Raiders sign DE Carl Nassib

oakdb36

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Jordan is a freak, remember he was drafting 3rd overall. He can be our "SLB"  who can blitz from different spots.

We really need to resign Jordan.  He did a great job on stunts/twists and he knocked a ball of two down as well.  I can’t say it enough he should be brought back.

• Like 1

I'm good with Carl....(Rick Grimes voice)

Fits the long DE that our D cord has had in the past. Fits the age/youth of vets Mayock has targeted. Is a hard worker/grinder that Gruden likes...If a DE is injured he's fill in solidly. I wanted a vet and this guy has room to grow compared to what I was thinking (vet on last legs)

Fills out the Defense from a draft perspective so we can go BPA with WR as our focus but not passing up a stud in another position if there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We really need to resign Jordan.  He did a great job on stunts/twists and he knocked a ball of two down as well.  I can’t say it enough he should be brought back.

Would love to see Jordan brought back. 

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Collins | Hurst

DT - Hankins | Hall

DE - Crosby | Jordan | Key 

• Like 4

So As anyone can see from my previous post I liked the player but not the cost of the deal.  I have this acquisition a lot of thought.....

I looked into when most pass rushers have their break out season.  Typically is is years 4-5 and at ages of 25-27.

Well, Nassib is going into his 5th season at age 27.  
Also, there is a trend where most pass rushers have 2 “build-up” years before their break out season.  Nassib has had two years of 6.0 and 6.5 sacks. 

Im not saying Nassib’s guaranteed to Breakout, but I think there’s a lot of reasons to forecast a statistical jump as he is entering His prime.

Thus, I can see why a Mayock paid The price he did for someone entering Their prime. 

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

So As anyone can see from my previous post I liked the player but not the cost of the deal.  I have this acquisition a lot of thought.....

I looked into when most pass rushers have their break out season.  Typically is is years 4-5 and at ages of 25-27.

Well, Nassib is going into his 5th season at age 27.  
Also, there is a trend where most pass rushers have 2 “build-up” years before their break out season.  Nassib has had two years of 6.0 and 6.5 sacks. 

Im not saying Nassib’s guaranteed to Breakout, but I think there’s a lot of reasons to forecast a statistical jump as he is entering His prime.

Thus, I can see why a Mayock paid The price he did for someone entering Their prime. 

Everyone keeps looking at Nassib pass rush ability, but his strength is in run defense. He's an upgrade over Mauro as a run defender and he can get after the passer a little. I never expect him to be more than a 6-8 sack guy. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 AM, big_palooka said:

Everyone keeps looking at Nassib pass rush ability, but his strength is in run defense. He's an upgrade over Mauro as a run defender and he can get after the passer a little. I never expect him to be more than a 6-8 sack guy. 

I can’t speak for others but I addressed his pass rush abilities because he’s already known as a good run defender.  I think he will peak as pass rusher in the next 2 years.  

But he’s as you said I think him playing LDE (vs RT and often TE) and Ferrell playing RDE (vs LDE) on early downs will  bring great run defense.  This will also free us Crosby to pass rush more effectively.  Crosby won’t be a DPR by any means because he’s actually good against the run.  But he won’t need to be worn down playing excessive snaps due to lack of other talent.  
I see Collins’ addition doing the same for Hurst and Hall.  

When I mentioned my forecast for a statistical jump for Nassib’s sacks I should have been more specific. I can see him going from 6/6.5 to 8/maybe 9 over the next 2 years.  I don’t expect 10+.  He’ll never be an elite PR.  I just see him as entering the NFL with skills but raw due to 1 year playing at PSU.  He’s been jumping around from 3/4 OLB to 4/3DE all 4 years in the NFL.  Obviously he did okay as a 3/4OLB but he’s a 6’7, 275 lb player who lacks bend and is all about power and hands.  He just seemed to be miscast.  But I will say having to play at OLB was prolly really good in forcing him to get better at bending, etc.  he could be maxed out and is who he will be.  I’m just saying that when you look at all the factors it’s (and the fact that DEs usually hit their peak at 26/27 that is reasonable (plus he’ll be working with a great DL coach And he’s a hard hard worker) to assume we are going to get the best years of Nassib’s career.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

I can’t speak for others but I addressed his pass rush abilities because he’s already known as a good run defender.  I think he will peak as pass rusher in the next 2 years.  

But he’s as you said I think him playing LDE (vs RT and often TE) and Ferrell playing RDE (vs LDE) on early downs will  bring great run defense.  This will also free us Crosby to pass rush more effectively.  Crosby won’t be a DPR by any means because he’s actually good against the run.  But he won’t need to be worn down playing excessive snaps due to lack of other talent.  

When I mentioned my forecast for a statistical jump for Nassib’s sacks I should have been more specific. I can see him going from 6/6.5 to 8/maybe 9 over the next 2 years.  I don’t expect 10+.  He’ll never be an elite PR.  I just see him as entering the NFL with skills but raw due to 1 year playing at PSU.  He’s been jumping around from 3/4 OLB to 4/3DE all 4 years in the NFL.  Obviously he did okay as a 3/4OLB but he’s a 6’7, 275 lb player who lacks bend and is all about power and hands.  He just seemed to be miscast.  But I will say having to play at OLB was prolly really good in forcing him to get better at bending, etc.  he could be maxed out and is who he will be.  I’m just saying that when you look at all the factors it’s (and the fact that DEs usually hit their peak at 26/27 that is reasonable (plus he’ll be working with a great DL coach And he’s a hard hard worker) to assume we are going to get the best years of Nassib’s career.

Interesting take. I actually think Nassib will be the primary backup rusher to give Ferrell and Crosby a break from time to time.

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Interesting take. I actually think Nassib will be the primary backup rusher to give Ferrell and Crosby a break from time to time.

He could be.  I just think he’ll start at LDE and Ferrell at RDE.  Like what we did with Mauro to start the year.  While Crosby isn’t a “starter” he’d receive more snaps then Nassib.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:
21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

TBH I’d keep Crosby in for as many snaps as we can, he improved greatly in the run game as the year progressed and was a real banshee against the pass. Nassib at this point is probably better and more complete as a player than Ferrell but I think Ferrell should be given the opportunity with Nassib spelling him frequently and coming on in our lighter pass rush fronts with Hurst inside and Crosby and potentially Key outside.