News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

On 4/30/2020 at 7:17 PM, cromagnum said:

Taco Charlton released today. Too think Cowboys should have had Watt but no Jerry listens to Rod Marinelli instead who was higher on there board. Same thing with Thornhill. Hopefully this doesn’t happen anymore with Mcarthy there.

Why when it's a terrible pick is it always Jerry, but when it's a great pick its Will Mcclay and/or Stephen Jones?  If as a VP you stray from your board because the d coordinator tells you too, you dont deserve the job.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Why when it's a terrible pick is it always Jerry, but when it's a great pick its Will Mcclay and/or Stephen Jones?  If as a VP you stray from your board because the d coordinator tells you too, you dont deserve the job.

There are multiple clear cases where the front office has abandoned the board because of the impassioned argument of someone on the coaching staff. And it tends to be that our worst picks have come when that happens, which is why people place blame this way.

That said, in this instance, I get the impression that Taco had a lot of fans, including Will McClay.

3 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

In the end the choice is made by Jerry but I do get your point. It was a bad pick it happens but for the part the Cowboys have drafted well for the last decade thanks to Stephen Jones and Will Mclay influence. They could have had a coke head alchy as there QB if not for Stephen talking some sense to Jerry. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

There are multiple clear cases where the front office has abandoned the board because of the impassioned argument of someone on the coaching staff. And it tends to be that our worst picks have come when that happens, which is why people place blame this way.

That said, in this instance, I get the impression that Taco had a lot of fans, including Will McClay.

McClay's basically said it was his pick. But, that doesn't fit the narrative. 

47 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Good leaders shoulder the blame when things go wrong, too.

It’s hard to know, exactly. But I agree that Trysten Hill was probably a far more egregious case.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, CAPJ said:

Dalton available. If he isnt all in for NE, we should be all over him for a backup to Dak.

I would love for this team to put some emphasis on the backup QB position again. Dalton would be a great pickup and will give Dallas some leverage to go into the season with a quality QB if Dak continues to holdout. Cooper Rush scares no one.  

Edited by Tony7188
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I would love for this team to put some emphasis on the backup QB position again. Dalton would be a great pickup and will give Dallas some leverage to go into the season with a quality QB if Dak continues to holdout. Cooper Rush scares no one.  

lol it would not give Dallas any leverage. 

"Oh no, you have the red-headed step-child?! Fine, I will sign a deal less than max."

12 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

lol it would not give Dallas any leverage. 

"Oh no, you have the red-headed step-child?! Fine, I will sign a deal less than max."

Dalton has been decent throughout his career. Not to mention, he would have more talent around him than ever before

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

McClay did say it was his pick. I just think he was used wrong here, and he didn't have the best attitude. You seen the difference on the Dolphins he played pretty well

Taco has a tude problem. He is 6’6” 270 with long arms and a nasty little spin move for his size. He also makes sure to punish QBs with vicious hits when he gets home.

When his head is right and he gets on the field he usually produces. Even here in Dallas. I think the week before he was released he had 2 sacks, a forced fumble and a recovery.

Taco has 1st round talent physically but both the dolphins and cowboys have reported trouble in his coachability. I don’t think our scouts missed on his talent but they obviously didn’t put enough work into his character.

As for Trysten Hill there isn’t much to say other than the fact that he is 1 full year, 3 month’s, and 8 days younger than rookie DT Neville Gallimore. Perhaps that needs taken into consideration when evaluating him. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't see how what you said has anything to do with what I said. 

You think Andy Dalton is bad QB who provides no leverage. He think Andy Dalton is decent QB who does provide leverage 

5 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You honestly think if we sign Dalton, Dak loses leverage? 

I don’t think Dak holds out, but if he does I would rather Dalton to be captain of this luxury yacht of a roster, over Rush.

I honestly think it would be dumb for Dak to let another QB have a chance to move the ball with this offense. But he might be willing to take that chance if Rush is QB2

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1