The NOT Too Early 2018 NFL Draft Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'd rather have Payne but it's going to be Guice. They'll probably try and land Settle in the second. 

I could go either way. NT round 1 & a RB in round 2 or Guice in round 1 and Settle in round 2 or a trade down in round 2 which nets us an OG and a NT in rounds 2 and 3. It could be Settle in round 2 after the trade down or an OG in round 2 and then a NT in round 3. I just hope we fill those 3 needs if the talent matches the need when we pick. 

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Idk that James dude stock rising . There's also a good chance Fitzpatrick will be at 13.

this would mean we have to go DL in the second. We will sign a DL in free agency but probably some low key guy .

If Fitz is available at 13, I think we should take him too and there’s an argument to be made for taking Denzel Ward if he falls to us as well.

I’m not sure that we’re going to be doing much in FA on the DL. I hope we get the NT in the draft, even if it’s a second round guy like Settle.

I know people don’t like to hear it because our 3 vets on the DL are just Jags and aren’t anything spectacular but we do have Hood, McClain and McGee to compete with Lanier for those other spots on the DL behind Allen, Ioannidis and hopefully an upgrade at NT.

Maybe that’s not the ideal situation but it seems obvious to me that Tomsula, Manusky and Gruden must have seen enough on film from them and like their effort because I’ve heard no true discussion in the media of any of these 3 vets being cut. I’ve only seen a suggestions from fans that they feel we could do better and perhaps that’s true, but perhaps it’s not too. 

I think there’s a pretty good chance that 2 of these 3 vets are on our team next year and maybe all 3 again competing with Lanier for snaps behind Allen, Ioannidis and a FA or high draft pick NT.

1 hour ago, TKellion said:

My want from this draft has become a RB and LG in the first 2 rounds.Hopefully a trade down will recoup a 3rd rounder for us.I am on the Guice and Braden Smith bandwagon from here on out.

I feel you but it’s much easier to find a serviceable LG or have Nsekhe start at LG - and draft a C/OG later to develop - than it is to find a true run stuffing NT who is stout at the point of attack and who can push the pocket when posing teams run.

I think if Fitzpatrick or James is there you almost have to pull the trigger. Even if that means punting rb until the 4th round for a guy like akrum wadley. I hate even saying that cause I want a stud rb. If we don't daft a guard that can come in and play right away the rb won't do much good.

If the draft fell to us with Fitzpatrick on the board I would take him and Braden Smith in the 2nd. That's 2 day one starters. Can't ask for much more than that 

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think if Fitzpatrick or James is there you almost have to pull the trigger. Even if that means punting rb until the 4th round for a guy like akrum wadley. I hate even saying that cause I want a stud rb. If we don't daft a guard that can come in and play right away the rb won't do much good.

If the draft fell to us with Fitzpatrick on the board I would take him and Braden Smith in the 2nd. That's 2 day one starters. Can't ask for much more than that 

I dunno man. Hunt was the #1 rusher last season and his LG all year was complete arse. Seriously. Not that they shouldn't try to upgrade there, but if the spot is currently penciled in with hot garbage already? you probably won't need to use a rd 1 or 2 pick on an upgrade. If they did, fine by me. Just sayin'...

27 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I dunno man. Hunt was the #1 rusher last season and his LG all year was complete arse. Seriously. Not that they shouldn't try to upgrade there, but if the spot is currently penciled in with hot garbage already? you probably won't need to use a rd 1 or 2 pick on an upgrade. If they did, fine by me. Just sayin'...

It would be different if we had a returning starter at LG that wasn't very good, but we don't have anyone on the roster that has started at LG before.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It would be different if we had a returning starter at LG that wasn't very good, but we don't have anyone on the roster that has started at LG before.  

Technically, Arie Kouandjio has started eight games in his career (2 in 2016, 6 in 2017) Tyler Catalina started two (both last year).

If we amend your statement to be "we don't have anyone good on the roster that has started at LG before," then I think that's more accurate.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Technically, Arie Kouandjio has started eight games in his career (2 in 2016, 6 in 2017) Tyler Catalina started two (both last year).

If we amend your statement to be "we don't have anyone good on the roster that has started at LG before," then I think that's more accurate.

Those are spot starts for injured players.  I meant we don’t have a guy on the roster who’s entered a season as a starter at LG.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Those are spot starts for injured players.  I meant we don’t have a guy on the roster who’s entered a season as a starter at LG.

While true, don't forget the Redskins drafted Kouandjio three years ago and those 8 spot starts are all they've gotten for him.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

While true, don't forget the Redskins drafted Kouandjio three years ago and those 8 spot starts are all they've gotten for him.

Don't forget that Kouandjio didn't make the Redskins opening day 53 man roster last year.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Don't forget that Kouandjio didn't make the Redskins opening day 53 man roster last year.  

True.

Like I said, if we amend the statement to anyone "good" on the roster, I think we're both right.

Sufficed to say, the Redskins really should get a new left guard, either in free agency or high up in the draft. An argument could be made for two guards spread across both options to taste.

Archived