QB Rankings

Jerry1738

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I keep waiting for folks to come around on Eason being the clear QB3 but it’s not happening. As a Raiders fan, I’d be happy taking him at 12–and I like Derek Carr. I see Carson Wentz upside with a pretty safe floor.

The upside is absolutely there, the downside is not safe though. 
I've said a couple times already that I think Eason has the the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft, but he could also end up being Mitch Trubisky.

Just now, Danger said:

I've said a couple times already that I think Eason has the the highest ceiling of any QB in this draft, but he could also end up being Mitch Trubisky.

I would have followed along had you said Mike Glennon, but not Trubisky.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, he went from being a sub-60% CMP% and a 2:1 TD:INT ratio at NC State to completing 73% of his passes and a 8:1 TD:INT ratio.  The arm strength wasn't an issue, but most thought that his production was a byproduct of the system he played in.

I can't speak for everyone but I don't remember hearing that as more than a footnote. 

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I would agree.  But I think he's closer to Glennon in terms of risk/reward than Trubisky.

Perhaps. I just never felt all that highly on Trubisky to begin with. He felt like the highest rated QB by default in that draft kinda at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danger said:

A downside of Mitchell Trubisky doesn't seem that low to me. And honestly, I don't see the comp.

When I think of floor I think of a percentage that the player, in this case, does not turn out to be a franchise starter. Eason has the arm, accuracy, and mobility to at least be a competent starter in the league. To me, his biggest negative is his limited starting experience which begets his limited tape.

But to me, if you cut up the 10 best throws of every QB prospect in this draft, Eason would probably be well represented on that list. Conversely, if you cut up the 10 worst throws, I don't think Eason shows up too often.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

A downside of Mitchell Trubisky doesn't seem that low to me. And honestly, I don't see the comp.

When I think of floor I think of a percentage that the player, in this case, does not turn out to be a franchise starter. Eason has the arm, accuracy, and mobility to at least be a competent starter in the league. To me, his biggest negative is his limited starting experience which begets his limited tape.

But to me, if you cut up the 10 best throws of every QB prospect in this draft, Eason would probably be well represented on that list. Conversely, if you cut up the 10 worst throws, I don't think Eason shows up too often.

His negatives are his mental aspects. He's the antithesis of Joe Burrow.

Yeah lost me on that one too. I think some say his decisions need work but that's true of Love, and most mocks I'm seeing have Love drafted over him, sometimes way before him (the Colts are the most common draftee, no doubt because they visited Utah to check him out). I'm sorry I know stats aren't everything to say the least but I'm not spending my #1 pick on a "QB of the future" who had almost as many INTs as TDs last year, I don't care if he had WRs with arms like a T Rex.  

I think SD drafts Eason after Burrow and Tua goes to Cincy and the Fins then the Colts take Love. Some have the Panthers making a play but IMO that's a mistake, they may have something in Allen and nobody is good enough to reach for in the draft.  

Edited by bomont

16 hours ago, Danger said:

Eason's floor and ceiling are both higher than Glennon's.

While I would agree with the latter, I don't know about his floor being higher.  Glennon looked pro ready as a prospect.  Pro backup ready, but he looked to have the tools.  Eason has a lot to work on, and if I had to depend on rookie Glennon or Eason to win the first game of the season, and just that game, I'd go with Glennon.

Eason is a better overall prospect in my mind though (I have him as middle second rounder, had Glennon as a Day 3) because his ceiling is way higher.  He has all the physical tools (maybe even elite physical tools), but his decision-making is bad, and he doesn't show any real clutch ability from what I've seen.

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What, specially, about his mental game appear to be lacking?

Decision-making.  He makes bad throws that should be obviously bad throws to a QB.  He's not as severely lacking as Love, but I'd want a proven QB developer on my staff before I spent a first on him.

21 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I keep waiting for folks to come around on Eason being the clear QB3 but it’s not happening. As a Raiders fan, I’d be happy taking him at 12–and I like Derek Carr. I see Carson Wentz upside with a pretty safe floor.

We have far too many problems to take QBs first when our QB is above average. We need to fix the defense and get WRs. That's just my opinion. I don't see any value with Eason at 12 either and he's my QB 2 (I think Tua's injury history moves him down not based on his talent). This QB class sucks.... again

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

While I would agree with the latter, I don't know about his floor being higher.  Glennon looked pro ready as a prospect.  Pro backup ready, but he looked to have the tools.  Eason has a lot to work on, and if I had to depend on rookie Glennon or Eason to win the first game of the season, and just that game, I'd go with Glennon.

Eason is a better overall prospect in my mind though (I have him as middle second rounder, had Glennon as a Day 3) because his ceiling is way higher.  He has all the physical tools (maybe even elite physical tools), but his decision-making is bad, and he doesn't show any real clutch ability from what I've seen.

Decision-making.  He makes bad throws that should be obviously bad throws to a QB.  He's not as severely lacking as Love, but I'd want a proven QB developer on my staff before I spent a first on him.

Agreed, Glennon was fairly polished. I think Eason's issues are his consistency in all aspects, not specifically decision making. He has the best arm in this class but he misfires a lot. I like his clutch ability tho. It's why I think his upside is pretty good. I liken him more to a Kaepernick or Brock Osweiler.