Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

29 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yep. Going off the age group of this board, but when old heads talk about how much better music was when they were younger are completely ignoring the awful to generic trends like , Stadium Rock Era,  Nu-Metal, Emo-Scene Era, Bling Era Rap, Brit Invasion 2.0, etc. All had the same issues and annoying qualities people complain about with contemporary mainstream music. 

nu-metal aint dead FYI, its comeback is quite real.  Vein's Errorzone opens up with a riff straight off of Slipknot's self titled.  post hardcore is big in the UK as well.  japanese legends envy just released an album that is highly critically praised.  

46 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agree here.  Hemingway was far from verbose.  One long sentence doesn't a point make.  Faulkner had a seven page sentence in The Sound and the Fury, and Joyce had a single sentence as the last chapter of Ulysses, and those are two of Hemingway's biggest contemporaries.

If you think Hemingway is verbose, you probably just think all literature is verbose.  Hemingway was about as concise as it gets outside of Poe.  His whole school of lit theory is about cutting as much from a narrative as you can.

i mean faulkner has his detractions too.. i did like how he juxtaposed the different characters in each character in sound and the fury but i find him hard to read as does most others.  a rose for emily was p good from what i remember.  

in general i think writing is pretty hard and a lot of good novels completely fall apart at the end.  a brief history of seven killings and the sympathizer were modern books who i think met this fate.  i think Ngyuen is a beautiful writer.  i also think orwell and burroughs are great writers stylistically, although ive only read junkie.  probably will only read junkie cause i heard the dude was p bad guy

31 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yep. Going off the age group of this board, but when old heads talk about how much better music was when they were younger are completely ignoring the awful to generic trends like , Stadium Rock Era,  Nu-Metal, Emo-Scene Era, Bling Era Rap, Brit Invasion 2.0, etc. All had the same issues and annoying qualities people complain about with contemporary mainstream music. 

I mostly listen to older music.  Zeppelin is my favorite band ever, and as a big prog rock fan, the late 60s and early 70s were a gold mine.  But even taking that into account, the biggest hits the year after Zep IV was released were American Pie (corny *** song), Without You by Harry Nilsson (forgettable ballad pop song I just looked up), and Popcorn by Hot Butter (which sounds like it was made by a kid on a cassio).  And then there was disco.  Mostly trash.  Time just does the sifting for us.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I mostly listen to older music.  Zeppelin is my favorite band ever, and as a big prog rock fan, the late 60s and early 70s were a gold mine.  But even taking that into account, the biggest hits the year after Zep IV was released were American Pie (corny *** song), Without You by Harry Nilsson (forgettable ballad pop song I just looked up), and Popcorn by Hot Butter (which sounds like it was made by a kid on a cassio).  And then there was disco.  Mostly trash.  Time just does the sifting for us.

unpopular opinion
zep is bad

11 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

If I never heard Arcade Fire again, my quality of life would improve. I don't like there sound, and that sound spawned copycats.

Suburbs and Reflector are dope albums. 

But I do agree with spawning copycats

To further opinions about indie music right now, this Folk Revival thing going on in Indie right now is awful. Bunch of Bob Dylan cosplayers in big hats. Looking at you BIG THIEF of my time. 

Also, why the heck did every female vocalist in 2019 try to sound like Stevie Nicks. I cant be the only one that noticed this. 

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, dad rock dudes about to be livid, but bands like Van Halen and Ed Shereen have a lot in common. 

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

To further opinions about indie music right now, this Folk Revival thing going on in Indie right now is awful. Bunch of Bob Dylan cosplayers in big hats. Looking at you BIG THIEF of my time. 

I can't get into Big Thief or Sandy Alex G at all and I'm giving it my best effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Suburbs and Reflector are dope albums. 

But I do agree with spawning copycats

Also, why the heck did every female vocalist in 2019 try to sound like Stevie Nicks. I cant be the only one that noticed this. 

is this still going on? i know it was big like 5 years ago
tbh the thing im noticing thats huge these days is the post punk/new wave revival

20 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disagree. I feel like his movies manage to go so quick for being so long.

Never saw either. 

Yeah. 

I don’t even think that’s debatable. Truthiness being spoken. 

Easily. 

Agree! I don’t see the fascination. Would I bang the crap out of her? For sure. But she’s an afterthought on my “bangable” list. She seems to be in everyone else’s top 5 at least. 

✊🏼💯