The Ant-Man Franchised

The Gnat

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why trade a starter for a fourth? Is that the proposal? That's nuts. Unless they have a commitment from an expensive player they really want....

It is because the team cannot keep all of their players given cap constraints. They move Harris if and only if they think that cap space is better invested somewhere else.

Personally, I think it is better invested in other positions. Even with that, I wouldn't trade him for less than a 4th round pick. 

9 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Why trade a starter for a fourth? Is that the proposal? That's nuts. Unless they have a commitment from an expensive player they really want....

Because getting anything for a player who was not in your long term plans is a win. 

No one would have blinked an eye had the Vikings not used the franchise tag and let Harris hit the open market, but now they’re concerned about trade compensation? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Because getting anything for a player who was not in your long term plans is a win. 

No one would have blinked an eye had the Vikings not used the franchise tag and let Harris hit the open market, but now they’re concerned about trade compensation? 

Not necessarily.

Vikings were looking for a fair medium deal with Ant. It didnt transpire, so the tag was used to protect your asset. Getting take good trade compensation is still retaining a good asset

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Not necessarily.

Vikings were looking for a fair medium deal with Ant. It didnt transpire, so the tag was used to protect your asset. Getting take good trade compensation is still retaining a good asset

If the Vikings were truly interested in giving Harris a long term deal it would have happened last year. When the Vikings want to keep one of their own, they get the contract done before the final year of their deal. 

Zimmer’s comments from the combine don’t suggest the team is interested in paying big money for Harris. And there’s a reason we haven’t heard anything about contract talk between Minnesota and Harris. But we have heard and seen plenty of reports about the Vikings looking to trade him. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings were truly interested in giving Harris a long term deal it would have happened last year.

He wasn't a full-time starter before last year and, in fact, he was still a RFA, I believe, which long-term extensions aren't done for (I'm not even sure if they can). 

Edited by swede700

41 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think Anthony Harris is ready for a fresh start. Good player but not worth what we are paying when we have cap issues and other positions that need to be filled that are more important.

But then I raise the question as to whether those other positions that need to be filled are better filled through free agency or draft?  If it's better to be filled by the draft, then it's okay to retain Harris.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings were truly interested in giving Harris a long term deal it would have happened last year. When the Vikings want to keep one of their own, they get the contract done before the final year of their deal. 

Zimmer’s comments from the combine don’t suggest the team is interested in paying big money for Harris. And there’s a reason we haven’t heard anything about contract talk between Minnesota and Harris. But we have heard and seen plenty of reports about the Vikings looking to trade him. 

Well that's should be all part of the negotiation process.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

He wasn't a full-time starter before last year and, in fact, he was still a RFA, I believe, which long-term extensions aren't done for (I'm not even sure if they can). 

CJ Ham wasn’t a full time starter before last year. He was also set to be a RFA. He just got a long term deal. 

• Like 1

If they could get a 3rd I would be stoked, we just cant afford to keep everyone at this point and our defense has been strong before with less play out of his position. We are at a point with our cap where we need to build through draft so a 3rd would be huge for attempting to fill bigger holes.

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

CJ Ham wasn’t a full time starter before last year. He was also set to be a RFA. He just got a long term deal. 

Then I don't know, other than Ham would be a lot cheaper because of the position he plays.  I was just speculating based upon what I had read elsewhere.  Thanks for providing that, as I was not aware that Ham was a RFA again.  

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

i would have blinked. They can't lose all their starters on defense and be good. 

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

i would have blinked. They can't lose all their starters on defense and be good. 

I believe they can be good. Maybe not great. But this team went from worst in the league in 2013 to good in 2014 with many of the same players. I think Zimmer abd his scheme will always leave the team with a good defense. 

I’m just worried that with Zimmer’s philosophy surrounding the offense, that anything short of a great defense will result in average team performance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have been “actively discussing” a long-term contract with Anthony Harris. Now, there is “increased belief” inside the team that Harris will play for Minnesota in 2020. The Vikings have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal with Harris or he will play under the $11.441 million tag.

Harris’ preference is to sign a long-term deal with Minnesota, per Tomasson, and Harris wants to be among the highest-paid safeties in the NFL. That would put his yearly average somewhere around $14 million per season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/31/report-vikings-discussing-long-term-deal-with-anthony-harris/

Man 20 plus million $ in safeties....could this be the end of the Hitman?? I can't see them keeping both at that price. At 31 it may be time to trade Harrison Smith before it's too late. This upsets me greatly as I love HS but I think Zimmer said it "This is a young man's league" or something like that. 

Edited by AWinfield26