The good, the bad, the ugly vs. Jets

RaidersAreOne

And I love Crabtree, he is one of my favorite players in the league. I have been on this board since 08 clamoring for him. Lol i remember arguing with BIg Palooka and BayArea07 saying he's too slow when he came out of TTech. But make no mistake, Crab benefits alot from having Coop on the other side of him. Crab woiuldn't get all the one on one looks he gets.

Does Crab have better hands than Coop? Yep. Does he have a better feel for the game and better rapport with Carr than Coop? Yep. But if you ask me who would I trust to get open against the Talibs, Chris Harris, Marcus Peters, Verretts of the world I would trust Coop. Crabtree has never been a guy who dominates when he faces top corners who can man up on him.

18 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

You ask defenders around the league who is the Raiders #1 wr and who they are most afraid of, and I guarantee its coop. 

I don't think our opinions will really settle this. We'll have to wait for the pudding (where the proof is) at the end of the year. We can talk about drawing coverage all we want but I think the team's plan is that they both appear as #1WRs. You, as a opposing team shift your coverage to Coop, fine, we feed Crab and vise versa.

But when Crab catches everything, blocks with the best of them, is a killer in the redzone and 3rd down, runs elite routes (like the out route in the endzone for a TD) and most of all, Carr trust him more, Crab deserves the mantle, atleast for now. Cooper may change the argument with a few great games but IMO that only reinforces my view that the team's plan is for both to be dominate and the defense to pick their poison. I bet the Washington Synders will be paying special attention to Crab this week.

In any case, it's a great discussion that we are able to have because we have 2 great players.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I think its far too early to say Coop is disappearing like he did for stretches of his first two years. Its been two games. One was a closely contested game where Coop made a couple big 3rd and long conversions late in the game, and the other was a blowout. We have arguably the most balanced offense in the league, with a multitude of weapons so this offense isn't reliant on any one player to have a great game to move the ball except DC. There will be games this year when Coop has a huge game and Crab doesn't.

And yes the drops have been disappointing, but you gotta keep going to him. Hell, Crabtree dropped the ball more then anyone on the team last year and Carr didn't lose confidence in him. Same with Seth Roberts. 

I agree with this, especially that we need to keep throwing to him.  He is a good WR, but we all know he can be great so it's hard to see him struggle at times.  

Luckily we have so many weapons that it doesn't hurt too much when Cooper isn't a threat every week 

1 hour ago, daineraider said:

I agree with this, especially that we need to keep throwing to him.  He is a good WR, but we all know he can be great so it's hard to see him struggle at times.  

Luckily we have so many weapons that it doesn't hurt too much when Cooper isn't a threat every week 

That's the big thing, just keep throwing the ball to him. Got to get his confidence built up. And you're right, having weapons that negate his lack of production is nice. But again, you are correct that his drops and lack of elite production are frustrating. We drafted him to be "the guy" at WR. It's nice that he's a great decoy, but you don't draft someone 4th overall to be a decoy receiver. Moreover, at some point in the next year or two, he's gonna want his payday. Do we want to spend a ton of $ on a decoy? I don't. I want a guy racking up yards and TDs faster than drops taking up the cap space he's going to. We know what he can do, now we want to see him actually do it. Statistically speaking, he had a similar season to Julio Jones last year, so I wouldn't freak out too much. But I'm with you on wanting to see him turn his hands into gorilla glue. 

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

And I love Crabtree, he is one of my favorite players in the league. I have been on this board since 08 clamoring for him. Lol i remember arguing with BIg Palooka and BayArea07 saying he's too slow when he came out of TTech. But make no mistake, Crab benefits alot from having Coop on the other side of him. Crab woiuldn't get all the one on one looks he gets.

Does Crab have better hands than Coop? Yep. Does he have a better feel for the game and better rapport with Carr than Coop? Yep. But if you ask me who would I trust to get open against the Talibs, Chris Harris, Marcus Peters, Verretts of the world I would trust Coop. Crabtree has never been a guy who dominates when he faces top corners who can man up on him.

He is one of my favorites players at present and the go to guy for Carr when it's important.  Crabs got a really bad rap when with the Forty Ninnies.  I've asked friends about that but no one could provide specifics.  I mean he was in the news a lot back then.  So, what was that all about?  

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

not at all, all 3 years hes had drops.

his drop on the slant easily could have been a pick or a pick 6.

then he dropped the onside kick lol... unfortunately he shouldn't be on our hands team right now

Wrong! Last year he only had 3 drops and Crabtree was tops in the league in drops.

14 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Wait....what? I was a big Crabtree fan. He was my favorite to be selected. I've never been one to care about speed. I value technique and production which he had. And I was a fan of the signing when he came in as a FA. 

That said, would have been a failure drafting him in 2009 and putting him on those teams. He'd probably been similar to his 49ers era self.

Honestly I don't really care if Coop has dominate weeks or season. Teams are going to zero in on him and they're welcome to it, because if he's blanketed then Crabtree is going to feast. They cover Crabtree and Coop's going to feast and if by some miracle you can cover both there's Cook who'll get looks like he's Gronk. AND if you can cover him the Raiders got Roberts. And if you can cover him the Raiders will just run the football with Lynch. And if you can stop him then congratulations you successfully stopped the Raiders and must have some sort of unholy combination of legion of boom/2000 ravens defense. 

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Wrong! Last year he only had 3 drops and Crabtree was tops in the league in drops.

drops is a very subjective thing... week 1 cooper had 0 drops to according to some stats.

Crabtree also had a broken finger last season. 

I love coop, but his drops are frustrating. Don't know how a fan can say they arent. they kill drives. 

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I still find that very hard to believe that Cooper only had 3 drops ALL year last year. I feel like i can remember 3 slants alone..

but people also forget that Crabtree was battling a hand injury most of last year as well.. 

51 minutes ago, TheMadStork said:

I still find that very hard to believe that Cooper only had 3 drops ALL year last year. I feel like i can remember 3 slants alone..

but people also forget that Crabtree was battling a hand injury most of last year as well.. 

I knew at the time but I forgot about Crabs hand injury and the whole white glove madman thing. He was doing work even with the drops.

Archived