2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Here's my question...

We have people in here saying we have no money to spend on WR/DL but yet it feels like other teams are made of it and you have the funny guys saying the salary cap isn't real. Is it solely due to having to pay a franchise QB? 

If we really want to we can.  It’s as simple as that.  But if we do, it likely means losing some good players to cuts.  Rams, Falcons, Bears... They’re all going to be cutting some good players or already have.  Bears probably haven’t done it yet so we can’t get them, but they’ll be cutting some good players after the draft.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Clay could extend his career by three years if he played ILB.  I think he could still be effective there and have a few EDGE snaps, too,

Anyone who thinks Goodson/Fackrell were more impactful than Matthews would have been playing both of their spots last year for Green Bay needs his/her head examined. 

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Anyone who thinks Goodson/Fackrell were more impactful than Matthews would have been playing both of their spots last year for Green Bay needs his/her head examined. 

Those who deny the greatness of Sackrell!!!!!!

Edited by ThatJerkDave

IMO our next FA signing has to be an offensive skill position player.  I would be shocked if Gute does not attempt to improve Rodgers offensive weapons before the draft.The WR group needs to improve, we may not necessarily sign someone to be our no.2 but we can sign someone to improve the depth. Other than Adams the entire WR group has underwhelmed. I would be very surprised if we stuck with the status quo before the draft. Same reasoning with the TE.

We totally should be looking at trades. Lane Taylor, Josh Jackson, Dean Lowry, Montraveous Adams and Oren Burks are our most tradeable assets whom we can be comfortable parting with. We can either acquire players to boost certain problem positions or we could collect draft picks.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Here's my question...

We have people in here saying we have no money to spend on WR/DL but yet it feels like other teams are made of it and you have the funny guys saying the salary cap isn't real. Is it solely due to having to pay a franchise QB? 

The Packers have about 15 million to spend now. They could cut Taylor and restructure Z to turn that into 25 million. 

They could then sign two players to contacts like 5/100 but structure the contract so that it pays out with cap hits of 10/15/20/25/30 each year respectively.

The problem with that strategy is that the team is absolutely dead *** screwed in 2024 when they've got 12 guys who all have to be cut resulting in $100 million in dead cap.

If you're a ****ty team who doesn't think long term, this is what you do. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it) the Packers plan ahead. 

Now, at some point there's an argument to be made that Rodgers is just about done, and it's time to embrace the short term vision. That did not happen this year by all appearances.