2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

3upjus.jpg

Are you honestly going to continue acting like his role literally wasn't exactly how he described it? 

I'm going to continue to act like he was an ILB paid to make plays whether he's shooting a gap or playing off of the guys up front (like he described). The idea that he's some unimportant "clean up" guy who's supposed to just tackle guys 5 yards down field is laughable. I watched guys like David Harris and Bart Scott thrive in Pettine's defense. So either it was the same role for Martinez and he couldn't do it or it was different, lesser role because Pettine knew Martinez couldn't handle more. The guy was ordinary under Pettine and he was ordinary under Capers. He'll be ordinary in NY. Only difference is that he tricked them into paying $10 million a year to do it.

At the end of the day, I really couldn't care less anyways. Martinez is gone and therefore out of sight, out of mind. Let's see how Kirksey does in his place. I'm excited.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm going to continue to act like he was an ILB paid to make plays whether he's shooting a gap or playing off of the guys up front (like he described). The idea that he's some unimportant "clean up" guy who's supposed to just tackle guys 5 yards down field is laughable. I watched guys like David Harris and Bart Scott thrive in Pettine's defense. So either it was the same role for Martinez and he couldn't do it or it was different, lesser role because Pettine knew Martinez couldn't handle more. The guy was ordinary under Pettine and he was ordinary under Capers. He'll be ordinary in NY. Only difference is that he tricked them into paying $10 million a year to do it.

At the end of the day, I really couldn't care less anyways. Martinez is gone and therefore out of sight, out of mind. Let's see how Kirksey does in his place. I'm excited.

Bart Scott and David Harris played in entirely different schemes. They played in the scheme more similar to what we played in Pettine's first year here, where Martinez had 5 sacks and we got our sack production via blitzes rather than edge rusher pressure.

You'll notice the thing about both of them, neither could cover a lick. 

👔
1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

How? That's the market lol

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bart Scott and David Harris played in entirely different schemes. They played in the scheme more similar to what we played in Pettine's first year here, where Martinez had 5 sacks and we got our sack production via blitzes rather than edge rusher pressure.

You'll notice the thing about both of them, neither could cover a lick. 

Also, in another thread (now locked) you said "strongly suspect that if you were to take a decade's worth of sample size, the Packers would be the lowest ranked team in the league in terms of resources invested at ILB. "

To argue with your generally negative comments on ILBs I have this.

In the last FIVE years here is the ILB investment, ignoring picks like Biegel who were more OLB than ILB.

Round 4 2015. Jake Ryan
Round 4 2016 Blake Martinez
Round 2 2017 Josh Jones (hybrid cover LB/S)
Round 3 2018 Oren Burks

That kind of investment is plenty and probably more than what most teams put into that position over that time.

Now it may be that the end result of that investment was not what the Packers hoped for...................but the investment WAS there. I have countered the argument of insufficient investment several times and on various sites. The desired production may not have been there, but the investment has been made.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Also, in another thread (now locked) you said "strongly suspect that if you were to take a decade's worth of sample size, the Packers would be the lowest ranked team in the league in terms of resources invested at ILB. "

To argue with your generally negative comments on ILBs I have this.

In the last FIVE years here is the ILB investment, ignoring picks like Biegel who were more OLB than ILB.

Round 4 2015. Jake Ryan
Round 4 2016 Blake Martinez
Round 2 2017 Josh Jones (hybrid cover LB/S)
Round 3 2018 Oren Burks

That kind of investment is plenty and probably more than what most teams put into that position over that time.

Now it may be that the end result of that investment was not what the Packers hoped for...................but the investment WAS there. I have countered the argument of insufficient investment several times and on various sites. The desired production may not have been there, but the investment has been made.

Josh Jones wasn't a damn ILB. He was a Safety. 

So we've spent 1 Day 2 pick, 2 Day 3 picks and given out no significant ILB contracts in the last 5 years, up until this off-season where we wrote a short team mid tier deal.

That's nothing

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Josh Jones wasn't a damn ILB. He was a Safety. 

So we've spent 1 Day 2 pick, 2 Day 3 picks and given out no significant ILB contracts in the last 5 years, up until this off-season where we wrote a short team mid tier deal.

That's nothing

Yeah, they picked a 220lb guy who ran a 4.42 40 purely as a safety - get over yourself, you are flat out wrong and have confused a lack of talent with a lack of investment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Yeah, they picked a 220lb guy who ran a 4.42 40 purely as a safety - get over yourself, you are flat out wrong and have confused a lack of talent with a lack of investment.

Never going to admit he was wrong on any topic at anytime. Facts don't matter! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The only ILB he ever played was in the dime pressure package. That's not an ILB. He was drafted as a Safety, he played the vast majority of his standard down reps as a safety. He was listed as a safety in every start. Didn't he even cut weight his sophomore season down to like 208 or something?

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Um, they picked Josh Jones to play safety. @AlexGreen#20 is 100% right on this one, you are wrong.

They only moved him to hybrid when he started to fail at safety.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The only ILB he ever played was in the dime pressure package. That's not an ILB. He was drafted as a Safety, he played the vast majority of his standard down reps as a safety. He was listed as a safety in every start. Didn't he even cut weight his sophomore season down to like 208 or something?

Funny, we were having a conversation about our secondary and when I mentioned Chandon Sullivan was listed as a CB, you chimed in with how he plays most many of his snaps as a safety and therefore you were correct. 

It really is OK to admit being wrong once in a while. It is actually a positive characteristic.