QB Rankings

Jerry1738

On 1/31/2020 at 8:56 PM, Ragnarok said:

I honestly think he becomes a Matt Cassel.  Good enough to stick around for a long time, be an awesome backup, and win you a fair share of games if he needs to come in.  But just can't get it done over a long-term basis.  

Cassel is an odd comparison. You could be right...but, initially, I'd say the talent evaluation is off, there. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:20 PM, BayRaider said:

Fromm will be better than Goff. Guaranteed. 

I can't take that seriously. I hope Fromm is good, but...c'mon. 

On 2/3/2020 at 1:42 PM, Rich7sena said:

I keep waiting for folks to come around on Eason being the clear QB3 but it’s not happening. As a Raiders fan, I’d be happy taking him at 12–and I like Derek Carr. I see Carson Wentz upside with a pretty safe floor.

Herbert's the clear QB3. There's plenty to like about Eason, though. I hope the Raiders (for their sake) keep Carr. I think it would be foolish to discard him. 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, Bullet Club said:

Did they? Seemed like everyone loved him outside of his height. I never heard anything about lacking arm strength.

A LOT of people picked Wilson apart, outside of his height. 

On 2/4/2020 at 2:37 PM, animaltested said:

People pumping up Eason, did you guys ACTUALLY watch him this year? Like, I know I was the only person watching UW games on the board so I'm kinda wondering where this Eason love is coming from. Dude throws a beautiful deep ball and is deadly down the seams. But other than that.... oh boy. Jake Browning and his busted throwing shoulder had arguably a similar year as Eason with the same unit.

Eason really struggles handling pressure. Has awful habits (turning back to the field, bailing on pockets). Struggles to work down to his peripherals. Had huge stretches of atrocious football. Eason was pretty awful in the short passing game, thus UW had to spam bubble screens to make up for it (compounded stretches of awful football).I dont know how fixable any of these things are. If you are talking yourself into Eason, go watch the 2nd half of the Utah game. He is a huge project, and should viewed as one in the draft. 

Yeah. You're the only one who watched Eason play this year. For sure. 

17 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Wentz from an athletic standpoint is head and shoulders above Eason. 

That's not at all true. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You'd consider Eason an athletic QB?

Somewhat. I'd also consider Wentz to not be SUPER athletic. And I like Wentz a lot. I think "head and shoulders" is an exaggeration, and arm strength should factor into any overall consideration of athleticism. 

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I look forward to watching Eason vs. Fromm NFL careers unfolding. 

Same.  I feel like they're in a similar tier (second round), though I think Fromm is in front of Eason significantly.  Mechanics vs tools, essentially.  And if I've got a team without a legitimate QB developer, there are a lot of prospects in this class that I wouldn't touch until Day 3.

If Eason fell to the Titans' pick in the second, I think that'd be about where he ought to be picked.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Burrow doesn't have Luck's physical traits.
Herbert doesn't read the field like Carson, but if he can learn to, then sure I can see it.
Love - Kaepernick is a comp I myself made.
Eason - Winston, yeah gonna be honest I don't see this one. I'd say a more accurate, less mobile Josh Allen.

I don't have a half decent comp for Burrow.  Best I was doing was more athletic Rivers.

Love to Kaepernick is a good one, I think, but with worse mechanics and a lesser resume.  Him and Hurts are in the same tier for me: tools but a mess mechanically.  That's why I wouldn't want them or Eason till pretty late without a proven developer.  All need to be taught how to play the position in NFL.

I also like smaller armed Josh Allen as a comp for Eason (I think I had Allen as a second rounder too).

26 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

arm strength should factor into any overall consideration of athleticism. 

We disagree on this whole thing, but this the most. Measuring arm strength at any level is not an indication of ones athleticism and it doesn't make much sense to factor that in.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

We disagree on this whole thing, but this the most. Measuring arm strength at any level is not an indication of ones athleticism and it doesn't make much sense to factor that in.

I don't get what you're saying, overall. You think Wentz is super athletic, apparently? 

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't get what you're saying, overall. You think Wentz is super athletic, apparently? 

Super athletic? I don't know. But very athletic for a guy who is 6'5 230+ lbs, absolutely. He's shown it over and over in his escapability and scrambling.

Edited by Jlash

39 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Super athletic? I don't know. But very athletic for a guy who is 6'5 230+ lbs, absolutely. He's shown it over and over in his escapability and scrambling.

I still don't understand the crux of your argument. Trubisky is more "athletic" than Wentz. If the Eagles want to do a one for one swap, as a Bears fan, I'll reluctantly agree to that. :D

Brady is less athletic than either of them. He's the lesser QB, then? 

I'm actually sort of confused as to how Wentz entered the Eason conversation in the first place...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I still don't understand the crux of your argument. Trubisky is more "athletic" than Wentz. If the Eagles want to do a one for one swap, as a Bears fan, I'll reluctantly agree to that. :D

Brady is less athletic than either of them. He's the lesser QB, then? 

I'm actually sort of confused as to how Wentz entered the Eason conversation in the first place...

All this back and forth could've been avoided if, when you went ahead and quoted me, you read what I posted and what I was quoting. Right?

Someone used Wentz as his comp for Eason. I said Wentz is a far superior athlete. 

I didn't say more athletic players are better QB's. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jlash said:

All this back and forth could've been avoided if, when you went ahead and quoted me, you read what I posted and what I was quoting. Right?

Someone used Wentz as his comp for Eason. I said Wentz is a far superior athlete. 

Gotcha. I discarded that "comp" straight away. It doesn't fit.

Although, I still do think "head and shoulders" (above) is an exaggeration. Eason isn't a bad athlete. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If Eason fell to the Titans' pick in the second, I think that'd be about where he ought to be picked.

I don't have a half decent comp for Burrow.  Best I was doing was more athletic Rivers.

Love to Kaepernick is a good one, I think, but with worse mechanics and a lesser resume.  Him and Hurts are in the same tier for me: tools but a mess mechanically.  That's why I wouldn't want them or Eason till pretty late without a proven developer.  All need to be taught how to play the position in NFL.

I also like smaller armed Josh Allen as a comp for Eason (I think I had Allen as a second rounder too).

Eason has a very good arm (maybe not Josh Allen) but one of the bigger arms in the last handful of years.

The comp I've had for Burrow is a Chad Pennington with a better arm and more mobility.

The Canes took a lot of heat this season for being the first college team in 40 years to lose 3 times in the same season when favored by -14 or more. Meanwhile, Eason nearly matched that feat with Washington. I don't know how that is ignored in terms of his projection.

A top quarterback prospect should be finding ways to put up points in college football, given all the possessions and methods to score points. The clock basically never runs in college football. Yet Eason not only lost at -13.5 hosting California, and -14.5 at Stanford, and -14 at Colorado, but it was the offense at fault every time. This was hardly a matter of Eason doing his part yet simply being outscored. Washington scored 19, 13 and 14 points in those games. That should be next to impossible, especially in a defensively challenged conference. Eason's YPA in those games were 5.4, 5.7 and 6.1. Again, that should be borderline impossible. That is almost in JT Barrett territory considering the laughably low YPA Barrett used to put up in major games. 

Sometimes the basic stuff works. Draft sites and scouts themselves are often the absolute worst in fixating on trivial subjective stuff while ignoring or downplaying the bottom line realities. Can this player impress the scoreboard? North Carolina was 44th in the nation in points per game during Trubisky's one full season as starter, yet he was shoved into high first round. Texas Tech was #5 and Clemson #14 that season. Washington was #41 in points per game in 2019. Georgia was a miserable #49. Fromm is another one who simply can't budge the scoreboard when required. He put up 0 points total during the 4th quarter (3 in overtime) of those two meetings with Alabama. Contrast to DeShaun Watson who managed 31 points in the 4th quarter during two games against Alabama. In 2019, Georgia went under its projected one-team point total in every SEC game except the Tennessee game. Contrast to Tua who went over the projected one-team point total for Alabama in every SEC game he played during 2019 except...ironically...the Tennessee game.

Jordan Love has a lot to work on. But at least there is quite a bit of evidence he can indeed impress the scoreboard when he's got sufficient personnel surrounding him. Utah State was second in the nation in points per game in 2018, just behind Oklahoma (Murray) and just ahead of Alabama (Tua). Clemson with Lawrence was 4th.

Edited by Awsi Dooger

12 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

A top quarterback prospect should be finding ways to put up points in college football, given all the possessions and methods to score points. The clock basically never runs in college football. Yet Eason not only lost at -13.5 hosting California, and -14.5 at Stanford, and -14 at Colorado, but it was the offense at fault every time. This was hardly a matter of Eason doing his part yet simply being outscored. Washington scored 19, 13 and 14 points in those games. That should be next to impossible, especially in a defensively challenged conference. Eason's YPA in those games were 5.4, 5.7 and 6.1. Again, that should be borderline impossible. That is almost in JT Barrett territory considering the laughably low YPA Barrett used to put up in major games. 

As a UW Fan, I'm going to defend Eason a bit (Well just once, and ultimately AGREE WITH YOU), as context matters. The Cal game was played after a 4 hour delay. Those guys were playing in windy, cold, wet conditions at 1am. The other games, no excuse. Easons struggles came when protection was shaky. Stanford absolutely dominated the trenches. Eason spent most of the last three quarters throwing the ball away, or hitting bubble screens on 3rd and 12. Colorado was just an absolute turd. Probably helped send Peterson into retirement. But the question is, why didn't Eason elevate UW?

What was infuriating was UW's offense had a lot of talent. The offensive line had three 2020 NFL players (Adams, Harris, Hilbers) with Wattenburg and Kirkland more than likely playing in the NFL within the next two years. Salvon Ahmed, Hunter Bryant and Cade Otton are both going to be playing on Sundays. Aaron Fuller probably will too. Yet, the offensive had long.... LONG stretches of complete ineptitude.  So what was the problem? A lot of people blame the OC Hamdan which is justified. But if Eason is the player people think he is, why was the offense so inconsistent, borderline awful?  Jake Browning, a much more limited player (Who was BENCHED at one point in his senior year) had roughly the same level of play as Eason with pretty much the same unit. Eason never seemed to elevate the team like you would expect an NFL caliber player to do so. Closest time would be the Oregon game, a loss.

I like Eason, I had fun watching him this year, and I want him to succeed for purely biased reasons. But coming from a UW fan that watched just about every game this year, buyer beware. Dude has a A+++++ arm, one of the prettiest deep balls I have ever seen (watching it live in person is something to behold) and can attack the seems as good as anyone. But everything else; mixed bag. I guess your faith in Eason comes down to how much you think he can fix those issues and unlearn those bad habits (Late throws, bailing on pockets, eyeing down pressure, turning back to the field, limited vision underneath etc). Not sure what the track record is on QB's that struggled in college, elevating themselves In the NFL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

A top quarterback prospect should be finding ways to put up points in college football, given all the possessions and methods to score points. The clock basically never runs in college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401110813

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Jordan Love has a lot to work on. 

I can agree with you there.