Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

That’s even more nonsensical.  We ALWAYS know it’s the actor we’re watching.  Ppl have said the same about countless actors who are excellent as well.  I’d imagine there are a few that you like and consider to be good actors. You just don’t like Shia for whatever reason. 

I loved Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and enjoyed watching Brad Pitt’s character.  But it wasn’t exactly him stretching his chops into an impressive performance.  You might say he was being Brad.   Shia’s performance in Honey Boy posterized Pitt’s.  You said you’ve only seen 2 of those films so you’re not exactly in a position to call his recent performances overrated. But hey it’s never stopped any of us on this board.  LoL

I don't consider those good acting performances when they can't step out of their own character. Jack Nicholsen is great at playing Jack. Denzel is great at playing Denzel. But I don't consider As Good as it gets or Training Day great acting performances. They're just not. So no I don't consider Shia a great actor when the only characters he plays is a happy Shia, or angry Shia, or scared Shia.

27 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't consider those good acting performances when they can't step out of their own character. Jack Nicholsen is great at playing Jack. Denzel is great at playing Denzel. But I don't consider As Good as it gets or Training Day great acting performances. They're just not. So no I don't consider Shia a great actor when the only characters he plays is a happy Shia, or angry Shia, or scared Shia.

Do you feel like Denzel was playing Denzel in The Hurricane?

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

- The original Terminator is a terrible movie in all aspects
- The 80's overall was a terrible era for film and 95% of the "classics" from the era are vastly overrated
- If a non-comedy movie isn't at least 105 minutes long before the credits hit, it's likely to be a bad movie.
- The Star Wars franchise sucks through and through. It's a franchise better off being left to books.
- The last great comedy movie was Wedding Crashers. It's been nothing but crap since. I put a lot of value in re-watchability and 95% of comedies suck in this regard.
- Sports movies are ALWAYS terrible movies due to the lack of realism in regard to the sport the movie is based on. As a sports fan, I just can't get past this lol.
- Psych was not a good TV show nor was it funny. USA network is the worst TV network as far as production value goes. All of their shows suck due to this.

I probably have a lot more but I can't come to think of them right now.

mr robot says what?

On 2/14/2020 at 12:31 PM, Daniel said:

I forgot to post my actual unpopular opinions instead of just arguing with others.

Kanye hasn't done anything good since 2010.

The Rolling Stones are overrated.

Nas, Tupac, and Biggie are all super overrated.

Soundgarden was the best grunge band.

Beloved doesn't belong in the discussion for all time great books.

Cormac McCarthy is greatest American writer of the last 50 years, Salman Rushdie is the greatest writer of the last 50 years.

Probably not that unpopular really, but The Last Jedi was worse than Attack of the Clones.

whaaaaaa
the road was good, but his dialogue style is atrocious.  the road only succeeds cause theres two characters for the majority of the novel
give me a person like hubert selby who doesnt know any of the rules and tells great stories instead of a guy who knows all the rules and breaks them solely to make his **** unreadable

i dont think saying soundgarden was the best grunge band is all that unpopular tbh

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

- The original Terminator is a terrible movie in all aspects
- The 80's overall was a terrible era for film and 95% of the "classics" from the era are vastly overrated
- If a non-comedy movie isn't at least 105 minutes long before the credits hit, it's likely to be a bad movie.
- The Star Wars franchise sucks through and through. It's a franchise better off being left to books.
- The last great comedy movie was Wedding Crashers. It's been nothing but crap since. I put a lot of value in re-watchability and 95% of comedies suck in this regard.
- Sports movies are ALWAYS terrible movies due to the lack of realism in regard to the sport the movie is based on. As a sports fan, I just can't get past this lol.
- Psych was not a good TV show nor was it funny. USA network is the worst TV network as far as production value goes. All of their shows suck due to this.

I probably have a lot more but I can't come to think of them right now.

warrior with tom hardy was also p good.  rocky, creed i thought were p good. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:52 PM, animaltested said:

Blood Meridian was an absolute slog to get through. 

The Consular movie was pretty blah, and a chore to sit through. Worst aspect was the plot and dialogue. Not exactly reflecting well on Mr McCormac. 

finally a man with some sense

although i guess the original take is p unpopular then

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

warrior with tom hardy was also p good.  rocky, creed i thought were p good. 

Good movies but terrible sports depictions. The lack of realism in the fight sequences is what kills me. No referee is going to let someone take unanswered bomb after bomb after bomb like you see in the Rocky/Creed movies and the MMA depiction in Warrior kinda sucked. I dunno. The sports sequences typically ruin those movies for me.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kingsman was a stupid movie that was genuine trash.

Fast And Furious 1, 2, 4-7 are all really really really good movies.

Avatar The Last Air Bender is super overrated.

Dafoe as Green Goblin >>> Ledger as Joker. 

Halt and Catch Fire was maybe the best show of the last decade

A Marriage Story should have won Best Picture. 

aptly named thread in all these cases (except air bender bc i never seen it)

kudos

Edited by Malfatron