Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

4 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

He plays the same position as Burton and our 2 TE set is not going to be able to run block.  Are we gonna spend an early pick on our #3 flex TE?  

Probably not, whether Burton is still around, or whatever. This is a panic move, no doubt about it. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

17th in receiving yards among TEs last year getting less than 4 targets per game. Not what he was BY ANY STRETCH, but a functional NFL receiving TE, at an absurd price but on what’s surely effectively a 1-year deal. To hear (see) you talk about it you’d think we just signed Fendi Onubon. JFC, man. 

He has declined every year for the past 4 years.

Physically he is cooked and many assumed he was retiring.

He was a functional receiving threat in a better offense.

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

17th in receiving yards among TEs last year getting less than 4 targets per game. Not what he was BY ANY STRETCH, but a functional NFL receiving TE, at an absurd price but on what’s surely effectively a 1-year deal. To hear (see) you talk about it you’d think we just signed Fendi Onubon. JFC, man. 

But to spend what they spent on a rental, when they assuredly could've gotten better, or at least comparable, and younger is foolish.

He had Rodgers, a top 2-3 qb throwing him the rock as a #2 option, and he still was 17th in yards. He's only getting a downgrade in QB and supporting cast, so don't expect anything even close to 17th.

Just now, WindyCity said:

He has declined every year for the past 4 years.

Physically he is cooked and many assumed he was retiring.

He was a functional receiving threat in a better offense.

I swear if I gave you a stack of $50 bills you’d find a reason to be pissed about it. You’ve been bitching about wanting a competent receiving TE for ******* 18 months. We sign a competent receiving TE (obviously strictly a placeholder type signing) and you’re acting like someone stepped on your nuts wearing golf spikes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Romen said:

But to spend what they spent on a rental, when they assuredly could've gotten better, or at least comparable, and younger is foolish.

He had Rodgers, a top 2-3 qb throwing him the rock as a #2 option, and he still was 17th in yards. He's only getting a downgrade in QB and supporting cast, so don't expect anything even close to 17th.

He wasn’t a #2 option there. He was in the group with all the other non-Adams receivers getting almost an exactly equal share in targets. 

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He wasn’t a #2 option there. He was in the group with all the other non-Adams receivers getting almost an exactly equal share in targets. 

Which says more about him than them. He was the bigger name, the guy that would replace Jared Cook and he failed terribly at that. He was supposed to be the #2 is more appropriate, but the point still stands.

1 minute ago, The_Romen said:

Which says more about him than them. He was the bigger name, the guy that would replace Jared Cook and he failed terribly at that. He was supposed to be the #2 is more appropriate, but the point still stands.

He’s not a game changing player any more, and I don’t like the signing. That doesn’t mean he’s not still a competent chain mover and red zone threat. He’s not a great one any more (hence me disliking the signing on value). Let’s not pretend that Graham in our 2019 offense wouldn’t have made a noteworthy difference in Burton’s absence though. It undoubtedly would have. 

8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I swear if I gave you a stack of $50 bills you’d find a reason to be pissed about it. You’ve been bitching about wanting a competent receiving TE for ******* 18 months. We sign a competent receiving TE (obviously strictly a placeholder type signing) and you’re acting like someone stepped on your nuts wearing golf spikes. 

We disagree on what he is.

And as you said no matter what the contract is idiotic.

I like 50.00 bills they are awesome.

Pace sucks, that is why I complain.

• Like 1

I dont hate the siging. Just dont understand why we paid so much. Who were we bidding against???

That being said, we revamped the TE position, Harris ranked as a top blocker, and now Graham will just make catches, with Burton as his backup/3rd TE.

I just want to see the OL improvements we make and I will judge then.

I think we are really in on Tru for this next year so I wasnt expecting big money for that backup QB position.

Wow didn't expect most of you guys to be that livid about this one. 

Some of you guys wanted Olsen who is no better than Graham is at this point and pretty much got the same coin as Graham is being reported to get.

Aside from the money I don't mind this. Graham is a huge target with soft mitts and will help in red zone immensely.

• Like 4

Just now, topwop1 said:

Wow didn't expect most of you guys to be that livid about this one. 

Some of you guys wanted Olsen who is no better than Graham is at this point and pretty much got the same coin as Graham is being reported to get.

Aside from the money I don't mind this. Graham is a huge target with soft mitts and will help in red zone immensely.

Right.... Pace paid his buddy too much money basically....not getting the outrage....9 mil guarantee really isnt even super crazy...maybe 6 or 7 and we would be happy? But he is staying the whole year anyway so the guarantee really isnt even an issue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I dont hate the siging. Just dont understand why we paid so much. Who were we bidding against???

That being said, we revamped the TE position, Harris ranked as a top blocker, and now Graham will just make catches, with Burton as his backup/3rd TE.

I just want to see the OL improvements we make and I will judge then.

I think we are really in on Tru for this next year so I wasnt expecting big money for that backup QB position.

None of the TEs you listed are gold.

Graham just got punted by Green Bay after declining for 4 straight years.

Harris got punted after 1 year in Cleveland.

Burton is broken down.

• Like 1