The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

On 7/19/2022 at 7:44 AM, Soggust said:

I'd rather Allen / Emmett tbh

I like Yair and he's a fun fighter, but since getting absolutely smashed by Edgar, he's got a hail mary win in a fight he was losing over Zombie, a fluke win over Ortega and a 2-1 decision over a lifetime journeyman who is struggling in the PFL atm, while also getting smoked by Max in the interim.

I understand the Ortega thing isn't his fault and a win is a win, but I don't understand the push for him to have a title shot. He's doesn't have the resume and he isn't super active. He's just a fun fighter in a relatively stale (at the top) FW division. Both Allen and Emmett have better cases, even if they aren't quite as fun (although Emmett generally in good fights).

Smoked by Max? He actually was doing well in the standup

Also Arnold Allen? I love him but beating Dan Hooker doesnt warrant an interim title shot. 
Neither has the best resume but at least Yair has faced and performed well recently vs Top-5 FWs

19 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Smoked by Max? He actually was doing well in the standup

Also Arnold Allen? I love him but beating Dan Hooker doesnt warrant an interim title shot. 
Neither has the best resume but at least Yair has faced and performed well recently vs Top-5 FWs

Couldn't disagree more. KOing Dan Hooker in rd 1 is more impressive than losing to Max Holloway or being present for a weird injury to Ortega. Maybe you could argue the KZ ko was more impressive, but I feel like KZ was dominating Yair to that point, so I don't tend to look at that as favorably as maybe I should.

Would it perhaps be different if it headlined a fight night or was like #3 on a PPV? Where it wasn't an interim title, but a #1 contender's bout while Alex heals / takes on LW?

17 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Depending on what they do with the undercard, could be best card in years.

I know they added Marina Rodriguez vs Amanda Lemos which should be relatively interesting, especially as an undercard fight.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:20 AM, Buckrock101 said:

Question: does Nate get a title shot when he loses the first four rounds, but lands a punch in the final round, laughs at Kamzat, and then puts his hands up at the end of the fight like he won?

Will be hard to deny him tbh.

This is what always puzzled me with the Diaz brothers….they could get their ***** beat for 95% of the fight, but because they strut, talk crap, and act like they won, a bunch of fans love them.

He Stockton Slapped him omg!!! Meanwhile dudes face looks like ground beef lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I mean unless Nate gets a lucky sub on the ground I can't see him not getting finished by either ground strikes or a punch or a sub. 

guy got tko'd by George for Christ sake 

Wasn't it a doctor stoppage though? That mans face is more scar tissue than anything

I think both Nate and O'Malley are being written off a bit heavily, to be honest.

To be clear, I do think both are definitely underdogs. but people are going a little too far with it.

with Nate, he probably gets taken down and mauled. but we've seen with Khamzat flashes I think that the beast starts to unravel as the fight goes on. he gets sloppier, he's easier to hit, not as explosive. he gets worse the same time Nate gets better. I see a world when Nate comes on strong and finishes him in the 4th, perhaps.

and with Yan vs O'Malley, Yan is hittable, and O'Malley's striking is clean af. we're not giving credit to what Sean can do on the feet. also, as a 3 round fight, Yan will be in trouble if he starts slow as he often does.

again, I think Yan and Khamzat win. but these fights aren't as one sided as Nunes vs (insert featherweight) or Shevchenko vs (insert flyweight).

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)