Browns sign TE Austin Hooper

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He’s a very reliable tight end.  Won’t argue that.  He doesn’t create the way top receiving tight ends do.  He is prime Jason Witten is what I’ve called him.  Extremely reliable paid like a true difference maker is a bad deal.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He’s a very reliable tight end.  Won’t argue that.  He doesn’t create the way top receiving tight ends do.  He is prime Jason Witten is what I’ve called him.  Extremely reliable paid like a true difference maker is a bad deal.

I mean yeah, hes not as explosive as some other top guys like Kittle but he does the most important thing VERY well. Catch the dam ball when its thrown to him lol

Baker has also seemed like a guy who loves his TE especially in the RZ. If Hooper is the 2nd best TE in the NFL at contested catches it seems like they could have a nice chemistry together when they get into the RZ and all of the jump balls start getting thrown.

The Browns targeting Hooper and paying him seems more like a 'fit' type of signing rather than a 'great talent and we'll figure it out later' type of signing.

Edited by AkronsWitness

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean yeah, hes not as explosive as some other top guys like Kittle but he does the most important thing VERY well. Catch the dam ball when its thrown to him lol

Baker has also seemed like a guy who loves his TE especially in the RZ. If Hooper is the 2nd best TE in the NFL at contested catches it seems like they could have a nice chemistry together when they get into the RZ and all of the jump balls start getting thrown.

The Browns targeting Hooper and paying him seems more like a 'fit' type of signing rather than a 'great talent and we'll figure it out later' type of signing.

The biggest problem here is almost none of his catches are contested because we scheme him open.  Their was something linked a bit back showing that 75 to 80% of Hoopers catches are from uncontested spots in the zone he sits in.   As said i like Hooper but i wouldn't have given him anywhere near 11 million for what he has shown and provided.  I would have went as high as 6 mil and thats about it as he isn't a massive difference maker in an offense and our offense didn't change much at all when he got injured this year.   Im hoping Hurst who for sure has more upside than Hooper can change the way our TE position is played and makes it more of a weapon instead of a sit in zone safety net. 

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

prime jason witten is a hall of famer?