Bengals sign CB Trae Waynes (3 years, $42 M)

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Always had potential to be great, thought if he was coached right it would happen. Which is strange to me because the vikings have seemed to do a good job developing their DBs in the last several years. Maybe he'll figure it out in Cinci. 

I never saw great potential in him. I did in Marcus Peters and was fuming when we passed on him back in 2015.

7 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Always had potential to be great, thought if he was coached right it would happen. Which is strange to me because the vikings have seemed to do a good job developing their DBs in the last several years. Maybe he'll figure it out in Cinci. 

Hopefully it's a case of different people learn in different ways.  Zimmer has been very good in developing DB's, but he's not infallible.  I get the overpay, and the $20 million this year is the Bengals way of essentially guaranteeing money without having to call it guaranteed money.  We have the cap space, and it lowers his AAV down to $11 million for years 2 and 3 of the contract.  Dre turns 31 this year, while Waynes will only be 28 in a few months, and Dre has enough baggage to where it was time to go.  This move makes it so the Bengals aren't pigeon holed into taking a CB at 33 or 65 and giving him significant playing time immediately.  With Jackson, Waynes, and Darius Phillips, that's a solid top 3 CB (if Phillips can be consistent with the potential he has flashed)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elky said:

What's with these Minnesota CBs that show potential early on but then crash and burn?

Who’s all crashed and burned? Waynes isn’t bad, he’s average or maybe above average. Rhodes sure did but that’s on him more than anything else. Alexander is a solid slot CB who should get a solid deal soon enough from someone.

Every time I've seen Waynes play, he gets called for multiple PI/holding penalties. He seems to have a serious problem with playing the ball and not grabbing at a receiver.

Vikings are pretty slim at CB. Does this guarantee they go CB in the first round for like the 8th time in a row?

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Every time I've seen Waynes play, he gets called for multiple PI/holding penalties. He seems to have a serious problem with playing the ball and not grabbing at a receiver.

Vikings are pretty slim at CB. Does this guarantee they go CB in the first round for like the 8th time in a row?

It sure does, now that MN has two first round picks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He's had fewer penalties than Dre Kirkpatrick, who he's replacing, and Waynes is 3 years younger.

8 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Seems like they overpaid for Waynes. He's been an average at best CB for most of his career.

It’s an overpay, but that’s the cost of free agency. He’s being paid a ton up front, but his AAV is “only” $11 over the last two years. Not terrible.