2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Me. You don’t sign a guy to the contract we did and not have him start. That’s ridiculous. If you think he’s going to be riding the pine when our starting 11 go out on the field I have beach front property in Nebraska I’ll sell ya.

Oh.

Question if the Virus wasn't going on do y'all think we would have landed Cooper.Just thinking if we could of got a visit would of had a face to face with Rivera,a likely tour of the place by former Bama team mates and the sit down Dinner with Dan.Could that had been enough with the more money offer to get him away from Home in Dallas?

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

Question if the Virus wasn't going on do y'all think we would have landed Cooper.Just thinking if we could of got a visit would of had a face to face with Rivera,a likely tour of the place by former Bama team mates and the sit down Dinner with Dan.Could that had been enough with the more money offer to get him away from Home in Dallas?

Maybe. But Is Cooper a guy you wanted to reset the WR market for?

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Maybe. But Is Cooper a guy you wanted to reset the WR market for?

I didn't want to make either guy amongst the highest and at their positions. Wanting them and wanting them at any cost are two different things. I applaud Ron & Kyle for not going Vinny Cerrato and just paying them an extra few million a year over 4 or 5 years and doubling the guaranteed $ just to ”win free agency.” 

We’re going to need that $ in coming years to retain our young DL, Terry and hopefully Haskins - if he keeps progressing - amongst others we’ve acquired & will in the future who hopefully break out in coming years.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I didn't want to make either guy amongst the highest and at their positions. Wanting them and wanting them at any cost are two different things. I applaud Ron & Kyle for not going Vinny Cerrato and just paying them an extra few million a year over 4 or 5 years and doubling the guaranteed $ just to ”win free agency.” 

We’re going to need that $ in coming years to retain our young DL, Terry and hopefully Haskins - if he keeps progressing - amongst others we’ve acquired & will who hopefully break out in coming years.

Exactly. I like the idea of Coop but we’re talking about the type of WR that in a loaded class like this you could get lucky. We got lucky last year in a loaded class. I honestly don’t care if we don’t draft a position of need as long as we get the best talent to infuse this roster after last year. The 3rd round could be a starter if it’s a WR or I believe you could Get a steal at TE. I think Troy Dye is avalible at 66. We could go LT if the few I actually think have pretty high floors for third round guys with some pretty high ceilings. But imagine a Wnfield Jr being there at 66. I know Chin won’t be. Lots of options. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Exactly. I like the idea of Coop but we’re talking about the type of WR that in a loaded class like this you could get lucky. We got lucky last year in a loaded class. I honestly don’t care if we don’t draft a position of need as long as we get the best talent to infuse this roster after last year. The 3rd round could be a starter if it’s a WR or I believe you could Get a steal at TE. I think Troy Dye is avalible at 66. We could go LT if the few I actually think have pretty high floors for third round guys with some pretty high ceilings. But imagine a Wnfield Jr being there at 66. I know Chin won’t be. Lots of options. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

No.  While Rivera was in Carolina, they only signed two FA's for over $20 million.  One was Matt Kalil who was a bust, and the other was Matt Paradis to replace him.  Whether or not Rivera had any say over that, I don't know, but even if he didn't, that is what he learned and it certainly influenced his decision.  I imagine they would still do their due diligence on Cooper, but ultimately wouldn't give that much guaranteed money away.  

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No.  While Rivera was in Carolina, they only signed two FA's for over $20 million.  One was Matt Kalil who was a bust, and the other was Matt Paradis to replace him.  Whether or not Rivera had any say over that, I don't know, but even if he didn't, that is what he learned and it certainly influenced his decision.  I imagine they would still do their due diligence on Cooper, but ultimately wouldn't give that much guaranteed money away.  

They did keep most of their own good to elite players that they drafted though for this entire decade.

And isn't that what we really should be focused on? Keeping inhouse drafted and  developed talent when they've earned a second contract?

That's a major, major gripe I had with Brice Allen/Dan & to a lesser extent Scot McCloughan even this past decade. They didn't do it as much as Vinny did but they still went out and  overpaid for Josh Norman - which totally disrupted the chemistry our secondary had built the second half of our division winning 2015 season.

So, they signed and kept Norman instead of re-signing Breeland, they didn't re-sign Kirk, which made them go and trade Fuller for Alex Smith & they gave him a huge new contract before he ever took a snap for the Redskins, they let Orakpo, Garcon & DJax in the same offseason, Preston Smith, Trent Murphy, Spencer Long and Jamison Crowder all walk in FA!

Now obviously, we couldn’t have kept all these guys but a handful of them we should have and we would have had a better team last year and currently if we had. We haven't drafted awful since 2014 - save the 1st two rounds of 2016 - but we haven't retained our drafted, homegrown developed talent and that's on top of Trent’s hold out & JReed’s concussion last year led us to 3-13.

If we just retain most of our drafted talent under Rivera then we should almost always be playoff contenders. 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If we could come out of this draft with those two guys I’d be elated. Niang actually gave Chase the business that game!!! Niang is going to be a really good player in this league but I don’t think we could get him with our natural pick in the 3rd. I think he goes round 2 he’s just a technical beast for a guy in college he has amazing hands and feet. Never gets outside his pads I like that guy. Easy scout as I’d like to say with his technique

51 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

If we could come out of this draft with those two guys I’d be elated. Niang actually gave Chase the business that game!!! Niang is going to be a really good player in this league but I don’t think we could get him with our natural pick in the 3rd. I think he goes round 2 he’s just a technical beast for a guy in college he has amazing hands and feet. Never gets outside his pads I like that guy. Easy scout as I’d like to say with his technique

I think I’d rather have Saadiq Charles but I’ll defer to @PARROTHEAD for that one