Becton at #2?

Suffering_Bills

Concern has been mentioned about Becton's technique and untapped potential, but I haven't seen his poor pass-protection mentioned specifically. From PFF:

"Louisville’s offense this past season was extremely run and play action heavy. Among PFF’s top five tackles, Becton’s 73 true pass sets were 40 fewer than anyone else. On the flip side, his 8 pressures allowed though on those true pass sets were the most."

That has to be incredibly concerning, especially when players with vastly better tape and strong combine performances are still on the board.

If we take Becton over Young at 2 I’d probably turn in my fan card. Redskins fans are on edge as it is, taking maybe the third or fourth best OT prospect with the second pick in the draft would be disastrous. This is just dumb. 

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 7:01 AM, sammymvpknight said:

Didn’t think that Jawaan Taylor last year. It’s realistic. 

Taylor carried an injury red flag that didn't get a ton of publicity until late Day 1 of the draft.  Not exactly the best apples to apples comparison to support your position.

50 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Taylor carried an injury red flag that didn't get a ton of publicity until late Day 1 of the draft.  Not exactly the best apples to apples comparison to support your position.

So players don’t fall...on a yearly basis? Of course they do. #24 isn’t late. Someone who isn’t expected to be there at #24 will be there. It happens on a yearly basis because for one reason or another the draftniks are wrong. 

14 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Concern has been mentioned about Becton's technique and untapped potential, but I haven't seen his poor pass-protection mentioned specifically. From PFF:

"Louisville’s offense this past season was extremely run and play action heavy. Among PFF’s top five tackles, Becton’s 73 true pass sets were 40 fewer than anyone else. On the flip side, his 8 pressures allowed though on those true pass sets were the most."

That has to be incredibly concerning, especially when players with vastly better tape and strong combine performances are still on the board.

I mean, you're drafting largely for the tools.  You're essentially gambling that your OL coach is going to correct those issues.  But you're not going to find very many 6'7", 364 guys who move as well as he does.

16 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So players don’t fall...on a yearly basis? Of course they do. #24 isn’t late. Someone who isn’t expected to be there at #24 will be there. It happens on a yearly basis because for one reason or another the draftniks are wrong. 

Yes.  Players fall on a yearly basis.  They also, more often than not, fall for a reason, not just because "teams are stupid or reactionary."  That doesn't change the fact that Jawaan Taylor was a poor example to give, because he fell for a very specific reason: Because he was medically red-flagged by a number of teams.  Now, it's certainly possible that one of the Top 4 OT's get medically red-flagged between now and the draft, but it's also just as, if not more, possible that all 4 go in the Top 20, given that OT is a premium position and just about every time we've seen a strong OT class they tend to go earlier than not (most often because runs tend to synthesize demand out of fear of growing scarcity, which tend to inspire reaches).  Your example that you're clinging to, RR, was in a relatively shallow OT class.

The last time there was an OT class remotely this deep 4 guys (even including Tunsil's last minute gas mask induced fall) still went in the Top 16.  In fact, historically more times than not, the Top 4 OT's are off the board inside the Top 20 (+/- 1 pick).

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, you're drafting largely for the tools.  You're essentially gambling that your OL coach is going to correct those issues.  But you're not going to find very many 6'7", 364 guys who move as well as he does.

Exactly. You're gambling on a massive, raw prospect with elite athleticism and poor technique with a top pick, when vastly better football players are available. I'm not a fan of gambling with top picks.

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Exactly. You're gambling on a massive, raw prospect with elite athleticism and poor technique with a top pick, when vastly better football players are available. I'm not a fan of gambling with top picks.

I mean, after you get past Andrew Thomas, Tristan Wirfs, and Jedrick Willis, is there an OT that has the combination of upside and floor?

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yes.  Players fall on a yearly basis.  They also, more often than not, fall for a reason, not just because "teams are stupid or reactionary."  That doesn't change the fact that Jawaan Taylor was a poor example to give, because he fell for a very specific reason: Because he was medically red-flagged by a number of teams.  Now, it's certainly possible that one of the Top 4 OT's get medically red-flagged between now and the draft, but it's also just as, if not more, possible that all 4 go in the Top 20, given that OT is a premium position and just about every time we've seen a strong OT class they tend to go earlier than not (most often because runs tend to synthesize demand out of fear of growing scarcity, which tend to inspire reaches).  Your example that you're clinging to, RR, was in a relatively shallow OT class.

The last time there was an OT class remotely this deep 4 guys (even including Tunsil's last minute gas mask induced fall) still went in the Top 16.  In fact, historically more times than not, the Top 4 OT's are off the board inside the Top 20 (+/- 1 pick).

Of course people fall for specific reasons. But it doesn’t mean those players who fall will be trash. 

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, after you get past Andrew Thomas, Tristan Wirfs, and Jedrick Willis, is there an OT that has the combination of upside and floor?

Exactly. That's why I wouldn't be taking Becton at #2, or in the top 5, or even in the top 10.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway