NFL/XFL/CFB and COVID-19

brushmyhair

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

We should care because A) we're human beings with empathy and preventing a pandemic before it causes massive, PREVENTABLE deaths is something we should be willing to sacrifice ******* entertainment products for. And B) Because the health care system in the US is already at 65-70% occupancy at any given moment of any given day, and a pandemic that brings it to 100% occupancy does more than just hurt people who get COVID, you get people dying of other manageable, preventable diseases because doctors literally cannot find a bed to sit them on to see them.

100000%. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also the Draft's "event" element is obviously not going to happen, it'll be like it used to be, the teams come up to the podium, make the pick, and we move to the next one in silence. Idek if team officials will be there, I'd honestly just make it a digital event.

They should just have live cameras outside like every war room and the teams gm can go live to announce their own picks. Don't need to have any sort of event for it at all. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also the Draft's "event" element is obviously not going to happen, it'll be like it used to be, the teams come up to the podium, make the pick, and we move to the next one in silence. Idek if team officials will be there, I'd honestly just make it a digital event.

I'm not sure if I'm onboard with all-digital because it just increases the likelihood of more of those awful "live reveal from a team-specific location" picks.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

They should just have live cameras outside like every war room and the teams gm can go live to announce their own picks. Don't need to have any sort of event for it at all. 

I realize this clearly doesn't help the "avoid crowding a bunch of people in one place" idea, but I'd be in favor of just throwing all the prospects in one area and having a giant claw machine used to literally "pick" them out.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I realize this clearly doesn't help the "avoid crowding a bunch of people in one place" idea, but I'd be in favor of just throwing all the prospects in one area and having a giant claw machine used to literally "pick" them out.  

I am in favor of the claw.

35 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s a sensitive walking line because I have no business telling you what to do with your life. But the point is, going to a big event like the draft, probability of you getting infected is high. You won’t know if you get infected for 6-24 days, therefore you will infect several elderly, probably killing some. I view it as insensitive, but I’m in no way taking a shot at you, just my opinion overall on the situation. 

Odds the draft happening with fans are like 5% anyways. 

Okay you've said this multiple times now and it's flat out false, numerous health officials including the CDC and WHO have said that while the virus has a fairly long incubation period they currently believe that it is NOT transmittable until you start showing symptoms... So while yes it's entirely possible you may just think you have a cold or the flu in all likelihood you will know you're sick by the time you can pass it to others.

12 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Okay you've said this multiple times now and it's flat out false, numerous health officials including the CDC and WHO have said that while the virus has a fairly long incubation period they currently believe that it is NOT transmittable until you start showing symptoms... So while yes it's entirely possible you may just think you have a cold or the flu in all likelihood you will know you're sick by the time you can pass it to others.

As much as in can't believe I'm about to defend @BayRaider, you're 100% wrong Rob.  You can most certainly pass it on before you show symptoms.  

Edit:. The incubation period has been down to be around 4 days.  Meaning it's inside you paying asking to others for around 4 days before you show signs.  

Edited by Totty
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

This is 100% False. 1000000%. 100000000000000000%. Do NOT spread misinformation like this. Any Lab working on Corona will tell you otherwise, not this News/Media BS. 

My brothers lab is working 24/7 on Coronavirus in San Diego. They developed a vaccine in three hours (nothing special, every state and 100+ labs nationwide have developed a vaccine, but it requires months of trials). Everyone in that lab, 35+ year biologists, say it’s spreadable during incubation. Highly.

Sorry for sounding like a d*** but it’a crucial false information like this doesn’t get spread. 

Harvard themselves say it spreads during incubation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Cite your source, please.

This is straight from the CDC website:

Can someone spread the virus without being sick?

• People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

Big different between "they believe it is NOT transmittable until you start showing symptoms" and "people are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic"/"some spread may be possible before people show symptoms."

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is 100% False. 1000000%. 100000000000000000%. Do NOT spread misinformation like this. Any Lab working on Corona will tell you otherwise, not this News/Media BS. 

My brothers lab is working 24/7 on Coronavirus in San Diego. They developed a vaccine in three hours (nothing special, every state and 100+ labs nationwide have developed a vaccine, but it requires months of trials). Everyone in that lab, 35+ year biologists, say it’s spreadable during incubation. Highly.

Sorry for sounding like a d*** but it’a crucial false information like this doesn’t get spread. 

Harvard themselves say it spreads during incubation. 

17 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Cite your source, please.

This is straight from the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

Big different between "they believe it is NOT transmittable until you start showing symptoms" and "people are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic"/"some spread may be possible before people show symptoms."

Yeah that's my bad, I was half asleep the first time I read through that and must have missed the word main in that list bit and thought it just said "this is not thought to be the way the virus spreads". 

• Like 1