New Derek Carr thread

Silver&Black88

1 hour ago, OG_C2X said:

I haven't heard the first part. But I do miss stuff so I'm not saying it isnt true... 

I really think the issue with his taking chances is his lack of trust. He took plenty of shots with Crabtree and Cooper.

I think it's a combination of Gruden getting in Carr's head about about limiting turnovers and Carr not trusting his WR. Hopefully that will improve this year. 

This is exactly what I think, Carr has to shoulder some of the blame but that is the most rational explanation to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So Gruden got in his head?

Because it was Mark Davis who loved Carr so much he wanted Reggie to draft him 4 overall reportedly.

That was in 2014 a lot can change. Obviously he soured on Carr since the extension

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo this offseason you either sell or keep carr until his contract expires. don’t think his trade value will be any higher than it is now.

I don't think Gruden/Mayock are actively looking to move on from Carr this offseason because there really isn't any free agent option that is a substantial upgrade. There's Brady but he's going to want a mega deal and could fall off at any time, Rivers is 38 and not an upgrade, Tannehill is likely going back to Tennessee, Winston is likely going back to TB, and Bridgewater provides a pretty similar skill-set to Carr but will likely come at a higher price tag. 

Even if we were to move up for Tu'a or draft Herbert/Love at #12, we'd still want to keep Carr for at least one more season, unless we trade him on draft night. 

A rumor came out today that we're more likely to pursue Mariota as a high end backup then to go all in for Brady. 

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think Gruden/Mayock are actively looking to move on from Carr this offseason because there really isn't any free agent option that is a substantial upgrade. There's Brady but he's going to want a mega deal and could fall off at any time, Rivers is 38 and not an upgrade, Tannehill is likely going back to Tennessee, Winston is likely going back to TB, and Bridgewater provides a pretty similar skill-set to Carr but will likely come at a higher price tag. 

Even if we were to move up for Tu'a or draft Herbert/Love at #12, we'd still want to keep Carr for at least one more season, unless we trade him on draft night. 

A rumor came out today that we're more likely to pursue Mariota as a high end backup then to go all in for Brady. 

Never can tell but this new regime has surprised me before with trades. Nobody is safe lol except josh and maxx and hunter lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think you're over simplifying it. The "upgrade" would be a serviceable vet and hand picked rookie QB to develop. 

If they move on from Carr it's to the future. I don't think Mayock and Gruden believe the team is in "win now"mode. They are just trying to upgrade and compete right now. They know this defense is 2-3 years away yet. They have time with a young QB if they want it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

@OG_C2X you keep making sweeping guarantees. What are you basing it off of. Sounds more your opinion than anything factual. Please expand.

It is an opinion based on a little bit of public statements made. But more so on private conversations I have had with people that work in Las Vegas that I trust know what they are telling me. 

Marcel Reece has inside information on our organization.  I fully believe he’s still hitting up PF Chang’s with Mark quite often.  The way he skipped over Mayocks support for Carr was very interesting.  It makes me think Carr will be gone if the right opportunity presents itself.

56 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Marcel Reece has inside information on our organization.  I fully believe he’s still hitting up PF Chang’s with Mark quite often.  The way he skipped over Mayocks support for Carr was very interesting.  It makes me think Carr will be gone if the right opportunity presents itself.

100% Mayock has made it very clear if the opportunity presents itself to improve at any position they are going to do it. coaches, scouts and other personnel included.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think you're over simplifying it. The "upgrade" would be a serviceable vet and hand picked rookie QB to develop. 

If they move on from Carr it's to the future. I don't think Mayock and Gruden believe the team is in "win now"mode. They are just trying to upgrade and compete right now. They know this defense is 2-3 years away yet. They have time with a young QB if they want it.

But that serviceable vet is likely a worse player than Carr. And unless we're planning to trade up, I'm not too confident in any of the QB's in the class outside of Tu'a and Burrow. 

We're definitely not in win now mode but we need to put a competitive team on the field in a new market/new stadium. We'll see how far the defense is away this year, I think we could honestly make a surprising jump depending on how we attack free agency and the draft. 

14 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I fully believe that is the case and it should be.  A GM has has to be fluid and if a better/younger/cheaper player comes in at any position you make that upgrade.

The issue is that with a QB you better be 100 percent sure the better/cheaper/younger player is better than the guy you are replacing.  If you chose to move on from a QB like Carr who clearly lacks weapons and a D and has played well with a average at best supporting cast.   If you are a GM and draft a rookie, that rookie busts and Carr lands in a spot like Chicago then takes them to the playoffs, Mayock (who I believe has done a fantastic job) will be ran out fo town. 

Do you think uneducated Miami fans now wished they had placed the proper talent around Tannihill?  Trust me Tannihill just didn't figure out how to be a serviceable QB this season, he's always had it but had no supporting cast and was in the wrong system.  He very well could have stayed in Miami and with the trash team they had this year he would have looked like garbage.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I fully believe that is the case and it should be.  A GM has has to be fluid and if a better/younger/cheaper player comes in at any position you make that upgrade.

It's almost impossible to upgrade at QB unless you do it through the draft. Outside of Burrow and Tu'a, there's not a QB in this class that I'd bank on being a better pro than Carr. 

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But that serviceable vet is likely a worse player than Carr. And unless we're planning to trade up, I'm not too confident in any of the QB's in the class outside of Tu'a and Burrow.

Doesn't matter how confident you are. It's what Mayock and Gruden think. They have the draft capital to do whatever they want.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's almost impossible to upgrade at QB unless you do it through the draft. Outside of Burrow and Tu'a, there's not a QB in this class that I'd bank on being a better pro than Carr. 

Exactly why Carr will be our QB going into this season.  To just say move on from Carr, sign some cheap vet and draft a QB like some on this board have stated without understanding the extreme risk is being very naive.  You do understand that correct?  

I don't think it is impossible to move on from Carr but as a GM you had better be 100 percent certain they QB that you are replacing him with is an upgrade because if you're wrong your career is over.  Not many GM's can withstand a blunder like that and keep their job.  I like Mayock and this exact scenario is why I do not think he would take a risk like that until he knows for certain if Carr can once again play at an MVP type level when surrounded with at least an average supporting cast and a D that is not in the bottom 3 in the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly why Carr will be our QB going into this season.  To just say move on from Carr, sign some cheap vet and draft a QB like some on this board have stated without understanding the extreme risk is being very naive.  You do understand that correct?  

I don't think it is impossible to move on from Carr but as a GM you had better be 100 percent certain they QB that you are replacing him with is an upgrade because if you're wrong your career is over.  Not many GM's can withstand a blunder like that and keep their job.  I like Mayock and this exact scenario is why I do not think he would take a risk like that until he knows for certain if Carr can once again play at an MVP type level when surrounded with at least an average supporting cast and a D that is not in the bottom 3 in the NFL.  

It looks like we're going to sign Marcus Mariota to push Carr and potentially replace him at some point in the season if he can't elevate his play. 

If we decide to move on from Carr and the replacement isn't an upgrade, Mayock's career certainly isn't over. Carr has been a middle of the pack QB for the last 3 seasons and we've had a losing record in each of those three years.