Browns hire Alex Van Pelt as OC

RaidersAreOne

personally like that he intends to be the play caller.  didn't like the idea of a rookie HC also being the play caller.  that said, this is a rookie OC calling plays, so we shall see if it's a good decision.  really don't have anything to base any opinions on, but i do worry about our diva WRs mixing with limited experienced coaches.

• Like 1

One other thing to consider.

No - Alex has never been an NFL head coach. But he has been in the league since 2006 as either a QB coach or an OC. And Aaron was pissed that the Packers didn't retain him.

That is significant NFL experience for Stefanski to draw from if he chooses to. Can't tell you how much I love the fact that it appears Stefanski won't be the primary play caller. That's just too much to put on a rookie HC's plate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Agreed.

Seems like a good hire. Only time will tell.

Can we start making offseason hype videos yet?

Dude, we're winning the Super Bowl. Get out in front of this.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Noice!

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Looks like a football guy to me 

😠😡😤

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

50% of football guys have the body shape of a football

This. And the other 50% look like Hochules.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Well none of us has any idea on any of the favorites to land the OC role. That includes McDaniel. It’s amazing to me the passion I see for unknowns and the hatred for equal unknowns. 

Unless of course you have a “B.I.L“ like mind control. 

Good point. Also like that nickname there.

52 minutes ago, bungleodeon said:

personally like that he intends to be the play caller.  didn't like the idea of a rookie HC also being the play caller.  that said, this is a rookie OC calling plays, so we shall see if it's a good decision.  really don't have anything to base any opinions on, but i do worry about our diva WRs mixing with limited experienced coaches.

Yeah, as much as we are all in on Stefanski, it's generally a bad idea for a first-time HC to call plays as well. This is a good thing.

38 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Dammit Buno - I gotta go change my shorts...........

I just happily peed myself during a fit of uncontrollable laughter

Don't use buno's funny jokes to excuse your incontinence.

• Like 1

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-hiring-alex-van-pelt-as-browns-offensive-coordinator.html

"Van Pelt helped run a version of the West Coast offense that Gary Kubiak, now the Vikings’ coordinator, installed in Minnesota last year with Stefanski running the offense. It’s virtually the same scheme that Kyle Shanahan coached to a Super Bowl berth Sunday against the Chiefs."

Pines, fire it up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01/kevin-stefanski-hiring-alex-van-pelt-as-browns-offensive-coordinator.html

"Van Pelt helped run a version of the West Coast offense that Gary Kubiak, now the Vikings’ coordinator, installed in Minnesota last year with Stefanski running the offense. It’s virtually the same scheme that Kyle Shanahan coached to a Super Bowl berth Sunday against the Chiefs."

Pines, fire it up.

He was their qb coach. I’m not buying he helped run or installed anything. That was Zac Taylor’s offense he had in LA. Sounds like another case of the media trying to project their hopes onto someone. Fact is he’s completely unknown as an OC. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

He was their qb coach. I’m not buying he helped run or installed anything. That was Zac Taylor’s offense he had in LA. Sounds like another case of the media trying to project their hopes onto someone. Fact is he’s completely unknown as an OC. 

Aaron Rodgers spoke glowingly of him and the four years he was his QB coach.  He is in lock-step with Stefanski. Let's be real: if Baker develops under him, he is GOAT. On paper it's a very sensible hire (we'll see, of course). The guy is absolutely not an unknown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Van Pelt is a fantastic QB Coach and creates additional QBC/OC redundancies on the staff which is a positive.

However, MKC takes a ton of liberties there as Van Pelt's offensive experience and the system's he's called in the past are West Coast schemes much different than the Kubiak and Shannahan WCO but instead more aligned with the Paul Hackett, Gruden and Holmgren WCO.

Going back to his time at Pitt as a player he's been around and worked with Mike McCarthy and Jon Gruden as they were birthed into West Coaching Offense under Pitt HC Paul Hackett. That system and playbook (https://www.footballxos.com/download/2001-ny-jets-offense-pdf/?wpdmdl=4221&ind=0 is a much different texture and operation than the Gibbs/Ferentz/Shanahan/Kubiak WCO.

Variations and adaptations of the Hackett/Gruden WCO have been what Van Pelt has implemented in each one of his stops.

The good news is that system is insanely detail oriented on QB footwork and eye training and makes each QB be a graduate level thinker in order to effectively run the offense.

The connection to the Kubiak system has likely come as all WCO coaches expand their knowledge throughout their careers. There is an explicit connection as well as Van Pelt worked with Brian Callahan (son of Browns OLC Bill Callahan) with the Bengals last year and one of Brian's biggest influencers during his time in Denver was Gary Kubiak during 2015 to 2016 as Head Coach, as well as 2017 to 2018 as Senior Personnel Advisor.

In the year working with Callahan, there's no doubt that Van Pelt absolutely picked up on the Kubiak playbook and scheme; however, it's one thing to have been exposed to a scheme and philosophy in-depth for a year and another thing to have graduate level expertise and play-call instincts that fit that system.

Van Pelt may have sold himself in the interview with Stefanski as wanting to go forward with that scheme as his new play-calling philosophy while integrating the Hackett/Gruden/Holmgren/McCarthy philosophies he's been accustomed to calling and installing as an OC in the past. Maybe he expressed that he's been all in on that system for years now, but hasn't had the opportunity to show so as a play-caller yet. Will be interesting to see what's what.

Here's to hoping Van Pelt can either adapt or has completely bought in to ZBS WCO.

There's an interesting offensive scheme diversity in the room, but I'd rather another main ZBS guy be hired as QBC so that we don't drift away to other offensive philosophies.

I also would rather Van Pelt be the QBC with Coordinator title and Scangarello be the OC in name as Van Pelt is the superior QBC.

I still wonder if Stefanski decides to be the ZBS expert in the room and call plays with the collaboration of others or if instead the play-calling will be handed over to Van Pelt. Will be interesting to see the QBC development. It would also be great if he could pull 1 Quality Coach from the 49ers and 1 from the Vikings who are rising talented ZBS coaches. The two that I hope we can get here are Taylor Embree and Christian Jones. Both are thought to be ascending offensive coaches. Both could develop into core Offensive coaches or OCs in time; both are over-qualified for the position; and both are African American which would be a positive add in the thought/perspective/experience diversity on a staff that currently is missing that positive organizational element.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Pines, fire it up.

If thats the case then we are going to need alllll of the fullbacks. That type of offense is nice, but you have to have to OL to do it. Its not just the scheme but SFs OL is really really good so all the more reason to assume the Browns will be going OT at #10 and maybe OG in the 3rd or 4th.

Edited by AkronsWitness

15 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man idk if y’all saw that week 17 game 

but Bengals offense looked lethal against us 

if he’s going to run that ball I’m down if he does terrible Stefanski can always take it back and see how it rolls 

I’m good with it

To be fair though, by week 17 I think the entire team wanted to just finish the season and get out for a few months.  It’s not like the Bengals were playing against the 9ers front 4 that game.

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

To be fair though, by week 17 I think the entire team wanted to just finish the season and get out for a few months.  It’s not like the Bengals were playing against the 9ers front 4 that game.

Even the previous game they should have beat us in they one too honestly 

Cinci played well at times their line was just terrible and they beat playmaker missed the entire year 

they competed and scored points