The Ant-Man Franchised

The Gnat

36 minutes ago, AWinfield26 said:

Man 20 plus million $ in safeties....could this be the end of the Hitman?? I can't see them keeping both at that price. At 31 it may be time to trade Harrison Smith before it's too late. This upsets me greatly as I love HS but I think Zimmer said it "This is a young man's league" or something like that. 

We not trading Hitman, and Harris is going to eventually come to a sub $10M AAV contract extension with Vikings, or he will eventually sign his $11.4M tag. That is likely more money than his career earnings.

Its just business and negotiations.

In other words, we're going to be in deep cap hell until Kirk's contract is done.

And if Zimmer gets his way....again....we're going to have to sign Dalvin to a contract and we'll just be continuously pushing money back another year for the next 2-3 years just to be able to sign average players in FA and it's not even like we're a strong Super Bowl contender with minimal holes....

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

In other words, we're going to be in deep cap hell until Kirk's contract is done.

And if Zimmer gets his way....again....we're going to have to sign Dalvin to a contract and we'll just be continuously pushing money back another year for the next 2-3 years just to be able to sign average players in FA and it's not even like we're a strong Super Bowl contender with minimal holes....

We’re basically in the same situation as every team who’s paying elite franchise QB money, we just don’t have that elite franchise QB. Unfortunately, this is the new NFL. You’ll make $20m being an okay starting QB. Just wait until Mahomes gets paid and what the does to reset the market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

You hit the nail on the head there. It's going to be hard to compete for a Super Bowl this way.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

We’re basically in the same situation as every team who’s paying elite franchise QB money, we just don’t have that elite franchise QB. Unfortunately, this is the new NFL. You’ll make $20m being an okay starting QB. Just wait until Mahomes gets paid and what the does to reset the market.

It's frustrating. 

I mean when Mahomes gets his mega deal, you know he can carry the team to a Super Bowl so you can get by with having a couple holes here and there because he'll overcome those holes. Hell, just look at the Chiefs defense in the playoffs. Pretty dreadful but he was able to overcome those holes and win a Super Bowl.

But with Kirk, he needs a running game. He needs a defense. He needs a line. He needs everything to be nearly perfect yet his contract makes it extremely hard to fill those holes he needs filled to win. Catch-22.

I mean we CAN fill those holes in the draft but that'll rely on Rick hitting on early picks that can be immediate starters and let's be honest, between our 2 firsts and 2nd....we'll be lucky as heck if 2 of the 3 are immediate and serviceable (or better) starters in 2020. 

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

I think extending Harris would be a mistake its just to much money invested in the position, unless they have plans to move on from Smith after this season and I dont see that, Smith is still playing great high level football and DBs especially safeties traditionally age well.

I would rather take want ever we could get or even just pull the tag in the end, I'm hoping this report is just a leverage play.

Ppl really want to give up more talent? He might be our 5th best defensive player.

If we resind the tag, what do ppl really think we'll do with $11.4M? Spend it on below average players? Overspend on average (at best players)? Extended Cook, and possibly take on cap hit this season?

I don't see much positives at this point, beyond rolling over cap to next season

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Ppl really want to give up more talent? He might be our 5th best defensive player.

If we resind the tag, what do ppl really think we'll do with $11.4M? Spend it on below average players? Overspend on average (at best players)? Extended Cook, and possibly take on cap hit this season?

I don't see much positives at this point, beyond rolling over cap to next season

I really don't see the point in not extending him. Played top a top tier safety the last 2 seasons, and it will just be that much of a help for young corners to have 2 elite safeties coaching them up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moss_is_1 said:

I really don't see the point in not extending him. Played top a top tier safety the last 2 seasons, and it will just be that much of a help for young corners to have 2 elite safeties coaching them up. 

Plus Smith has to start falling off at some point, right?

10 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Pretty dreadful but he was able to overcome those holes and win a Super Bowl.

And he didn't have to play against Baltimore or New England, which was the biggest advantage.

I'm not all that concerned.  Harry's contract is up after the 2021 season, so even if he's extended, his number will come down at his age  and there is no one else defensively that's going to command big money in the next 3 years (Hughes is only on year 3 and he's the only one that has even a shot at getting big money).  It'll be tough this year cap-wise, but I don't see it being a big problem the next couple of years.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And he didn't have to play against Baltimore or New England, which was the biggest advantage.

I'm not all that concerned.  Harry's contract is up after the 2021 season, so even if he's extended, his number will come down at his age  and there is no one else defensively that's going to command big money in the next 3 years (Hughes is only on year 3 and he's the only one that has even a shot at getting big money).  It'll be tough this year cap-wise, but I don't see it being a big problem the next couple of years.  

Helps when you miss on first round picks from 17-19 and don’t have  anyone worth extending.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I think they would have beat New England....Baltimore....not sure.

I'm not confident that would have been the case.  They've always had trouble with New England...and it even took a 17-pt 2nd quarter and then hold on for dear life to beat them in December.