2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

I’m liking the Stealth Tanking for Trevor ideas!

What’s so wrong with a new coach coming in, not foolishly spending, taking his time to work with his new team and get an accurate assessment of their strengths and weaknesses. Watching game film is one thing but getting a total picture of the player, what schemes he can work best in, work ethic, untapped talent- he probably hasn’t even had a chance to meet all the team yet.

i too was surprised about Bradberry and Olsen, but it takes two to tango  We sucked last year and nothing we’ve done makes me believe we will be worse this year. I’m ok with this being a honeymoon season- if we have the season at all, and will take any brothers bet and money who believes we will  have a worse record than last year. :)

Patience this year to let the tear down be completed. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

What’s so wrong with a new coach coming in, not foolishly spending, taking his time to work with his new team and get an accurate assessment of their strengths and weaknesses. Watching game film is one thing but getting a total picture of the player, what schemes he can work best in, work ethic, untapped talent- he probably hasn’t even had a chance to meet all the team yet.

i too was surprised about Bradberry and Olsen, but it takes two to tango  We sucked last year and nothing we’ve done makes me believe we will be worse this year. I’m ok with this being a honeymoon season- if we have the season at all, and will take any brothers bet and money who believes we will  have a worse record than last year. :)

You lose Trent Williams and Flowers that is hard to say. You have to give Haskins better protection. Watch the Panthers game last year. Their Dline has a feast on our Oline and that's not the only game that happens. 

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

There's nothing wrong with this. It's exactly what you'd expect a new coach to do.

But the thing is, there are certain positions (TE and FS being the chief among them, although I personally would also include MLB) where a blind man could have seen in mere moments that there is no realistic answer on the roster. Those are massive, gaping black holes, and there's absolutely no need to take a lot of time or get in the trenches in order to figure that out.

So if you know you're absolutely going to have to address those positions -- and you also know that you're going to follow the patient strategy you outlined above with regard to the positions (like WR, LB, OG, etc.) where you have some potential keepers you want to try to work with and develop -- why wouldn't you be even more aggressive in trying to fill those unquestionable holes? You've got tons of cap space, and you're not intending to use it to fill all the holes (like WR, LB, OG, etc.), so you could splurge at those absolutely empty positions to try to get a real answer.

And instead of going hard to bring on a duo of Hooper at TE and Boston/Randall at FS, guys that could be long-term answers, they went after half-measures. We got a couple camp fodder TEs in Logan Thomas and Richard Rodgers to compete with Sprinkle and Hentges, and we got a one-year reclamation project in Sean Davis at FS. Why go so weak at those spots? There's no one on the roster to evaluate, there's no one to try to develop, there's no amount of evaluation or patience or in-person meetings that is going to turn those lumps of coal into diamonds.

I think that's what bugs people. Wait around to see what Sims/Harmon,Guice/Love, Wes Martin, Cole Holcomb, SDH, etc. turn into? That's cool. Maybe we've got some foundation pieces in that group. But the cupboard is bare at TE and FS, and instead of paying market price for a couple filling meals, they decided to stock it with a couple off-brand granola bars and a half-eaten bag of chips.

• Like 1

Keim and Standig reporting that they were interested in Jason Peters but looks like it won’t happen. Both suggesting that they may actually go with Christian and Lucas at LT.

If that’s the case, Rivera should have personnel duties removed immediately following the draft. And be fired as HC if he doesn’t like that. 

This is the first time I’ve ever thought it was more than a passing chance that they’ll trade down. They can’t go into a season with no LT. 

Edited by e16bball

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Keim and Standig reporting that they were interested in Jason Peters but looks like it won’t happen. Both suggesting that they may actually go with Christian and Lucas at LT.

That's just ridiculous. I know it's barely been the offseason so far, but Rivera and Smith are struggling to get a passing grade right now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If that’s the case, Rivera should have personnel duties removed immediately following the draft. And be fired as HC if he doesn’t like that. 

This is the first time I’ve ever thought it was more than a passing chance that they’ll trade down. They can’t go into a season with no LT. 

If they’re forced to pass on Chase Young because of their approach to free agency my confidence in this new regime will be shot from the get-go. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they’re forced to pass on Chase Young because of their approach to free agency my confidence in this new regime will be shot from the get-go. 

This FA period actually makes me much more confident they'll draft Young at #2.

I think it's clear they know this team won't be competitive in 2020, so they're only willing to be aggressive spending big money in FA if it's on a stud that will be a significant contributor 2-3 years from now.  It's why they went so hard after Cooper, but have been meh on almost every other "big name".  It's also why they made Fuller one of the highest paid slot CBs in the league.  He played at that level the last time he was on our roster.  

Most of these other guys (Hooper, Littleton, Jones, Bradberry) are not truly top players at their positions, so they haven't been willing to overpay for them. 

Young is the best player in this draft and is the elite anchor on defense they'll want to build around; based on their approach to FA, I don't see them passing on a player of his caliber in order to fill needs with lesser talent.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This FA period actually makes me much more confident they'll draft Young at #2.

I think it's clear they know this team won't be competitive in 2020, so they're only willing to be aggressive spending big money in FA if it's on a stud that will be a significant contributor 2-3 years from now.  It's why they went so hard after Cooper, but have been meh on almost every other "big name".  It's also why they made Fuller one of the highest paid slot CBs in the league.  He played at that level the last time he was on our roster.  

Most of these other guys (Hooper, Littleton, Jones, Bradberry) are not truly top players at their positions, so they haven't been willing to overpay for them. 

Young is the best player in this draft and is the elite anchor on defense they'll want to build around; based on their approach to FA, I don't see them passing on a player of his caliber in order to fill needs with lesser talent.

I think you’re giving them way too much credit.

Cooper is a bona fide star. Casual fans know him, if for no other reason than from the times he’s flayed us while with the Cowboys, and would be excited about getting him. They were willing to overpay him because of the positive buzz such an exciting, high-profile addition would create with our fans. Kendall Fuller was a popular player here, no one ever wanted him to leave, and everyone (himself included apparently) wished he could come back. That’s why they overpaid him, because the narrative and the familiarity would create goodwill and positivity with the fans. 

Hooper, Littleton, Schobert, A. Harris, Bradberry, Conklin, etc. all fit the exact same profile as Kendall Fuller, at least, in terms of age and playing ability. They’re basically all players at positions of major need (possible exception of Conklin) — they all would have made this team much better and theoretically would have been long-term starters. But they didn’t have the cachet and name recognition with Redskins fans compared to someone like Fuller, and that’s the reason the team splashed the market for him and let the rest find homes elsewhere. 

In other words, I think the impetus and authorization to pay big for Cooper and Fuller came from above Ron and Kyle. From a little guy with a big ego and a background in marketing.

All of that said, that does probably point to Chase Young as the pick. He’s the most popular option, he’s the likely superstar, he’s universally considered a star in the making, and hearing his name will make lots and lots of Redskins fans very excited. Something tells me that same little man upstairs will push that option — even if I think the dynamic duo might be angling for a trade down. 

Edited by e16bball

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

It's the NFL.  Parity is tight.  Teams success and failure flips quickly.  You don't wait a season. 

Can you think of another example of other coaches who sat on their hands like this when given the reigns of a new team and then turned it into long term success?  I can't.  It would be different if we had no cap space.  But we got lots.  

16 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

History says that won't happen with teams changing defensive systems.  At the very least, I just want to be middle of the pack as far as third down percentage goes.  

But most Redskins fans have said all we need to do since 2010 was switch back to the 4-3 and we’d have a good defense again. So, it’s going to be automatic!

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But most Redskins fans have said all we need to do since 2010 was switch back to the 4-3 and we’d have a good defense again. So, it’s going to be automatic!

If it were up to you we’d have Haslett and Joe Barry teaming up to lead a Will Compton/Reed Doughty 3-4 defense. 

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think I was lumped in together with you as not a real fan because we trashed that trade.

I am not trashing anyone, just pointing out what has been pretty obvious as to how Lavar has reacted to every single thing the team has done since free agency started. 

As I said, I understand being upset, but his reactions seem over the top to me and it’s in every thread. 

Saying players suck or are trash when it’s not true, any other log on the fire he can throw around to blow up a thread. It’s overkill.

I’m not happy that they didn’t sign Hooper, Littleton & a few other players I wanted too but there’s a difference between being upset and moving on and clearly not being able to accept what has happened and move on.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

If it were up to you we’d have Haslett and Joe Barry teaming up to lead a Will Compton/Reed Doughty 3-4 defense. 

Well to be fair, Haslett was the best defensive coordinator we had all last decade. Shanahan & Allen gave him below average talent to work with except for 2011 when our D was I think 12th or 13th overall.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well to be fair, Haslett was the best defensive coordinator we had all last decade. Shanahan & Allen gave him below average talent to work with except for 2011 when our D was I think 12th or 13th overall.

Oh my lord