2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

6 hours ago, TitanTuff said:

Oh that hurts. And is probably right on target.

Tom Brady is in Tampa.
Cam Newton is NE.
Raiders are Vegas
Two teams in LA.
Bills are a playoff contender..

Yeah it's an upside down league..lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

How is AJ brown not an 85-88 is beyond me. How Taylor Lewan is a 84 is a joke the lowest he should be is a 88 given the suspension. Bret Kern a 84 is a joke top 3 Punter in the game. 

Hell no.  AJ is a chip on his shoulder type player. I hope no one gives him any respect all offseason so he comes in and posts like 1500 yards and 20 TDs.

44 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I have to say, after going back and rewatching 7 or 8 of Tannehill’s starts, I’m still not much of an Arthur Smith guy.

I feel the same way but I have to keep telling myself for it to have been his 1st time calling plays I give him a B-. His passing concepts & route patterns needs work, but I give him props, he took advantage of what we do best as an offense & that’s run the ball with a 6’4 260lb RB 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I feel the same way but I have to keep telling myself for it to have been his 1st time calling plays I give him a B-. His passing concepts & route patterns needs work, but I give him props, he took advantage of what we do best as an offense & that’s run the ball with a 6’4 260lb RB 

I tend to agree. The best thing I will say about him is that he definitely just got out of the way, calling a game is a lot easier when you’re getting truly elite QB and RB play. But the designs and route concepts are just so generic, relying really heavily on Tanny to make extremely tight throws. Given that he hasn’t had anything else to do, I’m hoping that he’ll come up with something a bit more creative this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I have to say, after going back and rewatching 7 or 8 of Tannehill’s starts, I’m still not much of an Arthur Smith guy.

I go back and look at the games, looking for that signature game where Tannehill just carved up a defense, but I can't say there is one. I'm not hating the easy throws off play action, but the passing game feels so plain that anyone could stop it.

If we are being honest with ourselves our passing game took off pretty much because of the play-action. Yes Tanny made some drop back throws but lot of those highlights are off bootleg/playaction.

Smith needs to mature the passing game. It has been my soapbox since the playoff run ended. 

• Like 1

Smith showed a good knack for situational play-calls....Tanny bomb to AJ against Oakland that went for 90+ yards, Tanny's bomb to AJ in the first Houston make from our own end zone, Raymond's TD against Indy and Baltimore...but yea our passing offense still seemed that it lacked complexity and nuance. 

I just hope we don't go into next season thinking "this worked last year, it'll work again." We need to continue to evolve the offense big time and take that next step.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I go back and look at the games, looking for that signature game where Tannehill just carved up a defense, but I can't say there is one. I'm not hating the easy throws off play action, but the passing game feels so plain that anyone could stop it.

If we are being honest with ourselves our passing game took off pretty much because of the play-action. Yes Tanny made some drop back throws but lot of those highlights are off bootleg/playaction.

Smith needs to mature the passing game. It has been my soapbox since the playoff run ended. 

It's clear that Smith's biggest inspiration came from LaFleur, who is of course a Shanahan disciple and runs mainly their style of offense(their being Mike and Kyle, suppose you can throw Kubiak in to the discussion at this point as long as he's been doing it and the tweaks he's made over the years), which that is their passing offense. There's never going to be drop back and pass without heavy roll outs/play action in this style of offense. Bootlegs and zone run are the Shanahan offense staples, and always will be. That style of offense has been successful since Shanahan and Elway started running it together in the 90s and it's showing no signs of stopping, Mike Shanahan truly doesn't get enough credit for his offensive genius. Kyle gets all kinds of love now, but he's really still just running largely what his dad did(obviously some twists and turns over the years, but the base of the offense is still the same).

What you bring up is one "downside" to it. People watch the QB play/passing play in the offense and thing it looks dumbed down or unimpressive, even if it's successful. John Elway had already built a reputation as an elite/HOF QB before pairing with Shanahan, but you look at the QBs who have had success in the offense over the years and they're all guys that despite performing well in the offense, received little to no credit. The Plummers, the Schaubs, the Cousins and now the Garoppolos of the world When you compare actual success running the offense vs praise received from the outside, it's extremely disproportionate. All the credit goes to the run game/RBs in these systems, even though it's been shown you can literally plug and play any RB in the Shanahan offense.

The exciting thing for us is pure talent wise, Tannehill is probably the best QB to run this offense since Elway. Your only two other arguments being RG3 and Cutler, and obviously those experiments ended for different reasons prematurely. Tannehill has the arm talent to put the ball pretty much anywhere on the field, and isn't just mobile in the pocket, he can actually run, which is something only really RG3 has ever offered a Shanahan offense, and we saw what his one healthy season of play gave to it, before he was ruined by injuries and apparently ego(of course RG3 is a better runner than Tannehill, but you get my point).

We'll see if Tannehill's performance matches his talent level in this offense(like it did over the last half of last year) or if he "settles" in to being one of the Schaubs of the QB world. If he continues to match his talent, the Titans being a top 3 scoring offense like they were once he took over is a definite possibility given how this offense works.

• Like 2