2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. But at this particular point (I'm assuming at this point we've frozen everything in place), it will have to be. If we sign some more people at a later point in FA, then my sentiment will change.

Well also when/if we trade Trent, or if he doesn’t show up, I’m sure that will trigger us signing a FA LT.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Pretty sure he wants top of the market at. I heard something $14M-$15M from JP Finlay. I would guess he could get $12M now, but could be in for a big payday if he plays well in 2020. 

JP Finlay is a reporter.  If he reported this, then you would be able to find it in writing.  And you can bet it would be linked to from national sites.  This is all unsubstantiated. 

5 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I am a big Cam Newton fan, but I absolutely don't want him here.  With everything going on, OTAs, training camp might already be abbreviated.  We need Haskins to get all the reps and attention so we can figure out if he is for real or not.  I might think differently if Rivera was taking a win now approach to free agency, but he is showing no urgency to win now, so why get a short term solution here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

This is what Trents trying to do- force his release if the price is right- I sign Cam 

They already have Haskins & they just traded for Kyle Allen. Before they traded for Allen I thought Cam was a far fetched possibility in a signing or trade, but I think it’s out the window now.

Good question!

he knows the offensive system. Haskins doesn’t. I hope Haskins is the real deal but last year didn’t prove that. 

If Cam does well- we keep him, if he doesn’t don’t we get a comp pick? 

I really don’t see a downside. If Haskins beats him out and does well- that’s great! If he doesn’t, he has time to learn from a pro mentor.

45 minutes ago, offbyone said:

JP Finlay is a reporter.  If he reported this, then you would be able to find it in writing.  And you can bet it would be linked to from national sites.  This is all unsubstantiated. 

It is true that Dunny wants a new deal. Now, whether his demands were as high as being amongst the top paid in the NFL I guess is debatable bc he himself nor his agent ever said so, but there has been information out there that he wanted a substantial raise and it’s been out there for over a month, you can chose to believe that or not.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Good question!

he knows the offensive system. Haskins doesn’t. I hope Haskins is the real deal but last year didn’t prove that. 

If Cam does well- we keep him, if he doesn’t don’t we get a comp pick? 

I really don’t see a downside. If Haskins beats him out and does well- that’s great! If he doesn’t, he has time to learn from a pro mentor.

The downside is what will happen to Haskins is what happened to him last year. He won’t get as many reps to be ready in his new offense. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

They already have Haskins & they just traded for Kyle Allen. Before they traded for Allen I thought Cam was a far fetched possibility in a signing or trade, but I think it’s out the window now.

Allen is depth

Cam is a former pro bowler recovering from injury

Haskins is a very inexperienced QB 

if I was coaching, no way I give Haskins the keys To my future until I see who he is, how he prepares, how he performs etc . Now if Haskins is as good as a number here think he is- what’s the worry- he beats Cam and Allen our for the starting job. 

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The downside is what will happen to Haskins is what happened to him last year. He won’t get as many reps to be ready in his new offense. 

Maybe- but we didn’t have real practices under Gruden. Players and fans will see a huge difference under Rivera. He’s old school. Full pads and less nipple twisting 

6 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Maybe- but we didn’t have real practices under Gruden. Players and fans will see a huge difference under Rivera. He’s old school. Full pads and less nipple twisting 

Which means nothing for the QB and reps/how they are divided up.

Edited by turtle28

Why don't I ever see any other teams looking to start QB controversy but US. Alot of Fans who post here really don't support Redskins QB's like other teams. Even as a Fan who didn't Trust Cousin's long-term or in Must Win situations, I would've just traded him oppose to bring in another guy causing Team Drama.

How would signing Cam not be full of Bad Drama? If Rivera wants Cam he needs to trade Haskins! Cam isn't Alex Smith looking to help bring Haskins/or a Mahomes along. He's looking to prove he's still that MVP or something close to that. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Why don't I ever see any other teams looking to start QB controversy but US. Alot of Fans who post here really don't support Redskins QB's like other teams. Even as a Fan who didn't Trust Cousin's long-term or in Must Win situations, I would've just traded him oppose to bring in another guy causing Team Drama.

How would signing Cam not be full of Bad Drama? If Rivera wants Cam he needs to trade Haskins! Cam isn't Alex Smith looking to help bring Haskins/or a Mahomes along. He's looking to prove he's still that MVP or something close to that. 

Bingo. 

And trust me. I have to mod this forum if this comes to pass. And it won't be pretty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

We aren’t as invested in other teams as we are the Redskins, so we don’t really pay attention to those teams QB controversies.

Since Joe Theisman broke his leg in 1985 the Redskins have rarely had a QB start two years in a row and play like a good starting QB the entire year - really, Cousins might be the only one - so since we haven’t had QB consistency in 35 years - except from 2015-2017 - we constantly have QB controversies. 

It has more to do with the talent that we aren’t acquiring and developing or keeping at the position rather then anything else.

A lot of teams have QB controversies almost every year and they too are almost always one of the worst teams in the league.

Edited by turtle28