The offense with one year make or break and if he breaks then you certainly replace him.  Whoever you bring in will at least have a team around him that’s capable of helping him be successful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm over this arguement until something happens. Have stayed away from the forum because it's clogging up every thread.

This isn't a Black or White, Yes or No question because there are two many variables.

Carr is a solid QB. Carr is not a playmaker.

Is he the long term solution who will lead the Raiders deep into the playoffs? No.

Is he the short term 'stop gap' who can win some games while Gruden has another QB learn the offense. Yes.

Bottom line.... there is no viable solution for 2020. Any rookie QB will need a year to learn the offense. No vet can come in, learn it and unseat Carr.

So Carr it is for 2020.... which is fine as the Raiders are not going to the playoffs with this roster anyway. 2021 and beyond, they either get better at QB are left a middling team fighting for relevancy in their new market.

I disagree with this. 49ers were picking #2 last season and now 1 game away from a super bowl. Packers were bad too. Teams can make jumps in one season

• Like 1

I just don't understand why we would hang onto Carr. Why keep a losing QB around? At some point, you have to get the losing funk and mentality out of the building. Players that were tied to the mediocre Raiders need to get shown the door. 

At this point, we have to go with a rookie and vet combo. Anything other than another year of Carr

The most important position on the field....Carr has seriously one of the worst records in NFL history and people want to keep him.  Think about that for a second  #2 WORST STARTING RECORD IN NFL HISTORY.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Great point.  I keep hearing people want to draft Jordan Love at 19 and to a lesser extent Herbert at 12.  How do these people expect those guys to perform with the same level of talent Carr had?  Even if you hate Carr but are objective he doesn’t suck.  He’s at worst “capable”. Build up The offense with one year make or break and if he breaks then you certainly replace him.  Whoever you bring in will at least have a team around him that’s capable of helping him be successful.

I do think we should build up the roster as the number one priority so if the QB continues to go south we actually have a football squad that can win us games at the very least. Do I think rookie Jordan Love/Herbert would do better than 7 year veteran? Probably not first crack at it. But if one of those guys shows massive potential behind Carr he could either be trade bait or the future keys to the franchise if Carr can't show he's capable of being that guy. 

4 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I just don't understand why we would hang onto Carr. Why keep a losing QB around? At some point, you have to get the losing funk and mentality out of the building. Players that were tied to the mediocre Raiders need to get shown the door. 

At this point, we have to go with a rookie and vet combo. Anything other than another year of Carr

The most important position on the field....Carr has seriously one of the worst records in NFL history and people want to keep him.  Think about that for a second  #2 WORST STARTING RECORD IN NFL HISTORY.

Carr isn’t terrible, having the #2 worst record in NFL History basically shows the Raiders have kept a below average QB longer than almost any team in NFL History. Teams don’t keep below average QBs this long. 

As for fans, I have no idea what they see in him. There is nothing special about Carr. He reads his progressions at an average speed, he’s not good at throwing guys open or throwing into windows and will refuse to do it, he doesn’t react to pressure well, he’s not mobile... there is almost nothing Carr does well. He has a strong arm but that is useless with his conservative style (which always has been his style). He’s accurate short/mid field if a guy is wide open and nails it. But really, what does Carr do well...? Almost nothing. He’s a very ordinary QB. And an ordinary QB who plays an extremely conservative style of football. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We need a QB that makes plays period. Carr doesn't keep drives alive with his feet and doesn't throw the long ball, he's a place holder at this point.

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

We need a QB that makes plays period. Carr doesn't keep drives alive with his feet and doesn't throw the long ball, he's a place holder at this point.

Wrong. I hate this new idea of what a QB is. When did Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady stop being the prototypical QB. They didn't. That is still the ideal fit. Bad TEAMS need a QB to do it all.

Teams with Bad OL require a QB that is mobile and can extend plays. 

Teams with bad WRs and a bad playcaller needs a QB that makes plays off script.  

Teams with a bad defense require a QB that can put up 35 ppg while losing the battle of field position game in and game out. 

Teams with bad running backs require a player to throw 40 times a game to win. 

I want a QB that plays within the offense, and doesn't LOSE us games.

This is a team sport it takes 22 players to win a game no less, sometimes more. 

You guys can have your Watson, Allen, Mahomes, and Jackson. I'll take Darnold, Wentz and Carr every time. 

• Like 1