The Ant-Man Franchised

The Gnat

10 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Perhaps the teams willingness to place the tag on Harris is due to uncertainty at the CB position?  With this uncertainty, it might pay to have two elite safeties in the backfield to minimize mistakes, and to make the overall backfield that much better?  In another season, in which there were little to no turnover at CB, the team might have just let him walk, and drafted his replacement.

If Trae Waynes was worth keeping, they would have made sure to not let him walk, and wouldn’t have been able to afford to tag Harris. Waynes just wasn’t ever that good and certainly not a building block for this team. Disappointing for a top 11 pick. Very solid player but it seems he couldn’t make the next leap.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-05-19 at 9:01 AM, vikingsrule said:

If Trae Waynes was worth keeping, they would have made sure to not let him walk, and wouldn’t have been able to afford to tag Harris. Waynes just wasn’t ever that good and certainly not a building block for this team. Disappointing for a top 11 pick. Very solid player but it seems he couldn’t make the next leap.

Waynes was just not that good. He looked like he would never be good after that Pitt game early in his career ... Didn't seem to have any it factor

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Waynes was just not that good. He looked like he would never be good after that Pitt game early in his career ... Didn't seem to have any it factor

What exactly is this "it factor" you reference?  I think Waynes was average to above average in most segments of his game.  Was he an All-Pro, shut down corner such as Richard Sherman or Derelle Revis in their prime?  No.  Was he serviceable in the Vikings coverage scheme? Yes.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

What exactly is this "it factor" you reference?  I think Waynes was average to above average in most segments of his game.  Was he an All-Pro, shut down corner such as Richard Sherman or Derelle Revis in their prime?  No.  Was he serviceable in the Vikings coverage scheme? Yes.

I agree.  Was he elite?  No.  But, in today's game, he is and will be a good starter for years to come.  I wouldn't have paid him as much as the Bengals did, but I imagine the Vikings, if they had the cap space, would have kept him around for maybe 10, but they knew (and probably from discussions with his agent in the past) that Waynes was going to get more elsewhere, so they let him go.  

• Like 1

On 2020-06-05 at 8:01 AM, Virginia Viking said:

He was average and serviceable as a backup. In no way should he be classified as good, if there is intention of competing. Vikings performed fair, despite his merely average play. 

Maybe I'm biased, i didn't want them to pick up the 5th year option to put themselves in a position to rely on him.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:13 PM, CriminalMind said:

He was average and serviceable as a backup. In no way should he be classified as good, if there is intention of competing. Vikings performed fair, despite his merely average play. 

Maybe I'm biased, i didn't want them to pick up the 5th year option to put themselves in a position to rely on him.

Saying he is just a serviceable backup is kind of ridiculous.  He's a starter-level player at minimum...and he was above average in spurts...just not last year.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Chris Cook was the original Xavier Rhodes, in that he too never could intercept the ball.  But, it should be noted that at least the Vikings got Everson Griffen out of the trade that got them Cook in that draft.  

Rhodes, for being as good as he was, did at least intercept 10 balls in his career, with 5 coming in 2017.

Not good, but not Chris Cook level either!

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

Rhodes, for being as good as he was, did at least intercept 10 balls in his career, with 5 coming in 2017.

Not good, but not Chris Cook level either!

True, but I remember how long it took him to get them...like Cook, it'd hit him practically in the hands and he couldn't hold on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

True, but I remember how long it took him to get them...like Cook, it'd hit him practically in the hands and he couldn't hold on. 

probably because zimmer made him practice with boxing gloves on. so often early in his career it looked like he was trying to punch the ball mid-air instead of just catching it.

• 1 month later...