Chiefs to franchise tag Chris Jones

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Can they pay Jones + the corners?

I think most assume the corners are gone. One of them, at minimum. Unless there's not much market for some reason. But I fully expect Breeland and Fuller to get contracts larger than they should on the open market due to how each played during the playoff run.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, coachbuns said:

It doesn't take long for salary cap issues to start affecting a team.  It's just beginning for the Chiefs now and will only get worse.  That's just how the NFL salary cap cycle works.

Yep.  Plus, they are going to need to back up a Brinks truck when they pay Mahomes. That's when things get really interesting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yep.  Plus, they are going to need to back up a Brinks truck when they pay Mahomes. That's when things get really interesting.

Pretty much every team in the league that's been in the "have to pay mode" for their QB's big contract loses a bunch of quality players.  Can't pay everyone and maybe even worse, doesn't have the resources to replace them except with draft picks which often don't pan out and lower level players.  That's just life in the NFL but the Chiefs managed to win a Super Bowl with Mahomes and his cheap contract.  Once they have to pay him ... window will be closed.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jakuvious said:

Still paying Eric Berry $8M this year. Dorsey got us a lot of talent but he structured contracts so miserably and extended some guys in really poor ways and/or at really poor times. So much money paid to guys not playing or not on roster. Our cap situation looks so much better in a year in part because that's when we finally get done paying dead money on the old Dorsey contracts.

I still blame Houston and Berry’s deals on Hunt..  fans were whining and Hunt flew into KC to make sure both deals got done.      Hali and LDT deals were imo the 2 deals I’d say, were Dorsey’s worst.  

53 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I still blame Houston and Berry’s deals on Hunt..  fans were whining and Hunt flew into KC to make sure both deals got done.      Hali and LDT deals were imo the 2 deals I’d say, were Dorsey’s worst.  

Those deals were just bad luck. There was no way of knowing that Houston would be injured that same year and that Berry would get cancer.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I tried but I just can’t let this opportunity pass. Thanks Joe Flacco. 

• Like 2