Giants to tag Leonard Williams

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Zero pass-rush, don't know why you would do it...

Real simple. Because if Dave Gettleman doesn't he looks like a total A-- for the already stupid trade he made. This move is more about his ego rather

then swallowing his pride and letting him walk 

Edited by Giants4eva
  • Like 4

Important to note that the conditional pick the Giants send to the Jets is only a 2021 4th if they Giants resign him by Wednesday. Tagging him and resigning him after Wednesday will result in the pick being a 2021 5th.

The Giants highest paid player on defense right now is Dexter Lawrence, who is on the 2nd year of his rookie deal as the 17th overall pick. They need to pump a lot of money and talent into the defense. I don't blame them for attempting to keep Leonard Williams. 

Just now, minutemancl said:

Important to note that the conditional pick the Giants send to the Jets is only a 2021 4th if they Giants resign him by Wednesday. Tagging him and resigning him after Wednesday will result in the pick being a 2021 5th.

The Giants highest paid player on defense right now is Dexter Lawrence, who is on the 2nd year of his rookie deal as the 17th overall pick. They need to pump a lot of money and talent into the defense. I don't blame them for attempting to keep Leonard Williams. 

Overpaying an underachiever doesn’t pump talent into their defense though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Zero pass-rush, don't know why you would do it...

He actually generates a decent amount of pass rush; he just never turns his pressures into actual sacks. Sometimes that's just a matter of luck and varies year to year for players, but Williams has made a career out of generating a lot of pressure and low sack numbers. It's definitely not ideal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He actually generates a decent amount of pass rush; he just never turns his pressures into actual sacks. Sometimes that's just a matter of luck and varies year to year for players, but Williams has made a career out of generating a lot of pressure and low sack numbers. It's definitely not ideal.

Ranked 36th out of defensive tackles last year according to PFF. Honestly he barely he gives you anything above what you can't already get from the other interior players on the roster, of which you have more than you need. It's not a valuable skill-set in the modern NFL and not one that should be attracting a tag. 

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He's an underachiever for a former 6th overall pick, but he's still a good player.

He’s a good player based on what? I mean, I’m not trying to be argumentative here but everything I’ve read or heard is he’s just not very good. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

He’s a good player based on what? I mean, I’m not trying to be argumentative here but everything I’ve read or heard is he’s just not very good. 

Where have you heard he isn't very good? Please show me.

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/three-leonard-williams-stats-that-show-how-he-can-affect-giants-defense/311312440

The 6-foot-5, 291-pound lineman excels in other statistical marks, especially in the run game. For example, Williams has 97 run stops since 2016, which is tied third with Minnesota DL Linval Joseph in that span. Also, Williams makes tackles in the backfield, totaling 43 of them in the same timeframe which is third in the league. 

There is also this stat: Since 2016, Williams is second only to All-Pro DL Aaron Donald with 38.7 percent of his run tackles going for loss or no gain. With the Giants currently ranked 22nd in the league with 122.4 yards allowed on the ground per game, having a force like Williams to help curb that trend will be huge. 

He's no doubt an underachiever for his draft status, but he's been great against the run his entire career by all metrics. He has also been very good at generating pressure throughout his entire career. His issues with finishing pressures and actually getting sacks is his one huge shortcoming and has been well documented.

8 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Ranked 36th out of defensive tackles last year according to PFF.

I don't know where you found those stats. This is also from PFF regarding Williams:

"No player had a bigger deference between his pressure rate rank and sack rate rank than Williams, who split the year between the Giants and the New York Jets prior to his trade. Among 87 interior defenders with 200 or more pass-rushing snaps, Williams ranked 13th in pressure rate at 11.3% but his one sack in 424 pass-rushing snaps put him near the bottom of the list in sack rate. On the other hand, Williams led the position with 19 quarterback hits. A few fractions of a second faster on several of those plays and that sack total looks a whole lot more respectable."

Is it possible to be 13th in pressure rate and 36th in pressures at your position? I guess, if everyone else has a ton more pass rushing snaps. I'd argue the rate is more indicative of pass rushing skill than total pressures though.

• Like 1